Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So this is potentially good news for me. Two fairly local sites that I don’t tend to use in the Tesla, but which could be really handy in our new Mini when it turns up (assuming we ever go that far afield in it).

What I’m trying to establish is whether you can add a non-Tesla to a Tesla account which already has a Tesla associated with it?

And whether anyone has started making “My other car’s a Tesla” bumper stickers to try and placate grumpy Tesla drivers at a busy Supercharger?

"We will be closely monitoring each site for congestion and listening to customers about their experiences."

I wonder how they will be doing that?
There will nearly always be a free space if they only look at the utilisation as some of the nonTesla EVs will block 2 spaces to charge due to the charge port location. I presume they’ve been aware of this from the pilots already run but you never can tell with Tesla. It’s not as easy to monitor as one might think

Reactions: Wol747
There will nearly always be a free space if they only look at the utilisation as some of the nonTesla EVs will block 2 spaces to charge due to the charge port location. I presume they’ve been aware of this from the pilots already run but you never can tell with Tesla. It’s not as easy to monitor as one might think

And scarily, a) that's really what matters... how well they monitor and react to 3rd party cars. And b) you're right, that's a good example of how non-visual monitoring can give the wrong answer.

I think they have the right intention, but that's only the start of the journey. If they get it right, it should have negligible impact on Tesla owners, if they get it wrong, it'll go from being the gold standard in charging that other EV owners wish they had, to no benefit at all.

can they now update the satnav with better routing options to non-SCs? would be nice to include eg 4+ stall gridserve/ionity/MFG etc sites as options

This presumably also helps them along the road to opening more sites in locations that will get DNO funding and power delivery which should help us all out

Reactions: NewbieT

Based on their previous approach to things, and given that charging speeds are affected at very busy locations, I think they really consider over half full as busy anyway.

While full-full is good for the economics, it's bad for the user experience. The redundant capacity is fault-tolerant and helps things move faster.

Reactions: Wol747
can they now update the satnav with better routing options to non-SCs? would be nice to include eg 4+ stall gridserve/ionity/MFG etc sites as options

I've never used it, so not sure, but don't the filters for Charger Locations based on 3-lightening bolts, 2-bolts and 1-bolt allow for that? (although I presume you would have to manually select the non-Tesla charging site, rather than just being able to include it automatically)

ABetterRoutePlanner has "preferred charger suppliers", so you can route via those (on an either exclusive, or preferred, basis).