Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can anyone whose received the new daughter board comment on the performance of the MCU after
My 2014 S 85 is working great after the new Tegra board was installed by the SC. It's only been a week now but there are no more random reboots or streaming/map/connectivity issues. It "seems" a little more responsive, but that's likely just a return to the normal state after gradually failing and becoming less responsive over many months.

I thought I'd somehow received "free" XM radio after the replacement – but it turns out it's a 3-month free trial for all S/X owners that happened to coincide with my SC visit...

Reactions: gmo43
There use to be a bug for a while that traffic was updated by millisecond request then it got changed to every minute or two IIRC. I don't think it is 'constantly' updated.
Meaning the map moves around the screen as you drive at 15 fps or however often it refreshes, plus having to load and render new tiles, not necessarily the traffic updates on the map.

TonyT is saying its likely the most recent firmware load that caused it or the 3G software is unable to read from the bad spots where it resides. Meaning another firmware download will cause the corrupted 3G files to become obsolete when the next firmware installs in a different location on the inactive (other) partition when you get the next OTA update. Those corrupt 3G files are likely residing now on a bad spot/sectors on the active partition on existing eMMC chip on your Tegra board I hope that makes sense.

So to answer your question, a new Tegra card, will require a fresh firmware download when its installed and if Tony is correct, the new firmware download on the new eMMC chip on the new Tegra board would for sure install fresh 3G files along with all the other fresh firmware to the car. But you will still be 3G.

In case you didn't know, at&t is set the sunset date for retiring 3G as 31 Dec 2021. So, you are going to need a LTE upgrade before then. The "or I have to get a new MCU" part of your original question will fix the 3G/LTE problem, because the re-manufactured MCU's they are using has the LTE upgrade for you - included. Many people are going to have the same problem 3G termination. And its a Tesla problem just as much as it is your problem if 3G ends. Tesla wants your car connected. I think as we get closer to that date (my guess is maybe next summer) Tesla will offer a better deal for you 3G cars to because they need you off 3G too. So, some people will sit back and just wait for a better price or even having to pay the same price is no worse.
-----

Just want to give you update. I ended up with new LTE and Tegra board. The initial estimate was to replace the LTE board for $275 but as you stated, they cannot load the firmware and have to change the Tegra board. Total $750 and they discounted to $650. I hope this help for everyone.

-----

Just want to give you update. I ended up with new LTE and Tegra board. The initial estimate was to replace the LTE board for $275 but as you stated, they cannot load the firmware and have to change the Tegra board. Total $750 and they discounted to $650. I hope this help for everyone.

So, you are probably the best person to confirm or help make sense out of my question. You got both the LTE upgrade and the replaced Tegra board at the same time. The cost was $750, but they reduced or discounted the cost by $100 to $650. Do you suppose, - maybe they also told you, - this was for labor because they did both LTE and Tegra at the same time? I only this is because others want to do the Tegra board instead of MCU1, but they need to do the LTE also. So, maybe this will help those folks that have the same situation and are wondering what the cost of both Tegra and LTE board would be installed.

Thanks. It was actually this one I was referring too.
MCU1 performance improvement & browser improvement. Simple trick by Thomas The Tesla Tuner..
Ok, I'm inside (Mr Elon, please do not send an assassin ;) - The whole problem is not a lack of memory. It is caused by refresh function for traffic info, with passes processing to the main routine. It seems that somebody interpreted value of delay of a refresh to be in seconds (120, = 2 minutes), but it is in milliseconds. It eats 30% of spare MCU1 time. It tries to re-render it 6-7 times per second, with no new information (refresh period of traffic info via communication channel is set correctly).
My assumption - two differently skilled programmers did that.
Please, Tesla, correct this. Just add three zeros (120 -> 120000), recompile and send to us. And all will be ok.
Thomas
PS: Loading Tegra3 with this one passive cooler over 60% of load causes throttling. Who was a developer? Even ventilation holes, developed by engineers are covered from the bottom by shelf under the screen. No air circulation then.

My 2014 S 85 is working great after the new Tegra board was installed by the SC. It's only been a week now but there are no more random reboots or streaming/map/connectivity issues. It "seems" a little more responsive, but that's likely just a return to the normal state after gradually failing and becoming less responsive over many months.

I thought I'd somehow received "free" XM radio after the replacement – but it turns out it's a 3-month free trial for all S/X owners that happened to coincide with my SC visit...

How much did it cost?

I just tried to schedule this same thing thought the mobile app and it offered me a remote visit. I am guessing they will call and change it to a Tyco visit. It seems prudent to replace this before it goes bad in my 2015 MS. $347 seems reasonable.

let us know how it goes. I am in NoVA and may get this done along with the LTE update. What exactly did you request? Specific parts or key words?

I can't seem to view it on the app now that the process has started, but I asked for a "Tegra daughter board replacement for MCU1 as mine had shown signs of pending trouble in the past (see history). " I had an experience last year where several letters were missing from the display and had to hard boot the car. Found out later it was a sign of the board failing. I would like to replace it preemptively since I intend to keep the car and don't want to have a crisis happen later. I will post when the send me a quote.

Reactions: Akikiki
Not sure this helps....I have a service appointment next week for an MCU and touchscreen repair. After a 7-week delay due to the unavailability of a full remanufactured MCU1, Tesla now seems to have moved to repair/replacement of subassemblies. So now I will get a new touchscreen, and also a new Tegra board:

Tesla MCU1.png

We will see what happens on Tuesday.

Reactions: gmo43 and Akikiki
1) Do you think Tesla has been saying they cant get the reman MCU's because they new this Tegra fix was coming? Seems coincidental...

2) Any way to DIY with official Tesla parts to save on labor and guaranteed damage to my car from sloppy "mechanics"? Ive done the LTE upgrade on my own so this must be very similar. I'm guess I would need some kind of data migration from my old chip.