Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which is great, because I’ll still be able to use lots of the SuC network for my next EV - which won’t be a Tesla.

I’ve been watching the number of hubs grow - while also lazily using the tesla network. But if Tesla do open up and the current pace of installation keeps up, I will have to look elsewhere. No stalks seems a small thing but its a dealbreaker for me honestly. Drive mode bad enough (how often do you flick between drive/reverse without looking when parking?) but the indicators just seem dangerous

I have been thinking of changing to a M3 but I see on Fully charged show that the new version has dispensed with stalks - that's it as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps Polestar?
My lease runs out in a year so I’ve been browsing for a replacement. I was originally quite disappointed with Polestars, but they are transitioning to a refreshed model and as I’m looking for decent range, the improved engines and range bring the long range single engine Polestar into the equation. One downside is it’s a lot more cramped and I’m not the smallest person.

The Aussie Tesla site is showing the new M3 and there are no stalks that I can see.

That's a biggie for me. I find that very convenient when manoeuvring
Yeah I'm not super bothered about the indicators. I imagine thats something you would get used to after actually driving the car but the forward/reverse function.....I just know that would get me into trouble at some point and I'd end up going full throttle in the wrong direction 😂

Reactions: WannabeOwner
I had a semi-auto car for 14 years that had optional ‘flappy paddles’ on steering. I can actually remember if they were fixed position or rotated with the steering.

In straight line, paddles were great, but even after 14 years, it required an extra mental step if steering wasn’t straight. Push/pull shift in traditional (uk) gear position required zero thought so that, or fully auto, was used the majority of the time.

My current car has audio mute on steering wheel. Always in same position. Just stick thumb out and controls are right there. Well it should be, but isn’t. First thing I do when reversing is to mute audio. But steering isn’t always straight, and it’s a complete brain fart when that mute button is suddenly the voice dial button… thankfully I don’t know anyone called ‘ohshit’

Reactions: Mrklaw and Wol747
Reading - Westbound (Moto M4 services) has apparently gone live and become the latest (26th) Supercharger open to non-Teslas.

At time of writing it's not on the Telsa Nav or App but as reported on the UK Supercharger news thread (#6,422) the stalls are live - and in this case as they are V4, a contactless payment card can apparently be used to initiate a charge for a non-Tesla car.

The Tesla chargers are apparently cheaper than the Gridserve rapids opposite. I wonder if we'll see queues for the Tesla stalls if there are still Gridserve ones available?

Trentham has become the 27th UK supercharger open to non-Teslas. It has recently been expanded so there are now 10 V4 + 8 V3 stalls available. IMO it always made sense to allow third-party charging here and the V4 stalls will help but won't remove the problem of some V3's occasionally being blocked.
Thanks to @Dat37863 who recently spotted it had appeared on the app; it's also on Tesla's find us map:

1697107664382.png

Trentham has become the 27th UK supercharger open to non-Teslas. It has recently been expanded so there are now 10 V4 + 8 V3 stalls available. IMO it always made sense to allow third-party charging here and the V4 stalls will help but won't remove the problem of some V3's occasionally being blocked.
Thanks to @Dat37863 who recently spotted it had appeared on the app; it's also on Tesla's find us map:

View attachment 981592
Given that I have a non Tesla EV and travel that route often can't say I am too upset about this.
Especially as my Tesla has enough range to never need to stop at that one.
so its win win for me🤣

I think V4 stalls are going to be blocked too. I don't think it will be obvious, to non-Tesla drivers, which side they should use the cable from ... so some will do wrong-side, and thereby block adjacent charger.
Most folks with other cars that have no previous with Tesla's will assume (naturally) that they can connect to whatever side best suits the charge port orientation of their car / is more convenient (even if the cable can reach around, just in some cases).

Example in point was a lady in a 2016 BMW i3 at Tottenham when I was there the other day. She had connected into 2B on her drivers side port. The poor thing ran into problems trying to disconnect / end her session and came to ask me for help. She had used her phone (contactless ApplePay) to start the charge but was having all sorts trying to end the charge. She didn't have the BMW app installed, had zero idea how / couldn't stop the charge from within the car, didn't have the Tesla app and the reader wasn't recognising her phone any more (it didn't help that she was trying to use her banking app rather than ApplePay to bring up the card for the reader 😳).

Anyhow me and another chap in another X were variously googling (neither of us had the foggiest about i3's) and on the phone with Mission Control at Tesla trying to get the charge halted, so she could unlatch the cable...luckily the site wasn't too busy and there were plenty of spaces.

Most folks with other cars that have no previous with Tesla's will assume (naturally) that they can connect to whatever side best suits the charge port orientation of their car / is more convenient (even if the cable can reach around, just in some cases).

Example in point was a lady in a 2016 BMW i3 at Tottenham when I was there the other day. She had connected into 2B on her drivers side port. The poor thing ran into problems trying to disconnect / end her session and came to ask me for help. She had used her phone (contactless ApplePay) to start the charge but was having all sorts trying to end the charge. She didn't have the BMW app installed, had zero idea how / couldn't stop the charge from within the car, didn't have the Tesla app and the reader wasn't recognising her phone any more (it didn't help that she was trying to use her banking app rather than ApplePay to bring up the card for the reader 😳).

Anyhow me and another chap in another X were variously googling (neither of us had the foggiest about i3's) and on the phone with Mission Control at Tesla trying to get the charge halted, so she could unlatch the cable...luckily the site wasn't too busy and there were plenty of spaces.
To stop the charging session, push the button on the CCS plug.
Controversial opinion - If they’re open to non-Teslas - Is there a “right” and “wrong” side ?

At some point people will need to take some personal responsibility to know WTF they’re doing. It sounds like the lady wasn’t fit to be driving that vehicle.

At some point people will need to take some personal responsibility to know WTF they’re doing. It sounds like the lady wasn’t fit to be driving that vehicle.
That feels a bit victim-blamey to me. I just googled and it looks like the i3 has no way of stopping a rapid charge from within the car: you need the BMW app or to end the charge session at the charging unit - and if that isn't working I can understand why the i3 driver was snookered. The car should have an easy-to-find "end charge session" option that can be selected. It shouldn't need an in-depth knowledge of every page of the user manual plus online access to driver forums.

We have a Zoe and that has a button to end a charge session (Tesla drivers may need to google "button" 🤣 )

To stop the charging session, push the button on the CCS plug.
Controversial opinion - If they’re open to non-Teslas - Is there a “right” and “wrong” side ?
Re: pressing the CCS plug button - does that mean any passer by can end an ongoing rapid charging session?

Reactions: Sean.
That feels a bit victim-blamey to me.
Ah, the standard counter to taking personal responsibility. People not knowing what they’re doing causes all sorts of problems. Someone driving around in a vehicle they clearly don’t know how to use is quite an issue. The fact they didn’t understand how to use contactless on their phone only compounds the issue. I appreciate not everyone is going to be super dooper tech savvy, but what’s wrong with reading a manual before you set off?

Reactions: AndyWarrington
Yes, I would have thought that's only going to work on Teslas when you are standing beside it with car communicating with your phone key ... but that's just a guess ...
That’s what I thought but I think this is not the case atleast in Model S. My guess is probably it is true for both 3 and Y. Not sure about ending charging session. I will find out.

Note
If the charge cable is close to the charge port door, you can press the button on the charge cable to open the charge port door even when Model S is locked or a recognized key is not within range.

Yes, it looks like they have covered that.

Note
To prevent unauthorized unplugging of the charge cable, the charge cable latch remains locked and Model S must be unlocked or able to recognize your key before you can disconnect the charge cable.

That’s what I thought but I think this is not the case atleast in Model S. My guess is probably it is true for both 3 and Y. Not sure about ending charging session. I will find out.

Note
If the charge cable is close to the charge port door, you can press the button on the charge cable to open the charge port door even when Model S is locked or a recognized key is not within range.

Yes, it looks like they have covered that.

Note
To prevent unauthorized unplugging of the charge cable, the charge cable latch remains locked and Model S must be unlocked or able to recognize your key before you can disconnect the charge cable.

Yes, so the button is highly unlikely to operate on a non-Tesla to end a charge ... worth a shot but I would be surprised if it does.