Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla moments

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I caught an Uber from my conference hotel to the Eastside Auto Spa where I'd left The Flying Squirrel for her Opti-Coat treatment. My driver had never heard of Tesla, but I explained it was electric, and he had a cousin who had a Volt. We talked comparisons on the drive.

We pulled into the lot and I pointed out my car, glistening in her newly-polished glory. The guy braked. "GIRRL. That is so much better than a Volt!"

:D

Hard to hear over the engine roar but jacked up diesel pickup driver stopped along side while the falcon door was open and yelled "Is that the one that was just released? Want to trade?" The toxic fumes increased as he pulled away. He obviously knew about the car, was curious and not disparaging, but what he was driving was the polar opposite. Future EV driver I hope.

Reactions: SW2Fiddler
Recently the place I stop to grab precious precious coffee on the way to work closed temporarily for a remodel and I've been forced (FORCED, I tell ya :p) to drive slightly out of the way to another coffee establishment to get my fix.

On Saturday when I was swooping in to grab 20oz of the good stuff the shift manager pointed to my car, visible through the vestibule, and asked if it was mine.

He and the other workers proceeded to ask all of the usual questions which I was more than happy to answer. If I hadn't been running slightly late (as per usual) I would have offered to show them around the car but I needed to skedaddle.

One of the workers commented on the exchange earlier this week "Are you the guy with the car everyone was freaking out over?" to which I replied in the affirmative; she only had to say "I don't get what the big deal is, I'm not really much of a car person I guess." Such tragedy, not knowing the thrill of a Tesla Grin ;)

Reactions: forumman83
My wife and I stayed at a very nice hotel that had only valet parking available. I didn't like the idea of letting someone else drive my model S...but without another option, it happened. The guy told me not to worry -- that they park all of the high end cars up front. Later that night, my wife and I were walking past the "high end" cars and two couples were walking in the other direction and one guy was pointing them out to his friends, "Check it out! Mercedes AMG, Audi R8, and of course a Tesla! The best of the bunch." Made my day just overhearing this. :)

I had a co-worker a few weeks ago notice I was the owner of the car. He asked me "how long does it take to warm it up?" I had no idea what he meant or how to respond. Awkward silence ensued. He asked me the same question again a few days later. The same awkward silence ensued. He has since stopped asking me :D I still have no idea what he means.

Reactions: hiroshiy
I had a co-worker a few weeks ago notice I was the owner of the car. He asked me "how long does it take to warm it up?" I had no idea what he meant or how to respond. Awkward silence ensued. He asked me the same question again a few days later. The same awkward silence ensued. He has since stopped asking me :D I still have no idea what he means.

Why not just ask, "What do you mean?"

12 hours after reserving my M3, I had my first real Tesla Time moment in the office. I mentioned the reservation to a colleague, and the conversation drew more people in, asking about range, how to charge, Supercharging is free??? I got a gratz for leading the charge (har) into the future. Thanks to all of you who contributed to the Secret Master Plan!

Reactions: taldric
Not sure if this counts as a "Tesla moment" :)
Charging at the Supercharger in Auburn MA (which is located in a quite shady area for my taste btw) - van driver idling nearby sees me walking away, opens the window and shouts: "Is that a Ford?". I was thinking for a second to tell him "No, it's a Tesla", but then decided to go with a: "Yes!" :D

Took the family for a drive tonight, ended up well into Toronto at a place that doesn't normally see too many Tesla's. Anyway, we park and the guy running the small nutrition store in front of our car runs out and says "nice! did you know Tesla is going to sell a less expensive car in a few years?!" I answered that I had indeed put down a deposit for one. He then says "come on, tell me there's something wrong with this car, right?!" I said "yeah, not enough power...<grinning>". Spent 30 minutes showing him around the car, a few more people come over, we discuss Tesla's for 30 minutes. Happens all the time. People love these cars.

I had another nice Tesla moment today, courtesy of the Model 3 launch and PR. This morning I brought my daughter to tennis lessons per our normal Saturday routine and joined the group of dads who I usually chat with while we watch our kids play. We've been on this routine for nearly two years now.

We've never discussed cars before and though I know at least one was very curious about the Model S, he never brought it up. This morning, however, everyone wanted to ask me about my experiences with Tesla and to talk about the Model 3 (two said they may put down deposits). We went through the normal questions that pop up and I think I convinced two of the dads to go to our local showroom to arrange test drives of the Model S and to learn more about the 3. Fun stuff!

My 3 year old granddaughter was riding her tricycle in the driveway. We called her inside and she said she would park her tricycle but first she had to plug it in.
It's pretty amazing to think that she may very well never drive an ICE vehicle in her whole life. Even some kids who are a good deal older may not ever do that, just like most drivers today don't know how to drive a stick-shifter car. A true paradigm shift.

Reactions: Andyw2100
Went up to my 79 year old Mother's house this evening to move some stuff for her. She's not really a car person, but has indulged my love for my Model S. First question in the door... "Did you manage to reserve a Model 3? I've been hearing plenty about them". So I pulled up the Model 3 photos on the Tesla site for her on her computer and told her "No, I reserved 2 of them. One for (my wife) and..."

She interrupted, "The other one for me, right?"

Completely serious. She'll be in her eighties by the time it arrives. But she wants it. So I guess the second reservation is for her.