Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Navigation is Terrible.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have to drive 4x4 cross country every day, according to Tesla, to get to my work. There's been a new road and change highway for 3 years, but the Tesla maps don't know about it. Google Maps are fine, but Tesla maps are years out of date. It's almost criminal.

Tesla navigation is completely useless. I never use it.

OpenStreetMap based open source maps would be great in Europe, but you American would be really disappointed. Far less people mapping and even in big cities it's lacking buildings and house numbers, so I don't even want to know how many streets are missing in less populated areas.

Seems to be a cultural things where Europeans are looking for an alternative to google and therefore contribute a lot while Americans don't seem to care about privacy that much and happily just stick with google or apple maps.

I can echo the sentiments of every other complainant here. I had a portable TomTom unit for my old car which I embarrassingly keep in the centre console of my model S hidden from public eye but actually use that for navigation instead of the woeful instructions from the Tesla navigation.

The navigation must be perfect before FSD occurs. Hopefully, Tesla improves the navigation soon.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Does anyone else have problems with the navigation system like this: View attachment 242079

Clearly it's not trying to avoid traffic, 202 is green all the way! I get the most obscure reroutes for what it seems like no reason. I emailed Tesla Support but haven't heard back. It's annoying to have to use my phone to navigate when I have a 17" screen on my dash.
Does anyone else have problems with the navigation system like this: View attachment 242079

Clearly it's not trying to avoid traffic, 202 is green all the way! I get the most obscure reroutes for what it seems like no reason. I emailed Tesla Support but haven't heard back. It's annoying to have to use my phone to navigate when I have a 17" screen on my dash.

Yes, YES, YES!! Almost every drive does this. We keep an iPad in the car to keep us on track.

Also, another thing about Tesla routing that bugs me: AFAIK, Tesla pulls their traffic info from a private service, I forgot which. The traffic color lines on the 17inch screen however, are pulled from Google. Those two don't always match up (generally google updates quicker, and more accurately), so sometimes the nav will route around what it thinks is traffic, despite having a clearly green display for traffic. I assume there is some licensing thing where you can display Google's traffic data, but not route from it unless you pay more or something like that?

• Helpful
Reactions: Ski_
This is frustrating. The easy solution for us today is to adopt CarPlay and Android Auto, and let us use whatever app we think navigates better (Google Maps, Waze, whatever). Let the market leaders provide best-in-class navigation to Tesla customers while Tesla focuses on making better cars.

But, that solution does not work well with a Full Self Driving future. For that, the car needs to fully understand the routing, and giving third-parties control of the navigation does not help with that.

I'm guessing Tesla might see this as a "well, we need good routing anyway, so let's focus on that instead of solving the immediate problem via CarPlay"

I wish they'd do both. Just like I can use mediocre Slacker Radio or switch to my phone's audio and use Spotify, all the while still utilizing the car's controls (volume, next track, previous track, etc), I should be able to use either Tesla Navigation or my favorite app from my phone on the main display.

I don't see it happening anytime soon, though :(

I drove back from Charlotte, NC to Bristol, TN and it gave me some crazy route through some small towns, the ETA gave me roughly 50min longer of an estimate than using Apple Maps (remember the incident that had a family drive off a cliff in Australia using this...) and Apple Maps cut that much time off my trip, and suggested I used the interstates (which have been there for longer than I can remember) so I have no clue why it was telling me to do that insane route. Plus I would have skimmed by on battery with like 15% left but I arrived with like 30% left or something. Like come one Tesla. Apple has been involved with deaths with their mapping software, yet your maps are less effective than they are...

Yes look for the square in the top right. You can toggle between route view, north (locked), and turn with the car if I'm not mistaken. I leave mine on north (locked) so it will match the TeslaWaze browser I run on the bottom half of the screen...
Thanks. I've never had an experience as I have had with Tesla's delivery team! Go to one of their locations to ask a question or seek an answer to a question and you are told you need an appointment. Feedback and response to emails and phone calls are the worst I have ever encountered. Not good.

Thanks. I've never had an experience as I have had with Tesla's delivery team! Go to one of their locations to ask a question or seek an answer to a question and you are told you need an appointment. Feedback and response to emails and phone calls are the worst I have ever encountered. Not good.
Yes. Tesla is remarkably immune to building a customer relationship. They think having a relationship is the referral program that turns us all into Tesla sales reps.

I tell people I like the car, then tell them that the CID is essentially a fraud because all the apps (Nav, Media, Browser, etc.) are nowhere near the quality they are used to on their phones. And the "continual improvement" with OTA upgrades does not apply to the CID apps where the only changes I've seen have been to make the CID apps less useful.

This is really basic s/w, not SpaceX science, not AI for autonomous driving, not even motor management s/w. These are simple apps that have been successfully implemented by many. Tesla is making this way too difficult.

Yes. Tesla is remarkably immune to building a customer relationship. They think having a relationship is the referral program that turns us all into Tesla sales reps.

I tell people I like the car, then tell them that the CID is essentially a fraud because all the apps (Nav, Media, Browser, etc.) are nowhere near the quality they are used to on their phones. And the "continual improvement" with OTA upgrades does not apply to the CID apps where the only changes I've seen have been to make the CID apps less useful.

This is really basic s/w, not SpaceX science, not AI for autonomous driving, not even motor management s/w. These are simple apps that have been successfully implemented by many. Tesla is making this way too difficult.
Agree to all you have posted. I've been waiting for my tag for over 15 days so I can use the HOV lanes in FL. After a number of calls I was told yesterday by one of their delivery team in Palm Beach there was a problem with the title. When asked what problem the service agent??? would not respond. Using contacts I discovered the title was never sent to the SoFl for process!!. This company appears to be staffed by IT smart young people and perhaps leaders who don't understand the definition of the word Customer Service. If there protocol is to read responses from a computer they are headed for trouble. Poop in poop out!

. This company appears to be staffed by IT smart young people and perhaps leaders who don't understand the definition of the word Customer Service. If there protocol is to read responses from a computer they are headed for trouble. Poop in poop out!

Without actually knowing any, I've wondered if these programmers are mostly classic idiot savants -- performing at a genius level when feeding binary code to computers but unable to actually converse with or relate to another human face to face. As evidence, I'd submit the experience of bobcaptord and the laughably worthless, totally inscrutable error messages that pop up all the time in Windows.