Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla now selling Gen 2 Wall Connector with J1772 plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

jcanoe

Oct 2, 2020
Maryland
Tesla is now selling a J1772 Wall Connector on the Tesla online store. You can read more about the Tesla J1772 Wall Connector here:

J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector

Also, while still showing as Out of Stock the Tesla Corded Mobile Connector has a lower price. The price has been reduced to $400 US. There is a note that states that while the price is $520 US there is a series adjustment of -$120, so that is why the price is $400. No information on if there will be a replacement for the Corded Mobile Connector.

Important to note that's a Gen2, not a Gen3. It doesn't look like a Gen3, and there's a good bet it doesn't have wifi. It >might< do power sharing with a Gen2 HPWC, but the notes on the order page state its only able to share with Tesla Gen2 J1772 chargers. I'm suspecting that they didn't want users to think that it would share with their juicebox/chargepoint/whatever-J1772 charger.

Oh! They have made those for many years (so it makes sense they are based on the Gen2 type). They've been using them at some sites alongside Superchargers or other Tesla wall connectors, in places where they were required to offer some diversity to other plug types that could service other EVs. But up until now, they have never offered them for sale. This is very interesting.

I had said for a while that Tesla offers better value and price in their EVSEs than any other brand out there, so it was kind of a shame that they WEREN'T selling a J1772 version. I guess they finally decided they were missing out on some extra profit.

• Informative
Reactions: mociaf9
So if I get this, and I have it on the backed up side of my Powerwalls and Solar system, will charging a non Tesla ev show up as charging on the app?

Powerwalls and solar all in a solar sun panel. I have breaker for 50 amps and wires already running.

Haven’t decided on the exact future EV yet.

It appears that the Tesla J1772 Wall Connector is not based on the Gen3 Wall Connector. Maximum amperage is set via a rotary switch (just like the Gen2 Wall Connector.) Load sharing requires signaling wires between up to 4 of the J1772 Wall Connectors. It is unclear if the J1772 Wall Connector can be used with the Gen2 Wall Connector when sharing a circuit. The manual appears dated, i.e no reference to Tesla Model 3, or Model Y. It is almost as if Tesla opened a lost shipping container and found the J1772 Wall Connector units from ~10 years ago.

Priced at $415 US the Tesla J1772 Wall Connector is less expensive than many other 9.6kW EVSE including the Grizzl-E Classic (starts at $459 US, comes with a NEMA 14-50 plug but can be hard wired) and the ClipperCreek HCS-50 ($635 US).

Last edited:
Reactions: CarMAN3
Interesting development...

“Charge your electric vehicle at home with the J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector, a convenient home charging solution for electric vehicle owners. Simply plug in overnight and charge while you sleep. Providing up to 9.6 kW (40 amp) power output for a single vehicle, the J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector includes a 24-foot (7.3 meter) cable length, multiple power settings and a versatile indoor/outdoor design.”

Tesla-wall-connector-j1772-hero.jpg

Interesting development...

“Charge your electric vehicle at home with the J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector, a convenient home charging solution for electric vehicle owners. Simply plug in overnight and charge while you sleep. Providing up to 9.6 kW (40 amp) power output for a single vehicle, the J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector includes a 24-foot (7.3 meter) cable length, multiple power settings and a versatile indoor/outdoor design.”

Tesla-wall-connector-j1772-hero.jpg
Interesting to see it finally offered for sale by Tesla, even though it's been out for a couple years already. I know at least a few Supercharger locations, such as the Tahoe City, CA location: Supercharger - Tahoe City, CA (LIVE Nov 15 2019, 6 V2 stalls) , have these to allow non-Teslas to charge as well.

This will allow households with Teslas and non-Teslas to have load-balanced charging, assuming it is paired with another gen 2 wall connector. Maybe they'll offer a gen 3 option eventually as well. I suppose it might allow some new customers "dip their toes" in the Tesla world by buying just a Tesla wall connector. "I just bought a Tesla...wall connector."

We just use a Lectron adapter to charge non-Teslas with our current wall connectors.
20211102_081549.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
It >might< do power sharing with a Gen2 HPWC, but the notes on the order page state its only able to share with Tesla Gen2 J1772 chargers.
I'm sure this is because of the limitation of the amp rating of the cord. Notice that it says it's only allowed to be on up to a 50A circuit? That's got to be because of the limitations of the cord and J1772 plug they are using. So inside, the circuit sharing is the same stuff as all of the regular Gen2 wall connectors and can share with them. But with the way the sharing works in Gen2, there is no way to designate a different amp level for some of them like there is for a Gen3. So they don't want someone sharing this with some other wall connectors that are all on 100A circuits, and then this melts the cord if it's the only one you plug in and it tries to draw 80A. So they warn to only share with other units that also have that 50A max restriction.

Still getting used to industry acronyms/standards, so real silly question - this new J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector is to let you charge both a Tesla AND non-Tesla EVs, like if your family owns a Tesla and a Chevy for example?

Also related bummer, the Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle is also Sold Out in the store. I wanted to get a second one to keep in the car permanently for road trips and piece of mind :(

Interesting to see it finally offered for sale by Tesla, even though it's been out for a couple years already. I know at least a few Supercharger locations, such as the Tahoe City, CA location: Supercharger - Tahoe City, CA (LIVE Nov 15 2019, 6 V2 stalls) , have these to allow non-Teslas to charge as well.

This will allow households with Teslas and non-Teslas to have load-balanced charging, assuming it is paired with another gen 2 wall connector. Maybe they'll offer a gen 3 option eventually as well. I suppose it might allow some new customers "dip their toes" in the Tesla world by buying just a Tesla wall connector. "I just bought a Tesla...wall connector."

We just use a Lectron adapter to charge non-Teslas with our current wall connectors.
View attachment 728464
I can't edit my previous post but wanted to mention that @jsimon7777 and @Rocky_H discussed load balancing requirements in this thread. It sounds like they don't want you to mix these J1772 wall connectors with the previous gen 2 Tesla wall connectors since older ones could handle charging at up to 80 amps but the new ones look like they are limited to 40 amps.

You can still safely load balance when charging J1772 if you use an adapter such as we use in the image above. Note that the car is plugged into another of our load balanced gen 2 Tesla signature wall connectors and using a Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter. Alternatively, it looks like you can load balance if you have multiple Tesla J1772 wall connectors.

Last edited:
Still getting used to industry acronyms/standards, so real silly question - this new J1772 Gen 2 Wall Connector is to let you charge both a Tesla AND non-Tesla EVs, like if your family owns a Tesla and a Chevy for example?
Yes, the J1772 plug is the standard for all EVs in North America, except Tesla. But Tesla does include a small snap-on adapter that can also let it used that kind of plug handle.
Also related bummer, the Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle is also Sold Out in the store. I wanted to get a second one to keep in the car permanently
That's really not necessary. Could you possibly use up over 200 miles in a day driving around town? And if you go out of town, there still isn't usually a need for it, and wouldn't that be a trip anyway, where you would pack stuff, like putting your charge cable in the car?

for road trips and piece of mind
It's interesting how close those two phrases are:
"I'm going to give you a piece of my mind!" means like venting your anger at someone.
"peace of mind" means actually having peacefulness in your mind.

• Helpful
Reactions: Trip McNealy
Yes, the J1772 plug is the standard for all EVs in North America, except Tesla. But Tesla does include a small snap-on adapter that can also let it used that kind of plug handle.

That's really not necessary. Could you possibly use up over 200 miles in a day driving around town? And if you go out of town, there still isn't usually a need for it, and wouldn't that be a trip anyway, where you would pack stuff, like putting your charge cable in the car?

It's interesting how close those two phrases are:
"I'm going to give you a piece of my mind!" means like venting your anger at someone.
"peace of mind" means actually having peacefulness in your mind.
HAHA right on the phrases. Thanks for the replies! As someone who randomly forgets things before a big trip, the extra Mobile connector bundle was just an insurance policy. Time to update my packing checklist!

…Time to update my packing checklist!
Checklist:
  • Mobile charger
  • Set of High Amp Plugs
  • Cash to tip folks at destination chargers and RV parks where you are not actually sleeping/eating.
  • Heavy Duty Extension cord
Yes, you’re not supposed to use the latter but I’ve used all the above. When you need them you REALLY need them. As for tipping, a little cash you a lot of goodwill in rural America, especially from hourly employees, but if you wanted to leave your car in a welder’s shop overnight at during a snowstorm, you’d be glad to have some larger bills.

Last edited:
  • Informative

Also related bummer, the Gen 2 Mobile Connector Bundle is also Sold Out in the store. I wanted to get a second one to keep in the car permanently for road trips and piece of mind :(
Trip McNealy! You know girls at Huntington still talk about you???

• Funny
I can't edit my previous post but wanted to mention that @jsimon7777 and @Rocky_H discussed load balancing requirements in this thread. It sounds like they don't want you to mix these J1772 wall connectors with the previous gen 2 Tesla wall connectors since older ones could handle charging at up to 80 amps but the new ones look like they are limited to 40 amps.

You can still safely load balance when charging J1772 if you use an adapter such as we use in the image above. Note that the car is plugged into another of our load balanced gen 2 Tesla signature wall connectors and using a Lectron Tesla to J1772 adapter. Alternatively, it looks like you can load balance if you have multiple Tesla J1772 wall connectors.
Ya, but if you know about the limitations of the J1772 unit and don't set the current on the 'master' above the level of the 50 amp breaker, you >should< hopefully be able to share with a normal tesla Gen2. I bet Tesla is just CYA in case someone hangs a J1772 off a master with a 100 amp breaker and then uses the secondary(J1772) charger to recharge a model S with dual chargers(!). Even 48 amps going through that cord (and the J1772->Tesla adapter) >might< not cause a meltdown, but I wouldn't chance it. Particularly at the adapter end where there are decent number of sliding connections within an inch or two and that's a recipe for overheat.

Another REALLY, REALLY bad idea is to rely on the Tesla to keep the current down to 40 amps or less. If anyone wants to rely on this to keep your house from burning down, let me know so I can buy some insurance for you(with me as the payee, of course!).

Reactions: mociaf9 and Rocky_H
It appears that the Tesla J1772 Wall Connector is not based on the Gen3 Wall Connector. Maximum amperage is set via a rotary switch (just like the Gen2 Wall Connector.) Load sharing requires signaling wires between up to 4 of the J1772 Wall Connectors. It is unclear if the J1772 Wall Connector can be used with the Gen2 Wall Connector when sharing a circuit. The manual appears dated, i.e no reference to Tesla Model 3, or Model Y. It is almost as if Tesla opened a lost shipping container and found the J1772 Wall Connector units from ~10 years ago.

Priced at $415 US the Tesla J1772 Wall Connector is less expensive than many other 9.6kW EVSE including the Grizzl-E Classic (starts at $459 US, comes with a NEMA 14-50 plug but can be hard wired) and the ClipperCreek HCS-50 ($635 US).
I actually made a video a few weeks ago with a J1772 Wall Connector that I got off eBay (before they were publicly sold) and tested load sharing with a HPWC. You get an error message that is straight from the user manual:
1636060171157.png

Official Tesla J1772 Wall Connector - Unboxing and Review
(Load sharing part starts @4:55)

As unfortunate as this is, I was actually able to get it to load-share properly with the Tesla NEMA 14-50 wired Wall Connector as those have the same maximum current capabilities. I just recently tested that so I'll probably make a video about that at some point too.