Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla owner configurations begin

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What??!?! :eek:

He promised us a UI SDK and a Chrome browser four years ago. He once called FW ver 8.0 a "major UI overhaul" and then it wasn't. (Elon Musk on Twitter). I think he said the same thing about 6.2 -> 7.0. A major UI overhaul shouldn't completely decimate entire sub-components that previously worked perfectly (see Media Player/USB bugs). The browser remains unchanged from 2012. Now, LTE and Slacker streaming are essentially broken. And, I don't know, but I think a lot of people are still waiting for Full Self Driving which was promised over a year ago and still nowhere in sight, not even auto-sensing wipers. There are endless examples of things Elon promised but never delivered. So if he fails on giving out gifts for M3 "line waiters", that would be essentially insignificant to all the other things he hasn't delivered yet, or things he has delivered but have massive regression bugs.

And each time I have to drive my VW eGolf instead of the tesla and curse at its design issues, I am looking forward to when I get to replace it with a tesla model 3, and am like: Thank you Elon Thank you Elon, Thank you Elon. We would still drive crap cars without him.

And each time I have to drive my VW eGolf instead of the tesla and curse at its design issues, I am looking forward to when I get to replace it with a tesla model 3, and am like: Thank you Elon Thank you Elon, Thank you Elon. We would still drive crap cars without him.

Aye! Thankfully, we have only ten more days with the crap car that is the eGolf. Each time it loses traction going from a standstill or going around a corner, my wife or I would mutter under our breath. Once we turn this in, we’ll have to “make do” with our S till the 3 shows up.

Aye! Thankfully, we have only ten more days with the crap car that is the eGolf. Each time it loses traction going from a standstill or going around a corner, my wife or I would mutter under our breath. Once we turn this in, we’ll have to “make do” with our S till the 3 shows up.
Wow, I love our eGolf. If it had 200 mile range I might not bother with 3 for a few years. I’m thinking of offering VW $1,000 for it when I turn in off lease LOL.

Ok, good to know.
His profile says UK. I have learned there is a lot of #fakenews on this site at times and to be wary.
You You's planning to do a roadtrip with his M3, to meet people and let them test drive it, tentatively departing the Bay Area on Jan 1st. I hope he gets his M3 before then. Here is the FB page for that roadtrip, and his route
upload_2017-12-5_6-40-24.png

Last edited:

That part you can fix by replacing the tires. I put Bridgestone Potenza Pole position on it after I burned through the factory tires at about 25k miles, and it is awesome to drive now and safe in rainy conditions, at the expense of some range. Corners great, has great turning radius, and smokes BMW 3-series at each light with their laggy gas engine.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...n&autoYear=2015&autoModel=e-Golf&autoModClar=

But the useless start/stop button statemachine... the fake engine noise generator, having to turn it on and off in order to drive after sitting in it listening to music for half an hour, have to press power on to close windows, have to press power off for charging, turns off when you walk out to take a picture of something etc... so stupid. And the car-net app they now want $15/month for to use that never works when you need it or logged you out again, those you can't fix.

Tesla got rid of the start/stop button in 2012. Do they have a patent on that?

Egolf and Bolt have that useless start/stop button. I did not spend enough time testing the Bolt to know if it is as annoying but it sure makes me curse the eGolf every single day.
--
2015 VW eGolf and 2016 Tesla Model X90D, 10kW solar on the garage :)

Last edited:
The whole line waiting gift conversation is like beating a dead horse.

Agreed!

What's more interesting is that no new configuration invites have been sent. I'm not really surprised since the 2017 delivery window is essentially closed at this point. I fully expect the next batch of invites to be for January 2018 delivery.

That's not necessarily true, although I am not arguing that it's false, either. The Model 3 currently has, what, six physical variations that must be set at build time? The color, and that's it. All vehicles produced today have the PUP and LR, and wheels can be easily changed out as needed. Autopilot and EAP are 100% software. Again, I'm not arguing that it's probable, but it's absolutely possible that Tesla is building what they can in batches according to build configuration popularity that they've seen thus far, and assigning to orders post-hoc. With such a small range of builds and most of them destined for locations relatively close to Fremont, it's entirely feasible for an owner to be invited to configure, finalize their order, have a pre-built vehicle assigned, shipped, and delivered in a span of 7-14 days.

The fat lady hasn't sung, so to speak, for another week or so, IMO.

I need some help. We live in so. California, have a model S, and reserved a model 3 on 7/31/2017. The problem is, according to the estimator, we can expect delivery late 2018. After many, many conversations with low level people at Tesla (they do a real good job at protecting those who can actually resolve issues), we are assured that we will have a delivery priority, and that the estimator needs to be updated. Needless to say, I'm beyond skeptical. I would like to see a reply form anyone here that is a current owner, lives in California, reserved a model 3 at about the same time frame, and would share their delivery estimate.

I need some help. We live in so. California, have a model S, and reserved a model 3 on 7/31/2017. The problem is, according to the estimator, we can expect delivery late 2018. After many, many conversations with low level people at Tesla (they do a real good job at protecting those who can actually resolve issues), we are assured that we will have a delivery priority, and that the estimator needs to be updated. Needless to say, I'm beyond skeptical. I would like to see a reply form anyone here that is a current owner, lives in California, reserved a model 3 at about the same time frame, and would share their delivery estimate.
The batch of current owners who were released to configure their cars (you can find a link to the list of people here on this thread) all have CA addresses. As long as you did not indicate you wanted the standard battery, you should be getting an email soon. Remember to check your junk mailbox.

Agreed!

That's not necessarily true, although I am not arguing that it's false, either. The Model 3 currently has, what, six physical variations that must be set at build time? The color, and that's it. All vehicles produced today have the PUP and LR, and wheels can be easily changed out as needed. Autopilot and EAP are 100% software. Again, I'm not arguing that it's probable, but it's absolutely possible that Tesla is building what they can in batches according to build configuration popularity that they've seen thus far, and assigning to orders post-hoc. With such a small range of builds and most of them destined for locations relatively close to Fremont, it's entirely feasible for an owner to be invited to configure, finalize their order, have a pre-built vehicle assigned, shipped, and delivered in a span of 7-14 days.

The fat lady hasn't sung, so to speak, for another week or so, IMO.

I was wondering the same thing. I'm wondering if they're going to batch deliver them to the initial customers at the center mentioned in this article: Tesla is stockpiling even more Model 3 vehicles ahead of LA delivery center launch

Maybe a little party? :)

The current owners who have received their invitations are also ones that reserved on 3/31/16 (and I think also all in-store, before the reveal. well, except Bonnie, who reserved at the reveal, and no longer lives in CA). So while you do get priority for being an owner, I don't know how much it well help when weighed against a relatively late reservation. Just one data point - I'm a NON-california, reserved in-store first thing in the morning on 3/31/16, and became an owner afterwards. My estimator is currently saying November to January for first production.

Hard to see all of those Model 3's just sitting there with the clock potentially ticking faster than we anticipated (tax reform) on the federal tax credit...

I don't even care about the tax credit, I just want the quality of life improvement that autopilot and a new car will bring. This wait has been brutal, and knowing that Tesla's probably not going to be able to follow through on their current delivery window promises is just going to make it worse.

Reactions: Skryll and JHawk
I heard from my DS today. She sounded very new to Tesla! Anyway, no VIN yet, but she did confirm that they are still on track for the 4 weeks delivery schedule.

Oh, she knew nothing about the "something special" for line-waiters, but I tossed it to her to think about anyway. We shall see.

Nothing else new in MyTesla either

Surprised no more invites for over two weeks!! Really wish I stood in line...going to SF next week and really hoped I could pick up my 3 while I am there.

The batch of current owners who were released to configure their cars (you can find a link to the list of people here on this thread) all have CA addresses. As long as you did not indicate you wanted the standard battery, you should be getting an email soon. Remember to check your junk mailbox.
Wrong to get expectations up. Only a small % of CA current owners got invites. Nobody knows how "soon", so let's not promote sleepless nights.

Ironically, although masquerading as a potential Model 3 customer, the guy who initially made this suggestion on this thread a few pages back under the handle @beachbum77 IS a prominent TSLA short seller.

His name is Donn Bailey, and he has published 44 anti-Tesla articles in just the past 7 months on Seeking Alpha. According to his disclaimer on Seeking Alpha he is short Tesla (through stock options).

I haven't checked but doubt any other Seeking Alpha TSLA author has been so prolific in the past few months -- in any case he has authored so many anti-Tesla articles that he is the top author on all of Seeking Alpha for "short ideas."

Big surprise that he doesn't proudly link his Seeking Alpha articles and short position in his TMC signature.:rolleyes:

It doesn't make him wrong, though. I haven't seen any indication that Tesla is making anything short of a mess when it comes to this situation.