Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla needs to refresh the Model S, asap.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
M5 is definitely a nice car, but still a very significant 1/2 second behind. A demon is closer in 0-60, but takes an hour to setup to run.

Yup, and they are all ICE and petrol power. Car and driver says 2.28sec 0 to 60 for the SP100D. It’s not called a supercar killer for nothing. In legal speeds under 100 mph, the S rules and is pretty much unbeatable.

Amazing ride. Super quick. Instant torque. Noticeably quicker than the Porsche 911 Turbo S which is a true supercar. 2.7 sec 0 to 60 in launch mode.

Reactions: GSP
Totally agree. I am dying to buy a Model S and have been holding out for about a year now. Not dropping a single penny while I know that the 3 has a better battery pack. I need more range, hopefully Tesla can release a 400 mile S.

Unless you consider a slower charging pack better. The 3 has significantly throttled charging rates unless it is warm.

Reactions: EVSteve
For the S if they could increase range (especially for winter) and/or bring features up to parity with X - automatic doors, maybe sunroof available again, I’d buy one. Keep the exterior, seats, two screens (not a fan of the 3 screen having to shift focus off the road)

Reactions: Inside
I suspect Models S/X will get no major overhauls anytime soon: if we are lucky maybe a CCS port in Europe in 2020 and a drop-in battery pack replacement based on 21700 cells from about 2023.

Tesla have a lot of other more critical balls to juggle in the air during that time.

Totally agree. I am dying to buy a Model S and have been holding out for about a year now. Not dropping a single penny while I know that the 3 has a better battery pack. I need more range, hopefully Tesla can release a 400 mile S.
Try and pick up an inventory or used car that's a year old. Will be much cheaper and you won't mind as much if a new model comes out soon.

Although the drop in model S/X demand can be attributed to buyers opting for the model 3. I think it’s buyers who are waiting for a refresh.
Besides the front fascia update and slight rear bumper difference along with seat changes, the model s is very much like the 2012 model

I think there are many people waiting for a new model s, a redisigned S.
It’s been over 6 years!

That may be true for some current owners I think but I don't think it's a huge issue for new buyers coming to the S. My car is a 2012 and most people that see it think it's new.

The only thing I wish my car had that it doesn't is a better user interface in the center screen something better than version 9 which is terrible but a new buyer probably wouldn't know, They can't miss what they never had.

Last edited:
I really don’t think they need to update the exterior very much. I actually like the thought that they could do subtle exterior changes every three years (like the nose con e) so that an existing car never suddenly looks old. I also think the Model S still is one of the sexiest cars on the road.

The Model S could remain a very compelling luxury sedan if they:
-Update the interior
-Extend range by 10-15% over the 75D & 100D
-Made it V3 supercharging capable
-Differentiate it from the 3 by doing something extra as a standard feature: unlimited supercharging, maintenance included, or EAP included

I don’t think the design is the issue, I think it’s people who don’t want to buy a new car just to be stuck with an old model if tesla suddenly releases a redesigned one.

That's very good point. Tesla should really announce the changes and let they buyers decide if they buy the older versions or if they invest into a new ones. The present system, that you know what you get but you don't know what you might geht when ordering one day later sucks. I personally missed AP2.5.by few weeks and I will not forget this as I feel cheated.

• Informative
That's very good point. Tesla should really announce the changes and let they buyers decide if they buy the older versions or if they invest into a new ones. The present system, that you know what you get but you don't know what you might geht when ordering one day later sucks. I personally missed AP2.5.by few weeks and I will not forget this as I feel cheated.

I Kinda look at the model S like I look at a Jaguar. Styling really hasn’t changed that much in 20 years. Maybe some minor tweaks and interior upgrades.

Half a second is quite a bit. Not to mention having to use launch control, expensive oil/service, etc. You also attract cops thanks to the noise. The beauty of the P100D is the silent acceleration that can be done at any light :)
I agree, Model S service is much cheaper :)

This isn’t an M5 vs Model S thread, I was simply pointing out that others are catching up to the Model S performance so tesla shouldn’t be complacent

I really don’t think they need to update the exterior very much. I actually like the thought that they could do subtle exterior changes every three years (like the nose con e) so that an existing car never suddenly looks old. I also think the Model S still is one of the sexiest cars on the road.

The Model S could remain a very compelling luxury sedan if they:
-Update the interior
-Extend range by 10-15% over the 75D & 100D
-Made it V3 supercharging capable
-Differentiate it from the 3 by doing something extra as a standard feature: unlimited supercharging, maintenance included, or EAP included
That's pretty much exactly what I think:
- exterior already gorgeous, and seems to be timeless
- interior could use a refresh
- supercharging speeds could be increased, capacity could use a bump

I mean if you consider the life cycle of most manufactures, typically a model is introduced, and around 4th year, a "facelift" happens. Considering that we've only had the facelift for 2 years, I'd say a major revamp I personally wouldn't expect for another 2 years or so.