Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 2013 is still on its original MCU so Friday 8/14 I submitted a service request for replacing the Tegra as preventive maintenance. Got an email last night (8/16) that parts are ordered:

MSX MCU PC TEGRA DAUGHTERBOARD-PROVISIONED (64GB)
Part #: 2728211-S0-A
Order Date: August 16, 2020

They haven't given a cost estimate yet. Wondering if it will have the $175 diagnostic fee? I think it shouldn't since there's no diagnostics to be done.

Appointment is 8/26. I'll update if there's any interest.

Now pushed to 9/1...

Asked for a cost estimate since my appointment is still in "preparation". Got a text that total cost parts+labor+tax will be $347. Very happy with that, now they just need to get those Tegra boards out. Hope Tesla ordered enough of them...

Edit: Cost is lower since I'm taking mine in before failure so there's no diagnostics fee.
Can you find out what the incremental cost is to do the LTE upgrade? You should save a bunch in labor, since they MCU is already removed.

Asked for a cost estimate since my appointment is still in "preparation". Got a text that total cost parts+labor+tax will be $347. Very happy with that, now they just need to get those Tegra boards out. Hope Tesla ordered enough of them...

Edit: Cost is lower since I'm taking mine in before failure so there's no diagnostics fee.

Hmm, if its dead cant you ask for no diagnostic fee and just ask for the part

I just tried to schedule this same thing thought the mobile app and it offered me a remote visit. I am guessing they will call and change it to a Tyco visit. It seems prudent to replace this before it goes bad in my 2015 MS. $347 seems reasonable.

True, but even if they used the same janky parts-bin special, a wear-leveling 64GB chip is gonna last ~8x as long as the 8GB that was originally there.
Unless Tesla plans to utilize the entire 64GB (with additional logs and/or maybe larger updates especially for MCU1 with FSD computer), then it still helps, but not as much as if it was left as unpartioned and trimmed space (i.e. the chip knows it's unused to free to use for wear leveling). Also, as far as longevity/retention, pSLC helps more than 2x MLC for wear leveling.

For anyone doing this with Tesla I would recommend them to skip the diagnostics. If you had any of the signs and your screen went black you have a chip that failed or pending failure.

your new chip will likely perform much better than the death beded old one. It’s litterally a dead chip running.....

you can’t imagine how many of these we see fail. Most leave die and leave the car drivable. But some have the car unable to charge much and that would suck if one was on a trip or long drive.

After initially offering me a remote tech install, I got a text this morning scheduling a service center installation. I asked about cost and was told they were working on it. I had some missing letters on the screen last year and some hard reboots more recently so I am going to go ahead and replace this thing and try to avoid the diagnostic fee. I will update as things progress if anyone is interested.

Is it worthwhile scheduling an appt to get the eMMC replaced even though my car does not show any signs of impending failure? Mine is a 2016 with about 34K miles.

Only you can answer that. It might die next week or continue working for years. My MCU1 is over 7 years old and still works.

What do you state in the request via the app?

I wrote something along "Please replace Tegra daughter board as preventive maintenance. It is still working but 7 years old". A couple days later I got an email that parts had been ordered.