Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla offers to transfer lifetime free supercharging to new vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interest rates are absolutely killing Tesla. Along with their insistence on not re-designing the duck billed model y. If they would put a screen behind the wheel and apply all 3 changes to the Y, I’d be a performance y buyer. And possibly get rid of my model s. No one wants to accept this but the shine is off Tesla when they made the cars cheap and didn’t want to respect owners. If there is no perceived advantage for a higher price, why would a buyer pay a premium? What happened? People are balking at the brand. Why? Because why would you pay more to “save” gas when you are paying more than 8k more to buy a Y than a well equipped Kia, Honda, Toyota. This superiority complex of a Tesla ended when they insisted on no updates just stamp out the same design, and paint the same colors, same interior, over and over and over. Consumers eventually want new styles and mr musk definitely overstated his perceived appeal. There are no financing discounts with Tesla. Where as with other dealers you can get a finance deal in lieu of a massive discount. Maybe Tesla needs to consider this?

Last edited:
Interest rates are absolutely killing Tesla. Along with their insistence on not re-designing the duck billed model y. If they would put a screen behind the wheel and apply all 3 changes to the Y, I’d be a performance y buyer. And possibly get rid of my model s. No one wants to accept this but the shine is off Tesla when they made the cars cheap and didn’t want to respect owners. If there is no perceived advantage for a higher price, why would a buyer pay a premium? What happened? People are balking at the brand. Why? Because why would you pay more to “save” gas when you are paying more than 8k more to buy a Y than a well equipped Kia, Honda, Toyota. This superiority complex of a Tesla ended when they insisted on no updates just stamp out the same design, and paint the same colors, same interior, over and over and over. Consumers eventually want new styles and mr musk definitely overstated his perceived appeal. There are no financing discounts with Tesla. Where as with other dealers you can get a finance deal in lieu of a massive discount. Maybe Tesla needs to consider this?
Or, just pay cash with the better than 2022-pricing available today. :)

Funny thing is they texted me a day before and asked me if I am in the market, and I asked them any deal .. Today I got an email, although tempting at first but not sure I will be implused in buying a new one.

1) Losing stalks and USS
2) Losing premium connectivity
3) I don't use SC that much. One 600 miles round trip in the past 6.5 years.
4) Insulting low offer if I want to trade (19.5k for my 17' 75S @60k, FSD, great conditions .. others are around 22-23k, I better keep it myself than sell/trade).
5) I don't drive much these days anyway

I may look into the highland next year, or get a miata next year as a toy, shelling out another 90k is just too much and I don't see a huge improvement over what I have today.

1. you can get a Y for stalks (it's arguably the best vehicle currently sold by Tesla in the US)
2. you'd lose free premium connectivity
3.if you don't use your FUSC much, then yeah, this has less value
4. no need to trade in with Tesla
5. FUSC is a benefit for folks that drive (duh)

1. you can get a Y for stalks (it's arguably the best vehicle currently sold by Tesla in the US)
2. you'd lose free premium connectivity
3.if you don't use your FUSC much, then yeah, this has less value
4. no need to trade in with Tesla
5. FUSC is a benefit for folks that drive (duh)
Of course, I am speaking for me not from the general deal perspective

Wow! I paid $96,000 for my 2019X LR and can buy a new one for $94,000 and still have my Free unlimited supercharging! They have my attention. I would jump today if they also transferred the FSD. Why would they not?? Does not cost them any more and I will not buy the the $15,000 FSD.
Two months ago I traded from a 2/2018 3 to a new Y and the FSD transfer offer did the trick to get me to upgrade. But even though my 12/2016 S is getting a little long in the tooth and free Supercharging for it is nearby, I prefer babying my battery by slow charging in my garage. If I was an apartment dweller or didn’t have a garage, maybe this offer would be a lot more enticing. I wouldn’t be surprised if the FSD transfer offer comes back as the take rate for FSD can’t be very good even at the “reduced price” of $12,000.

Last edited:
Interest rates are absolutely killing Tesla. Along with their insistence on not re-designing the duck billed model y. If they would put a screen behind the wheel and apply all 3 changes to the Y, I’d be a performance y buyer. And possibly get rid of my model s. No one wants to accept this but the shine is off Tesla when they made the cars cheap and didn’t want to respect owners. If there is no perceived advantage for a higher price, why would a buyer pay a premium? What happened?
So you think Model Y’s less than attractive front end is a major factor in killing sales? I don’t have any proof one way or the other but I suspect that front end was a minor factor for most recent Y buyers like me.

Of course design does matter to each buyer. For example, I bought my 12/2016 after balking on buying an S with what I considered the hideous nose cone. (Did that change help or hurt S sales? I don’t know but they have kept it for seven years.)

I'm strongly leaning towards taking them up on this offer. We have a 2015 MS 85D. It has about 100k miles on it and the trade in offer was only $11k (assuming perfect condition). The main reason -- by far -- for us to want to upgrade is to get the 405 miles of range. We do long trips (Bay Area to LA and Salt Lake City) and the longer range and quicker charging are very attractive.

The loss of free premium connectivity is a bummer since you lose satellite and real-time traffic view. But at $100 / year, the subscription isn't too bad. We'll be paying $75k for the car so $1k for 10 years of premium connectivity is probably something we can put up with.

This is a tough decision because there are so many moving parts. We have the 2020 LR X almost 4 years old and have 77k miles, we use SC @ 45 % of the time, so it has been a savings. However, also paid for FSD - $6k at the time - that has basically been in beta the whole time - so it seems that should be able to be transferred as well - which would costs Tesla zero. Next problem had thought about moving up to the Plaid but they just raised the price $5k. Next question is the $7500 tax rebate only applies to the LR Except perhaps if you are buying for a business and then may not have the $80k purchase cap?? And finally what will be the next deal around the corner? Earlier this year they were offering $5k or 6 years of free charging to give up your FUSC?

Reactions: TK16688
I have a new Model S on order. Expected delivery windows is November 11 to December 13. I got the text today. I reached out to my advisor to ask if this applies to my new car. The response was literally “it applies if your new car is eligible”. WTF????

That’s why I wrote the email in the first place. So, I wrote back asking…”well, that’s what I was asking”, to find out if my new car is eligible. That was six hours ago and no response.

I’m waiting until they update the body style and if they don’t do that I’ll likely be in a Taycan or the new Corvette E Ray in a couple years. I’ve driven a few Taycans and they handle a lot better than a Model S and I’m sure the E Ray is even better.

I have a 2015 Model S with 145k miles on it but they replaced the battery under warranty at 110k so I’ve got lots of life left in it especially now that I’m only driving it about 8,000 miles each year. I’m also on the waiting list for a Cybertruck so I’ll likely have that before they decide to change the body style of the S. My Model S is worth so little on trade, maybe $9k, that I’ll likely just give it to one of my 3 kids to drive.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: pilotSteve
I’m waiting until they update the body style and if they don’t do that I’ll likely be in a Taycan or the new Corvette E Ray in a couple years. I’ve driven a few Taycans and they handle a lot better than a Model S and I’m sure the E Ray is even better.

I have a 2015 Model S with 145k miles on it but they replaced the battery under warranty at 110k so I’ve got lots of life left in it especially now that I’m only driving it about 8,000 miles each year. I’m also on the waiting list for a Cybertruck so I’ll likely have that before they decide to change the body style of the S. My Model S is worth so little on trade, maybe $9k, that I’ll likely just give it to one of my 3 kids to drive.
I just ordered two cars. Brand new S (non-plaid) and a Taycan 4S with the 94kw battery and Mission E wheels (it’s so sexy). Test driving the Taycan was other worldly (not so much for straight line acceleration) but just the whole experience. I plan to do a deep dive on both cars when I get them.

As for my earlier post, Tesla did get back to me this AM and advised that I will be eligible for the transfer, provided I take delivery by the end of the year. I’m hoping that happens because I ordered at the beginning of September.

Anyone have any recent experience on wait times for a new (non stock) Model S?

I just ordered two cars. Brand new S (non-plaid) and a Taycan 4S with the 94kw battery and Mission E wheels (it’s so sexy). Test driving the Taycan was other worldly (not so much for straight line acceleration) but just the whole experience. I plan to do a deep dive on both cars when I get them.

As for my earlier post, Tesla did get back to me this AM and advised that I will be eligible for the transfer, provided I take delivery by the end of the year. I’m hoping that happens because I ordered at the beginning of September.

What options did you order which caused such a long lead time?

I sold my 2016 75D with FUSC last month, ordering the new S the day after the price cuts. I had SC01 and premium connectivity. Tesla offered 14K trade in for it. Carvana etc were ~18K. I sold it for nearly 30K private party. The two main discerning buyers both knew about and wanted to confirm SC01 . Others had no idea and saw an old car with 110K miles on it, offering 20-22K at the most.

With that experience in mind, I'm not sure I'd have wanted to transfer my supercharging, effectively getting SC05 on the new car. I had a long work commute with that old car, doing 30K miles a year the first three years . During that time I used up 65K miles worth free supercharging. which at my Wh/mi and ~35c/kWh is about $6600 worth.

If I transferred FUSC (SC05) I'd have to actually use it for it to be worth it. Given that I really don't, I'll take the 2-3K price premium I got selling the old car instead. YMMV of course. For those without cheap home charging and lots of SC miles, the calculus would be in favor of transferring.

I ordered MS LR sept 18. Still waiting for VIN.

Call ahead and by providing your VIN, Tesla can tell you if you qualify for FUSC transfer. ETA: I also went to Tesla store to request an exception for FSD transfer/offered to pay a premium to bundle together, and I'd buy a new S on the spot. Manager said can't do.

I’m sorry they’re keeping you waiting. I’d actually prefer a delivery at the end of the year as my 2015 85D is perfectly functional, but I was worried that if I delayed the price might go up.
Yeah, it's sort of strange. I actually ordered the car in-store, which is a first for me and then I got all of my documents to my advisor within two days, so I was ready to go from about September 15. Initially, they had my delivery date as Mid-October, now it's not looking good because I still don't have a VIN.