Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla open up the SuC network [in UK]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As the list of superchargers available to non Tesla owners grows around the world I appreciate that Tesla will generate more money, not only from additional superchargers being in use for more of the time but its a big positive for those considering an EV because its a complete package that others don't have, - but its like an instant gratification satisfied, whilst in the long term this is going to cost them dearly as loyalty to the marque will be damaged especially if Tesla owners are queuing to charge whilst Non Tesla's are on the chargers.

From my personal perspective my 2020 Model 3 is a brilliant car with some rather crap autopilot software that Tesla/Electric Jesus has no intention of fixing for anywhere outside of the USA.
As the model has developed over the years, the removal of features and equipment has gone a few steps too far for me to be interested in buying another Tesla even though the Highland does look visually a big improvement - and all reviews so far seem to indicate it drives better and quieter too.

My car has been fault free, but I don't rack up the miles, just 9600 so far and its absolutely pristine - so potentially this car will last me for many years to come.

I do have a plan in my head though. Most of my journeys its just me in the car, therefore I don't need a car model 3 size, and perhaps the rumoured model 2 would suit me - IF I like what is offered when the time comes though I suspect even more features will be stripped out to achieve its market price.

As the superchargers open up to non Tesla and other manufacturers of EVs are producing cars that rival the Tesla in terms of affordability, desirability, build quality, - and in some cases are better equipped with a more traditional layout, just the fact the Tesla supercharger network will be available will undoubtedly tempt people away from Tesla and to be honest I'm one of them, so a non Tesla with the use of the superchargers in my mind is the best decision ever and opens up the greatest choice.
I suspect they didn’t have too much choice. Have to be open to get government incentives which no doubt really help with the cost of rollout. Also probably some regions / countries regulating against exclusivity when there’s only so much power to go around as well.

I guess we just need to see as they get more busy if they accelerate the rollout to offset that.

once they roll out a bit more in the next two years of my term that I have left, I'm hoping I will have the option to go elsewhere. I'm just not happy with the way Tesla are going by removing features. Be interesting to see how it goes, because currently I can't see myself buying another unfortunately. I love my M3 with USS and stalks, but the new m3 model doesn't get my vote, even if it is a nicer ride.

Good to see them gradually opening them up, but we definitely need more chargers/locations

once they roll out a bit more in the next two years of my term that I have left, I'm hoping I will have the option to go elsewhere. I'm just not happy with the way Tesla are going by removing features. Be interesting to see how it goes, because currently I can't see myself buying another unfortunately. I love my M3 with USS and stalks, but the new m3 model doesn't get my vote, even if it is a nicer ride.

Good to see them gradually opening them up, but we definitely need more chargers/locations
This.
Once Tesla will open the SC network to all other cars in next 2 years there will be lottle to no argument why you choose Tesla

Remember those words @yessuz - they will still beat the c*** out of all those legacy car makers.
I guess the point might be that if opening up the Supercharger network results in a much diminished experience by Tesla owners, then there's little to choose from between crap experience and slightly less crap in a different way experience. Might as well have a crap experience in any car.
I'm very happy with our car though if the charging experience on road trips ends up with blocked bays, two spaces taken by cars with charge ports on the wrong side, cars charging slowly but occupying a 250kWh SC then I might start to question why I bothered when I could have crap from any other provider.
I'm hoping to be proven wrong but lets see.

Remember those words @yessuz - they will still beat the c*** out of all those legacy car makers.
could be. but in the end of the day, if you can charge at all same locations as all teslas (and SCs or fast DC charging in general is in reality - quite rare occasion for most drivers (heck, even I which does 20k miles, % do AC..), then question is why would you take tesla?

I mean - you would get better quality car for the same (or less) money - and if there is no Tesla advantage - then no need for tesla.. simples.

I mostly charge at home/work, no big difference which car... especially if tesla insurance is like 2k and others is 600 :/

Tesla were the first (In any meaningful way)- so made the biggest impact and that gives Tesla kudos, coupled with their superb charging network and i can see why when people think of an EV they naturally gravitate towards Tesla.
As other manufacturers are developing their EV offerings they were a bit late to the party so have to work a lot harder to have an impact on the market and persuade people to consider alternatives to Tesla.

To put together a BEV that genuinely competed against ICE, Tesla had to work very hard, everything they built had to exceed expectation and in many respects do it better than ICE.

Moving on a few years its clear - to me anyway - Tesla's drive and progress is very different, undoubtedly due to their CEO having too many fingers in too many pies (Solar, Tunnels, Space, Robots, EV helicopters, neural networks, Twitter) and that reduction of focus on further refinement, coupled with high profile spats in the media and in the courts has negatively impacted on Tesla as a brand, Space Karen is influential but toxic.

I agree with @yessuz in his assessment - If the superchargers are opened up to all then Tesla loose their advantage that pushes people over the line to purchase a Tesla when other marques are perceived to be offering comparable alternatives - the package overall for Tesla is not as strong or compelling as it once was.

I've Just been looking up a few reviews of the BYD Seal, One was the Seal directly up against the Highland - and both reviewers said the Seal drives better, more comfortable, better equipped, more attractive, bigger HV battery, quieter, more plush, well built - and has an indicator stalk - both chose the Seal over the model 3. One reviewer found the Haptic indicators an instant deal breaker, the other said it may be possible to live with it.
The only two things Tesla did better was in the efficiency - watts per mile and the supercharger network.

Reactions: yessuz and Leejmoff
Tesla were the first (In any meaningful way)- so made the biggest impact and that gives Tesla kudos, coupled with their superb charging network and i can see why when people think of an EV they naturally gravitate towards Tesla.
As other manufacturers are developing their EV offerings they were a bit late to the party so have to work a lot harder to have an impact on the market and persuade people to consider alternatives to Tesla.

To put together a BEV that genuinely competed against ICE, Tesla had to work very hard, everything they built had to exceed expectation and in many respects do it better than ICE.

Moving on a few years its clear - to me anyway - Tesla's drive and progress is very different, undoubtedly due to their CEO having too many fingers in too many pies (Solar, Tunnels, Space, Robots, EV helicopters, neural networks, Twitter) and that reduction of focus on further refinement, coupled with high profile spats in the media and in the courts has negatively impacted on Tesla as a brand, Space Karen is influential but toxic.

I agree with @yessuz in his assessment - If the superchargers are opened up to all then Tesla loose their advantage that pushes people over the line to purchase a Tesla when other marques are perceived to be offering comparable alternatives - the package overall for Tesla is not as strong or compelling as it once was.

I've Just been looking up a few reviews of the BYD Seal, One was the Seal directly up against the Highland - and both reviewers said the Seal drives better, more comfortable, better equipped, more attractive, bigger HV battery, quieter, more plush, well built - and has an indicator stalk - both chose the Seal over the model 3. One reviewer found the Haptic indicators an instant deal breaker, the other said it may be possible to live with it.
The only two things Tesla did better was in the efficiency - watts per mile and the supercharger network.
And price. Seal is £5000 more according to what car. Long range 3 may be different matter.

What car concluded with

"tesla make other car brands look a little silly"

And "tesla is still king."

Depends on reviewers.

Can we get back on topic on this thread, there are other ones that already discuss insurance etc.

I'll start...looks like lifton might be open...anyone confirm?
It's appeared on the app and Tesla's Find Us map, so looks like a certainty.
2023-12-21 Lifton non-Tesla.png

He does have a point though, carry on 🤭
Not really (post 1363 in this very thread):

Reactions: Js1977
Nobody is going to read this thread looking for servicing costs, but in the right place your contribution would be useful and helpful.
If you use the search bar then it doesn't matter what thread the information is in. That's how I found the cost.

The mods used to be a lot more strict on keeping to the topic but nowadays conversations flow wherever they want. Most times the supplementary topics die off of their own accord.
A bit like discussing accident rates in a thread about Superchargers. ;)

Reactions: MrBadger
Question, if I own a Tesla and my wife gets a different EV, say the Volvo EX30. Do we have to pay the monthly fee for her to use the few superchargers open to all, or does it come included with my ownership?
I’m afraid you still have to pay the monthly sub to get the Tesla rate on the non-Tesla EV, even if you have a Tesla on the account. You can choose not to pay the monthly sub and still use the open-to-all SuCs, you just pay the higher rate per kWh.

Reactions: Jason71