Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla offers to transfer lifetime free supercharging to new vehicle

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That’s where I find myself at the moment. We hardly use the third row, but on some occasions it has come in handy. My second row (2016 X) does not fold. A newer SUV with folding rows would be a nice amenity for when I haul things for small home improvement projects around the house. Still going back and forth every day - no we don’t need to upgrade, maybe the X, maybe a Y, etc.

We test drove the Y, but my wife found the 3rd row a no-go for her older parents and our tall son; otherwise I'd be considering it. I don't like the FWD but I don't see another good option for a large vehicle that's still really efficient.

I ended up putting down a deposit for a 7-seater X, though I'm not sure we'll take delivery since (and apologies to those who have paid much more in the past..) the cost is so darn high relative to a new Y, or used X. I can't believe I'm even considering it, even though I have a 90D and an older minivan to trade in.

I'm really hoping they find a way to sneak the 7-seater into the $80k window in a end of year sale or such. I can't take a business deduction on it. People with kids have less money to spend than the 5-seater families, not more! (Help, Elon! Or anyone at Tesla if they're reading this.) I'd even sign an agreement that I'd buy the $6k EAP later, if they give me the tax credit (7-seater + non-black interior?) and transferred the free super charging.

I'm partly a sucker for the FUSC because I'm imagining that the supercharger fees will grow much faster than inflation, and I'll end up kicking myself in 6 years when it's $2.00/kWh during busy times. (Though it's probably cheaper to pay that, and not take the depreciation and tax hits on a new car)

• Informative
Reactions: hybridbear
I'd even sign an agreement that I'd buy the $6k EAP later, if they give me the tax credit (7-seater + non-black interior?) and transferred the free super charging.
Please note that the tax credit has nothing to do with software addons. It's only the hardware changes that push it past the tax credit MSRP limit. Though now I am checking a tesla build to make sure that is still true, will edit in a sec...

Last edited:
Yup adding no hardware options but adding FSD you still get the tax credit even though MSRP is now above 79999
1699453565243.png

Just FYI--the text was not 100% accurate as there are some specific details in the small print.

This is a copy-and-paste from Tesla's website, which is a bit limiting (stupidly so, IMHO).

Source:

Note: Tesla will make an exception and honor your free Supercharging transfer request after the December 31, 2023 deadline if all of the following conditions are met:

• You are eligible for the free Supercharging transfer program and agreed to the program’s terms and conditions in writing by December 31, 2023.
  • You were provided with a delivery window in 2023 at the time you placed your order.
  • Your order is for an in-production vehicle available in North America.
  • Tesla did not have a vehicle with your exact configuration available for you to take delivery by December 31, 2023.
Quick question, can you transfer the supercharging to another Tesla that I own instead of the new one ? I will still buy a new S by Dec 31 but I do not want the supercharging on the new car. I have a 2022 S I want the supercharging transferred to that car. Thanks

Why ? I am still buying a Tesla , it shouldn't make a difference as long as they sell a car.
The difference is in the terms and conditions of the deal as put forth by Tesla. I understand what you're saying, even though Tesla explicitly says they will remove it from your current FUSC vehicle and transfer it to your newly purchased Tesla, what difference is it to Tesla if you prefer to have it moved to a Tesla that you already own, so long as you go ahead and purchase a new Tesla vehicle simultaneously. And while I understand that it shouldn't make a difference to Tesla, I'm pretty sure that when you try it, it will make a difference to Tesla because they'll say no. But that's the worst they can say right, you should just ask.

Reactions: dsm363
Why ? I am still buying a Tesla , it shouldn't make a difference as long as they sell a car.
My guess is your plan is to flip the new vehicle, which of course is against the terms of the order agreement. (Or you are just buying it for someone else just so you can try to take advantage of the transfer offer, again I think that is against the terms of the order agreement.)

The difference is in the terms and conditions of the deal as put forth by Tesla. I understand what you're saying, even though Tesla explicitly says they will remove it from your current FUSC vehicle and transfer it to your newly purchased Tesla, what difference is it to Tesla if you prefer to have it moved to a Tesla that you already own, so long as you go ahead and purchase a new Tesla vehicle simultaneously. And while I understand that it shouldn't make a difference to Tesla, I'm pretty sure that when you try it, it will make a difference to Tesla because they'll say no. But that's the worst they can say right, you should just ask.
I see your point, well like you said it doesn't hurt to try. I will call them and find out. Thanks

Reactions: NikolaWasRight
Quick question, can you transfer the supercharging to another Tesla that I own instead of the new one ? I will still buy a new S by Dec 31 but I do not want the supercharging on the new car. I have a 2022 S I want the supercharging transferred to that car. Thanks
We use the Y to travel a lot and the new S will be my casual car.
What Y? Your message previously mentions that you have a 2022 S where you want the FUSC transferred to & that you're going to buy a new S by Dec 31... Was one of those "S" supposed to have been a "Y" in your older message?

We test drove the Y, but my wife found the 3rd row a no-go for her older parents and our tall son; otherwise I'd be considering it. I don't like the FWD but I don't see another good option for a large vehicle that's still really efficient.

I ended up putting down a deposit for a 7-seater X, though I'm not sure we'll take delivery since (and apologies to those who have paid much more in the past..) the cost is so darn high relative to a new Y, or used X. I can't believe I'm even considering it, even though I have a 90D and an older minivan to trade in.

I'm really hoping they find a way to sneak the 7-seater into the $80k window in a end of year sale or such. I can't take a business deduction on it. People with kids have less money to spend than the 5-seater families, not more! (Help, Elon! Or anyone at Tesla if they're reading this.) I'd even sign an agreement that I'd buy the $6k EAP later, if they give me the tax credit (7-seater + non-black interior?) and transferred the free super charging.

I'm partly a sucker for the FUSC because I'm imagining that the supercharger fees will grow much faster than inflation, and I'll end up kicking myself in 6 years when it's $2.00/kWh during busy times. (Though it's probably cheaper to pay that, and not take the depreciation and tax hits on a new car)
Lol 2.00 a kWh? That would have me running as fast as I could away from an electric car.

I'd appreciate if other rear drive S owners would share their driving impressions after test driving dual motor S's. I just test drove a 2023 long range and when I got back in our 2013, I enjoy the driving dynamics of our '13. Curious if I'm alone in this situation.