Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now repairing MCU1 with a new Tegra card for less than $500

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Appears to be the original tegra board with the 8GB eMMC. Not certain but if that is the case you are better off with the new design with the larger chip.

No ETA , but they promised me priority since I’ve been waiting since June. I have the extended warranty so it will be the deductible charge of $200. They scheduled the replacement for 9/10, assuming the part arrives. If the part comes sooner they said they’d try to move up the date.

My first MCU1 was replaced under warranty due to the screen delamination issue. The replacement was a brand new one manufactured in 2018. That eMMC lasted only 2 years, and I've heard of some that have lasted only 1 year, so I'd be cautious about that 4-5 year estimate if they replace it wish another 8GB chip.

Still better to get a 3rd party to put in a bigger chip, IMO. Mine was replaced 3rd party with a 32GB chip a couple of months ago for around $800. It is estimated to last a minimum of 14 years.

Can you tell where you had this done? I'm in the same area and my screen just went black.
Thanks

Just got my 85D AP1 MCU replaced under warranty and the mobile tech stated that the reman MCU1 have a 32BG chip instead of 8. How can I verify this?

upload_2020-8-29_22-50-10.png

Appears to be the original tegra board with the 8GB eMMC. Not certain but if that is the case you are better off with the new design with the larger chip.

Thanks! I reached out to Tesla and they said it's the 64gb chip. Hopefully that's the case and they're also using the new chips for any warranty repairs.

I'll provide another update once the work is done and I can confirm.

Just got my 85D AP1 MCU replaced under warranty and the mobile tech stated that the reman MCU1 have a 32BG chip instead of 8. How can I verify this?

View attachment 582287
Well that’s a new one for this thread. I had not heard anything about a 32GB, only the 8. Does anyone have information on this, my car goes in this week to get that repair and if there is a 32GB chip I think I would prefer that.

Also, super lame that I scheduled this appointment 3 weeks ago, specifically asked to order the part and skip the diagnostic, and they still waited until I dropped off the car to order it.

No kidding. You might want to pick the car up until they have the part. My Tegra board was ordered August 16th and still hasn't arrived. Currently scheduled for September 9th but that's only if they can get the Tegra by then.

Reactions: gmo43
You may be able to tell based on the part number, do you have that? It appears that earlier versions were 8GB, new ones are now 64GB.
My car's service was just completed and they opted to replace the MCU instead of just the daughtercard. I asked the tech if this has the larger flash chip, but I haven't heard back yet.

The installed part is as follows:
Code:
MS Tegra MCU LTE Prem w-D motherboard NA(1004740-10-A) Qty 1.0

I don't know the cost since I'm still under ESA coverage, so it was $200. Is this the old 8GB part, does anyone know?

Edit: The screenshot in this post seems to indicate its 64GB.
Consolidated eMMC Thread (MCU repair) (Black Center Screen)