Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla need to charge separately for premium items (audio,seats..)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla need to copy what they are doing with MS and MX.

No doubt RWD will cost less, but they are going to take away Premium Audio,Premium seats and everything else they could just to lower final price.

They are doing currently same with M3,

I dont need long range, i would be happy with 250 miles range but i want Premium audio and other "luxury" things.

I would pay extra for it.

Dont force me into buying AWD just to get Premium audio or interior

No doubt RWD will cost less, but they are going to take away Premium Audio,Premium seats and everything else they could just to lower final price.

I dont need long range, i would be happy with 250 miles range but i want Premium audio and other "luxury" things.

The goal is to simplify production in order to move the most vehicles.

While it would be nice, as a consumer, to have choices, it’s not happening any time soon.

Wait, I'm confused. When did Tesla announce this? Presumably, like Tesla did with the LR RWD Model 3 (which had a premium interior), the LR RWD Model Y should, too.

The SR/SR+ Model 3 had Partial Premium.

Tesla stated they are not making an SR/SR+ Model Y.

I could not disagree more, and I think most auto
Manufacturers are heading towards standard features like Japanese luxury brands have been doing for years. I have owned mostly German luxury cars and even the standard audio was good most of the time. I can’t imagine Tesla is much different.

the difference is Tesla’s goal is to make these cars affordable for everyone.
The less variation = lower cost and better value for the customer.

The goal is to simplify production in order to move the most vehicles.

While it would be nice, as a consumer, to have choices, it’s not happening any time soon.
In the robo taxis future, these cheap EVs won’t need to prioritize such things anyways.

In the meantime, Tesla’s aren’t cheap in price, just cost-cut of driver-owner premiums. It’s ironic that Tesla’s best moat right now is range anxiety. They can get away with spartan cars as long as people buy based on infrequently used capacity limits. And acceleration, for me anyways.

As EVs become more mainstream some of this anxiety based buying will decrease, it for no other reason that more and more people will have experience with EVs. Add in improvements in replenishing range, via charging improvements and even swaps, and Tesla will need to have achieved the economies of scale needed to avoid such extreme cost-cutting, including service and build quality. Or have the only FSD option.

Last edited:

Most Ys only get 250 miles realistically.

That would make things more expensive, not less expensive.

Other car brands, Cadillac, Toyota etc. definitely pulling ahead of Tesla in available features. Cadillac’s auto steer doesn’t require hands on...monitors your eyeballs. Toyota has glass sunroof that darkens at the touch of a button. All have RCTA with auto braking, heated steering wheel, etc. Many of us are willing to pay for extra options if owners are willing to pay $300 for a garage door controller and $2000 for .5 of acceleration!