Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Motors Stockholder Meeting - Tuesday, June 4

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Nation, these are our rights as consumers that they are screwing with.

Interstate Commerce Laws are Federal laws, states can't enforce statutes that contradict those laws.

It might be time for a potential owner in Texas or NC to sue the state for blocking their right to information on an American product they may wish to purchase.

Sadly, someone will have to make an example to stop the nonsense.

Any attorneys living in those states that feel like taking on that battle?

Impressive shareholder's meeting. Elon answered all the questions well and exuded confidence in Tesla's future. He was honest and warm. Can't ask for anything more.

Now let the June 20th speculation continue. :)

Summary of BIG ANNOUNCEMENTS
1. Product architecture 7 years with refresh at 3 years and redesign at 7.
2. GEN III will have the form-factor of the Model S and will try to have autopilot.
3. Gross Margins on Gen III will be lower than the 25% projected for Models S and X in order to increase market share and improve affordability.
4. minimum 40,000 units/year demand
5. going from 34 Stores and Galleries to 50.
6. Lot of opportunity in middle America
7. Will have 70 service centers which will soon show up, prior to opening, on teslamotors.com
8. Model X doors will have pinch strips and proximity sensors.
9. End of 2016 will premier Gen III
10. Elon thinks there should be an incentive program for Tesla owners who "sell" cars to their friends.
11. Quick charging is the final announcement and there will be a LIVE DEMONSTRATION on June 20.
12. 120kw charging speed is not the end of the improvements to Supercharging.
13. Zero rent or tiny rent for Supercharging.
14. Expand sales, service and supercharging to rest of world middle of 2014

2. GEN III will have the form-factor of the Model S and will try to have autopilot.

Actually he said gen III would be in the same family design wise. Given that it will have to be aerodynamic like the S, I take that to mean they won't look *very* different, but I don't think it will be a scaled down model S (nor should it be)

1. Product architecture 7 years with refresh at 3 years and redesign at 7.
3. Gross Margins on Gen III will be lower than the 25% projected for Models S and X in order to increase market share and improve affordability.
4. minimum 40,000 units/year demand
5. going from 34 Stores and Galleries to 50.
6. Lot of opportunity in middle America
7. Will have 70 service centers which will soon show up, prior to opening, on teslamotors.com
8. Model X doors will have pinch strips and proximity sensors.
9. End of 2016 will premier Gen III
10. Elon thinks there should be an incentive program for Tesla owners who "sell" cars to their friends.
11. Quick charging is the final announcement and there will be a LIVE DEMONSTRATION on June 20.
12. 120kw charging speed is not the end of the improvements to Supercharging.
13. Zero rent or tiny rent for Supercharging.
14. Expand sales, service and supercharging to rest of world middle of 2014

I think it's maybe a teensy bit much to say these were "BIG ANNOUNCEMENTS" especially with words like "will" and other rather factual verbs. What I heard Elon say were statements couched in the context that he was speaking estimates, target goals, hope to, aiming for, etc., nothing set in stone or definite.

I hope he's way underpromising on GenIII's timeline and hope they overdeliver on that front with a launch sooner rather than later.

Things I really liked (while I worked w loud power tools so I missed some):

-Brand- he's not a big fan. Paraphrasing - "make a great product, keep improving it, that's your brand."
-the T-shirt
-gas stations "suck" (my hero)
-complete absence of hucksterism, the least pitchman-sell you something kind-of-guy ever in his position. Really great, but how does he get his way among big groups of powerful/pushy people? So far so good.

Things I really liked (while I worked w loud power tools so I missed some):

-Brand- he's not a big fan. Paraphrasing - "make a great product, keep improving it, that's your brand."
-the T-shirt
-gas stations "suck" (my hero)
-complete absence of hucksterism, the least pitchman-sell you something kind-of-guy ever in his position. Really great, but how does he get his way among big groups of powerful/pushy people? So far so good.

By being smarter (by quite a bit) than everyone else in a room. He tested off the charts by IBM as a teenager and full scholarship to stanford for PhD in materials/battery design & engineering. Quit after 2 days.

We can speculate and I bet that someone on this board (probably more than one) has charted out a course that will provide swap or fast recharge or metal-air quick charge (or all of them) but Elon and has a $10B company and $762,000,000 in cash ready to do something unexpected.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes that was me. Is it only voice or video?

Kevin +1

Hey I made the suggestion on that, and then I offered the proposal of giving one year of free service(value of $600) for each new sale. He thinks it is an interesting idea!

The look on his face said no. I'm VERY GLAD you brought it up and he did seem very enthusiastic to do "something" but not sure that's it.

My guess is part process and part logic:

1. The cost of what you are offering has to be low but the perceived value has to be high. Your proposal may or may not fit the bill as Elon announced that service is break even.

2. Giving you a higher resale value on your trade-in might fit the bill.

3. Free battery swap upgrade (if/when this is announced).

4. Free 4G

5. Upgrade safety features like parking sensor and blind spot detection (in EU already). I like this since has low cost and enhances safety for previous purchasers.

6. Upgrade battery when next larger batteries become available. 20% discount with 1 sale, all the way up to free with 5.

7. Discount solar city

8. Free grid tie for your car

9. Choice of free accessory of some sort

10. Win a dinner with Elon Musk?

11. Other

Hey I made the suggestion on that, and then I offered the proposal of giving one year of free service(value of $600) for each new sale. He thinks it is an interesting idea!
Go watch the video, at about 40 minutes.

Loved your questions about the June 20th announcement (easily the best question of the night!) but I don't expect to see this proposa ever happening. Would be cool buy c'mon, anyone who has a Model S is going to evangelize it for free anyways! :)