Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla (OS) Browser - Parental control missing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is a very good point in fact, sometime kids like to be in the car, when parked, just to play using the screen.
Also, the new Model S/X have a 2nd screen at the rear, I wonder if this screen has an Internet browser?

Another concern would be if you use the Valet parking, would this mode disables the Internet browser?

Actually it would increase sales as i know of people who refrain from buying the Tesla due to the fact that the browser is not able to be filtered properly.
It's a shame that they should loose out on such a good car. Tesla OS is using Linux OS and is very hard/not possible to filter properly unless Tesla creates it internally which would help them out.

You are correctly pointing at my opinion not necessarily representing the client base. One would need to survey the potential buyer base.
It's just my opinion that this isn't a manor factor in what makes people buy the car, and again opinion that it's too much work for their software team because of that. I'm happy to be wrong, it has happened before :D

Their 3rd party browser code probably allows for a proxy under the covers, if they exposed the proxy settings one could point the browser at any of many parental (or other) proxies and they wouldn't have much work to do. It would be nice to proxy for other reasons (stripping ads from the *extremely* slow 1mbit capped ATT cellular connection).

The first snarky response that came to mind reading this was there's no danger of a kid seeing anything inappropriate, they'll fall asleep before the browser starts.

-Eric

Reactions: pereiks
Actually it would increase sales as i know of people who refrain from buying the Tesla due to the fact that the browser is not able to be filtered properly.
It's a shame that they should loose out on such a good car. Tesla OS is using Linux OS and is very hard/not possible to filter properly unless Tesla creates it internally which would help them out.
You know people that won’t buy a Tesla because there’s no filter on the browser. I call bull, or it’s a bunch of super religious nuts. You don’t make a vehicle decision based on that lol.

The browser is based on Chromium for Linux. Unfortunately, Tesla got carried away with security concerns and hid most of the settings from the user. The user has no access to favorites except to add more. The user can't clear the cache, which means that cookies stay with the browser forever. The user has no access to permissions such as location, which often causes the Tesla web apps to not work properly. Almost all of the Chromium command line interface is also disabled. The only way of resetting the browser's behavior is to factory reset the car, which seems terribly drastic.

The browser is based on Chromium for Linux. Unfortunately, Tesla got carried away with security concerns and hid most of the settings from the user. The user has no access to favorites except to add more. The user can't clear the cache, which means that cookies stay with the browser forever. The user has no access to permissions such as location, which often causes the Tesla web apps to not work properly. Almost all of the Chromium command line interface is also disabled. The only way of resetting the browser's behavior is to factory reset the car, which seems terribly drastic.
What are you talking about? There’s a favorites menu, and When you’re on a favorite, press the star, and it will remove it from favorites. And location works fine. When you use the Waze webpage it requests location access each time you use it.

What are you talking about? There’s a favorites menu, and When you’re on a favorite, press the star, and it will remove it from favorites. And location works fine. When you use the Waze webpage it requests location access each time you use it.
You neglected to mention that location permission was fixed on your version. It's still broken on the version that I have.

Was searching for info on this and stumbled across this thread,

Would really love such an option, yes I am religious and would love a Tesla, but unfortunately not when I'll have access to all the bad stuff out there on the web on the tip of my finger.

Any other ideas anyone?

Was searching for info on this and stumbled across this thread,

Would really love such an option, yes I am religious and would love a Tesla, but unfortunately not when I'll have access to all the bad stuff out there on the web on the tip of my finger.

Any other ideas anyone?
You are already browsing on the internet... you found your way here. Unless you somehow "net nanny" yourself on your own browser, and also forget the stuff to unlock it, you already are browsing so this is not an issue for you.

You are already browsing on the internet... you found your way here. Unless you somehow "net nanny" yourself on your own browser, and also forget the stuff to unlock it, you already are browsing so this is not an issue for you.
Correct, there are many web content filters out there, and in many countries by law Internet providers must have them enabled by default,
I don't have an issue with browsing the Internet, but I do have a very big problem with bad content.

I think it's a pretty basic request, I mean all big Tech companies either provide their own (e.g. Apple's Screen Time, Google Play Store Rating, Safe Search, etc.) or at least provide you with the tools to do it somehow.

So obviously, there is a genuine need, and there are many people who want to keep themselves away from all bad and immoral content, each for their own reasoning.

Reactions: jo-net