Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Ownership says ALC is part of basic AP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not having ALC baked into AP isn't all that surprising to me. Don't forget people with EAP (which does include ALC) paid 2.5x more for EAP ($5K) than people who are purchasing just AP ($2K). Tesla has responded to many requests to get more inexpensive access to TACC and they did this. Name ANY other car manufacturer that offers ALC in any of their TACC packages? I'm not here saying that people shouldn't want ALC, just pointing out that this is marketing at work!

They need to either enable ALC when manually signaling or allow easy control of the wheel after signaling without disengaging AP when manually changing lanes. I understand AP not turning on the signal and changing lanes without user input as that is part of NOA.

They need to either enable ALC when manually signaling or allow easy control of the wheel after signaling without disengaging AP when manually changing lanes.

Lane changes while autosteer remains engaged is a feature of EAP- which was $5000 pre-purchase and no longer offered.

It's now a part of FSD (for those who never bought EAP)

The cheap AP is autosteer in a single lane exclusively, and TACC anytime. That's it. If you want more than that you need to buy FSD to get it.

T
I understand AP not turning on the signal and changing lanes without user input as that is part of NOA.

Nope- that feature doesn't even exist currently (for general consumers- it's been in a few early access builds).

Currently those with EAP (or AP AND FSD) can use the turn signal to tell the car to change lanes automatically (or to confirm a change the car might want to make when using NoA).

In future public builds you'll have the option of still doing that, or enabling the car to make those changes without confirmation when using NoA (you'll still be able to "command" lane changes with the turn signal stalk on your own too while keeping autosteer engaged)

I'm fine with manually changing lanes while in autopilot I just wish it didn't disengage or make me force the lane change if I signal before making it. I had lane keep assist in my 2018 Sierra and as long as I signaled I could cross the line without resistance. If I tried changing lanes without signaling it would resist and I'd have to turn through it.

The behavior indicates to me that the rearrangement of features was quickly planned without being thought through. Software refinement of behavior could not be addressed in the time available. No doubt this was a quick implementation to drive 1Q revenue. Let's hope Tesla refines the behaviors with lane change and other items.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
My DS just confirmed today that ALC is part of the basic AP that I ordered.. I’m taking delivery on Saturday, so we’ll see!

Congrats, you don't even have the car yet and are already being lied to by poorly informed low-level Tesla employees!

You can see the description of what comes with basic AP at tesla.com in the model 3 configurator- it's just autosteer and TACC.

AP including ALC makes a nice complete package. TACC slows down when necessary, not need to cancel and resume all the time like plain CC. ALC does the same for Autosteer, no need to override and re-enable every time you need to change lanes. While no ALC with AP gives some incentive to buy FSD, Tesla should include it in the basic AP package.

Reactions: Kant.Ing
Just noticed a new button in My Tesla account to upgrade to FSD before delivery, no mention of Auto Lane Change anywhere:

ECB5E2D7-55A5-4E79-B13E-3FA94AE038AE.jpeg

BDB38942-F766-4F43-9BD4-A1584056D7DC.jpeg

I speculate that someone is confusing LDW with ALC. Also, I purchased the $2,000 AP and I do not have ALC nor the ability to select it in my autopilot settings. I find it easy to change lanes. After making sure it is safe to change lanes I signal then turn the steering wheel which disengages Autosteer only. Last I turn on Autosteer once centered in the lane. I do not feel any resistance. I drive in sport mode steering.

I think Tesla should have included this, but really they could have found a better way to package these features. But they didn't...

Auto lane change wouldn't push me to send 5k on fsd, but it's a bit annoying it is not included for new buyers.

1k for tacc, 3k ap with auto lane change, 5k for eap, and 8k for fsd....

So I took delivery this morning and as everyone here pretty much expected, no ALC with basic AP.
I went ahead and added FSD for $5000 as I really don't think AP makes sense without ALC.

Let's see how "full" FSD will end up being.. at least NoAP and Autopark are already here, and I get basic summon for now.
Looking forward to the no-confirmation NoAP and enhanced Summon. This is also exciting/promising:

https://electrek.co/2019/03/23/tesla-autopilot-red-light-warnings-lane-changes/

Prior to (manually) changing lanes, one needs to disengage AP first? Quite counter-intuitive for such an easy task, isn't it? Hopefully Tesla will correct that.
If you have AP only (not EAP) using the turn signal disengages the auto steer and lets you take control to change lanes. TACC stays on during this process. You will however need to re-engage auto streer after manual lane change is complete. Speaking from experience after getting AP on my December delivered Model 3.