Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't normally pay attention to these figures so early in the ramp.... But it is interesting that the model 3 outsold the i3, 500e, and the E-golf!

Thats just the very modest beginning of the Model 3 to outsell other cars. Today the demand is triggered by a rather small and special group of consumers but once the car can be seen everywhere on the streets a way stronger new wave of demand will kick in.

Can't wait to see the statistics end of 2018...

Reactions: doctoxics
Assuming they can reach 2,000/week by the end of December it would take 100 weeks just to deliver to the first two days of orders. I don't know how many of the 200,000 were orders from CA buyers but 25% is probably not too far off or about 50,000 cars so that is 25 weeks just to meet CA orders. Can someone with better numbers take a swipe at this?
You're making the assumption that they will never go above 2,000 a week. They've already said they plan to hit 5,000 a week late in Q1 2018, and even more than that by the end of the year.

I don't remember... Did all stores open at the same absolute time, across the country? So a 9am opening time on the east coast was 6am on the west coast? Otherwise, stores that opened earlier would be assigning lower reservation numbers.

My point is that there are a lot of different variables to consider when figuring out the invitation order. I assert it's more of an art than a science.
No, they didn't all open at the same time, but one of the invite to configure criteria was that they were going to do it by region, if each region is in the same time zone then you largely eliminate the differences.

The delivery estimator used to say that your selection will not impact invite date. IE it is non binding. So, I never selected any preference. Hope it is not a factor. There’s another thread with poll of CA resident current owners, and last time I looked it showed only 15% had gotten invites. You are in good company... including me.
This is risky. Tesla logic may be to assume that you have made a choice and not to notify you when your number for early configuration would have come up. I realize you would be better off if they do notify you because then you can decide without using up a deferral. But my guess is they never notify you and there won't be any recourse because so few will be in that situation.

Did anyone who got an invite happen not to have selected early configuration?

Last edited:
Reactions: RenMan68
I was at the L.A. auto show today. First car show in my life. Model 3 attracted the biggest crowds of all vehicles present. Never any doubt what my plan is. Did not get to sit in the vehicle.

I-Pace from Jaguar looked nice too, but not a big fan of large SUVs. Not many people looking closely at it, it was roped off.

Tesla dude present could not present any information WRT when deliveries might start ramping above and beyond what we already know. Very chatty so I needed to pull away before he distracted me from the car.

Just can't wait. Glad the car is not as big as the S. Tesla is years ahead of everyone else. Lots of EVs on display. Many are weird mobiles. Nobody gets it...

RT

Last edited:
I was at the L.A. auto show today. First car show in my life. Model 3 attracted the biggest crowds of all vehicles present. Never any doubt what my plan is. Did not get to sit in the vehicle. I-Pace from Jaguar looked nice too, but not a big fan of large SUVs. Not many people looking closely at it, it was roped off.

Tesla dude present could not present any information WRT when deliveries might start ramping above and beyond what we already know. Very chatty so I needed to pull away before he distracted me from the car. Just can't wait. Glad the car is not as big as the S. Tesla is years ahead of everyone else. Lots of EVs on display. Many are weird mobiles. Nobody gets it...

RT
More information and photos of VW, Jaguar, and Tesla from Electrec :cool:
Electric vehicles shine at the LA Auto Show [Gallery]
574701_dsc_6852.jpg
576425__dsc1299_tn.jpg

p1250280-e1512156959957.jpg

Ok, so I'm going to ask the same question again -- how are they going to separate the "line waiters" from "early reservation holders"? Or in reality "line waiters" means "day one reservations", no?
I'm sure they have a time stamp on it so they could easily just say that anyone who reserved in store less than 5 minutes after someone else was a line waiter. After there is more than a 5 minute or so gap there is a good chance there was no longer a line. Or they could ust say anyone who reserved in store period. There are any number of ways they could do it.

Maybe anyone before noon or something? Or maybe store employees had to take note when they got through the last person in line?

Yeah, but that's just going to lead to lots of complaints of people who think they should get one, and Tesla doesn't need a customer service nightmare with thousands of complaints from people who didn't get the special prize.
Regardless of what method they choose they are going to get complaints so it probably doesn't do them much good to worry about it much.

Correct. Nothing. So just the remaining employee cars and the very few that got to order before thanksgiving get their cars this year... I’m still betting that the final numbers for December will be extremely low, as in not much more than November.
Couple dozen to current owners just so Tesla can boast they are now letting the "public" order cars... What a mess... Now we just all have to cross our fingers the final tax package keeps the FIT intact.