Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla not honoring referral

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well I've only had my car a couple weeks but I bought the car using a referral link and was told that it could take a little while for it to show up on my account. I have now sold a car on my referral and it showed up immediately on my account. I called and asked Tesla whats going on with the referral I bought the car on and they are pleading ignorance and telling me I have no recourse and need to just eat the loss.

While I love the car I feel like I've been robbed and I'm looking for a way to handle this. Is this something that others have seen is this a systemic issue with Tesla and the way they do business?

Red M3P HW 3.0 FSD 2019.16.3 5/19/2019

Reactions: GreenT
While I love the car I feel like I've been robbed and I'm looking for a way to handle this. Is this something that others have seen is this a systemic issue with Tesla and the way they do business?

Does the person whose referral code you used show your purchase on their profile? If so I'd go at it that way. Otherwise, if there is no evidence you purchased using a referral you may be out of luck.

They are delaying adding my referral for the car that I'm supposed to be buying today. "we should be able to" "manager said it should be done"

Should and it is are two totally different things

What do you mean "adding my referral"? Are you saying you already bought it and now want to add a referral code after the fact? I know that some people have had that happen, but I don't think there is any guarantee that they'll do it. You already placed the order and are getting ready to pick it up so why would they add a referral code when you suddenly say "no wait, I bought it because my best friend's, sister's brother's cousin showed me his?"

What do you mean "adding my referral"? Are you saying you already bought it and now want to add a referral code after the fact? I know that some people have had that happen, but I don't think there is any guarantee that they'll do it. You already placed the order and are getting ready to pick it up so why would they add a referral code when you suddenly say "no wait, I bought it because my best friend's, sister's brother's cousin showed me his?"
I haven’t bought it. I’ve ordered it.

I was given a link to a car though an advisor in Fremont, so I couldn’t click a referral link.

I told the advisor at time of placing my deposit I wanted to use this specific referral code

[QUOTE="dsvick, post: 3705446,]What do you mean "adding my referral"? Are you saying you already bought it and now want to add a referral code after the fact? I know that some people have had that happen, but I don't think there is any guarantee that they'll do it. You already placed the order and are getting ready to pick it up so why would they add a referral code when you suddenly say "no wait, I bought it because my best friend's, sister's brother's cousin showed me his?"[/QUOTE]

Maybe they, like me, had a referral CODE, but had no idea we were supposed to use a link, and assumed it would ask for a code at some point in the process.

I've been told consistently that it would be added about two weeks after I took delivery

[QUOTE="dsvick, post: 3705446,]What do you mean "adding my referral"? Are you saying you already bought it and now want to add a referral code after the fact? I know that some people have had that happen, but I don't think there is any guarantee that they'll do it. You already placed the order and are getting ready to pick it up so why would they add a referral code when you suddenly say "no wait, I bought it because my best friend's, sister's brother's cousin showed me his?"

Maybe they, like me, had a referral CODE, but had no idea we were supposed to use a link, and assumed it would ask for a code at some point in the process.

I've been told consistently that it would be added about two weeks after I took delivery[/QUOTE]
So just got off the phone with Tesla, the code has been added to my account. 7-14 days till it’s active. She’s also sending me an email that confirms it

Reactions: 67King
So just got off the phone with Tesla, the code has been added to my account. 7-14 days till it’s active. She’s also sending me an email that confirms it

I see you are in Nashville. Who over there did you deal with on this issue? I've been dealing with someone from Atlanta, though my car went to Brentwood for teh prep and left this morning on the carrier to head my way.

I had a similar situation; had a website error and the DA added the code to my account, but the referral never showed up. Two emails to the referral program later, and they tell me they see the request but won't honor it because I didn't use the link. It errored out so I'm just going to have to eat it.

That's the only disappointment in my delivery process, so I'm willing to let it go - 1000 miles isn't really worth all that much anyway.

Last edited:
I see you are in Nashville. Who over there did you deal with on this issue? I've been dealing with someone from Atlanta, though my car went to Brentwood for teh prep and left this morning on the carrier to head my way.
Honestly not sure. It was the girl who called me to tell me the driver was on her way. I had much better luck talking with the order advisor guy in Fremont.

I had a similar situation; had a website error and the DA added the code to my account, but the referral never showed up. Two emails to the referral program later, and they tell me they see the request but won't honor it because I didn't use the link. It errored out so I'm just going to have to eat it.

That's the only disappointment in my delivery process, so I'm willing to let it go - 1000 miles isn't really worth all that much anyway.

I have to question the logic behind Teslas’s handling of situations like this. A person buys a vehicle from them, thinks they are getting about $50 worth of free supercharging after spending $50K on one of their cars, only to find out that Tesla won’t honor the bonus because they did not fill out the link the correct way. So instead of making a new owner feel good about their purchase, they sour the person’s early impression of the company to save the company $50 worth of electricity. This is just bad business and it doesn’t do anything to help the company’s reputation.

Reactions: Valtor and 67King
I have to question the logic behind Teslas’s handling of situations like this. A person buys a vehicle from them, thinks they are getting about $50 worth of free supercharging after spending $50K on one of their cars, only to find out that Tesla won’t honor the bonus because they did not fill out the link the correct way. So instead of making a new owner feel good about their purchase, they sour the person’s early impression of the company to save the company $50 worth of electricity. This is just bad business and it doesn’t do anything to help the company’s reputation.

It’s flat-out stupid. No other way to describe it. Especially since they’re basically telling my DA to go scratch too. He did his part - submitted the code - but the “program people” won’t budge.

Again, a minor nit in a great delivery, but it just doesn’t need to be this way. At all.

Reactions: Bill Foster
Agree 100%.

Additionally, I can't possibly see myself using anywhere near the 5000 miles in free supercharging. I'll use it when I'm on a trip. Ain't no way I'm getting that many miles on any trip in the 6 month window I have.

Additionally, I can't possibly see myself using anywhere near the 5000 miles in free supercharging. I'll use it when I'm on a trip. Ain't no way I'm getting that many miles on any trip in the 6 month window I have.

Nor I, but my purchase was in the 1,000 mile period before the 5k promo. The 1,000 would’ve been useful - I’ve paid about $30 for supercharging since getting my Model 3.

Nor I, but my purchase was in the 1,000 mile period before the 5k promo. The 1,000 would’ve been useful - I’ve paid about $30 for supercharging since getting my Model 3.

Not saying it won't be used, but the cost Tesla would incur is minimal, and I doubt most of it would even be incurred! Just shows how little they are getting fiscally for their failure of addressing the issue in a more timely manner

[QUOTE="dsvick, post: 3705446,]What do you mean "adding my referral"? Are you saying you already bought it and now want to add a referral code after the fact? I know that some people have had that happen, but I don't think there is any guarantee that they'll do it. You already placed the order and are getting ready to pick it up so why would they add a referral code when you suddenly say "no wait, I bought it because my best friend's, sister's brother's cousin showed me his?"

I've been told consistently that it would be added about two weeks after I took delivery[/QUOTE]

Yeah. They flat out refused to use my friend’s referral. Went to checkout and didn’t have the link, only the code. They said it would be easier to cancel the order and reorder (which the price of FSD went up by $1k at that point so it wasn’t worth it).

Got a response after 3 weeks. Wasn’t happy with it so escalated it to the supervisor of the referral program. This is what she had to say to my initial complaint and then my reply to her not honouring the referral.

Ultimately they’re digging in really hard on this. So... **** it.

Attachments

• 679C25BD-B436-4397-99BC-996372AA3647.jpeg
    679C25BD-B436-4397-99BC-996372AA3647.jpeg
    269.4 KB · Views: 75
  • 3363F51D-BE3E-4888-B3BA-251855E59CAE.jpeg
    3363F51D-BE3E-4888-B3BA-251855E59CAE.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 61