Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, Please consider: One simple tweak could turn FSD beta from "pretty bad" to "pretty sweet"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
PLEASE ADD LANE CHANGE CONFIRMATION!

Yes, I did mean to shout. It is very frustrating to see something that works so well most of the time get rendered completely impotent by something that is so easily addressed. I realize fixing the erratic lane change issue must be difficult or it would have been fixed by now. However, it *is* easy to add the option to required operator confirmation before starting a lane change. If we had that simple feature back it would make FSD beta soooo much better and actually useful. I'm guessing the feedback should be helpful fixing the issue, too. I can't understand how anyone thought it was OK to release it in the current state without mandatory confirmation. At least make it optional.

I’m one of those that tried no confirmation required with NoA when it was initially released, but soon went to requiring confirmation for years until FSD beta took that away (on surface streets). For some reason, it hasn’t bothered me not requiring confirmation on FSD beta. Perhaps like your experience with FSD beta, NoA for me back then made very poor decisions of when to change lanes, and the turn signal would turn on without warning which would unnecessarily scare vehicles in the next lane. But for me, FSD beta has made consistently good decisions of when to change lanes, both on surface streets for the last 1.5 years and now on highways as well. I guess it‘s a YMMV situation again.

Reactions: APotatoGod
PLEASE ADD LANE CHANGE CONFIRMATION!....
NEWS Flash! Then it wold NOT be FULL Self Driving. While L2 Tesla is emulating FULL Self Driving and it makes driving decisions. So if you want NoA then you need to cut FSD Beta off and use the legacy NoA stack.

FSD Bata is one Stack now. So it doesn't discriminate and just drives the same on all roads. If Tesla added this (which they won't) then you would need to confirm on ALL roads.

Last edited:
NEWS Flash! Then it wold NOT be FULL Self Driving. While L2 Tesla is emulating FULL Self Driving and it makes driving decisions. So if you want NoA then you need to cut FSD Beta off and use the legacy NoA stack.

FSD Bata is one Stack now. So it doesn't discriminate and just drives the same on all roads. If Tesla added this (which they won't) then you would need to confirm on ALL roads.
It's BETA. Will be for a long time. NOA doesn't cut it either. It needs confirmation on all roads. I have to override over 90% of lane changes. It would be sooo much better if I didn't have to drive with one hand on the stalk all the time and just confirm on the rare case that the lane change is correct.

for me, FSD beta has made consistently good decisions of when to change lanes, both on surface streets for the last 1.5 years and now on highways as well. I guess it‘s a YMMV situation again.
Wow. For me highway has always been fine - it is just on surface streets that that issues arise. I see you are located California. wonder if CA surface roads are just better mapped. I am in the Phoenix valley and do not get the same experience (by a long shot).

Just today, on the highway I had the car in the rightmost lane with my exit coming up in less than a mile. This was during the morning commute so there was a lot of traffic. Suddenly the car tries to move to a faster lane. I cancelled with the turn signal lever and then with under a half mile it tried to again. The car would never have been able to get back over in time to make the exit so I cancelled out of FSD. So for me, lane selection is still a problem. It seems to lack the ability to plan ahead for upcoming exits and turns.

Last edited:
It's BETA. Will be for a long time. NOA doesn't cut it either. It needs confirmation on all roads. I have to override over 90% of lane changes. It would be sooo much better if I didn't have to drive with one hand on the stalk all the time and just confirm on the rare case that the lane change is correct.
I was overriding about 100% of lane changes until I found the new toggle to turn off speed based changes, allow only route based changes. That has made the experience a lot better, the drawback is it needs to be selected per drive, the default is “off”
Toggle is on the controls>autopilot screen.

I was overriding about 100% of lane changes until I found the new toggle to turn off speed based changes, allow only route based changes. That has made the experience a lot better, the drawback is it needs to be selected per drive, the default is “off”
Toggle is on the controls>autopilot screen.
Also available via right scroll wheel if you are talking about "minimal lane changes" on FSDb 11.3.x.

• Informative
Reactions: Genie
Just today, on the highway I had the car in the rightmost lane with my exit coming up in less than a mile. This was during the morning commute so there was a lot of traffic. Suddenly the car tries to move to a faster lane. I cancelled with the turn signal lever and then with under a half mile it tried to again. The car would never have been able to get back over in time to make the exit so I cancelled out of FSD. So for me, lane selection is still a problem. It seems to lack the ability to plan ahead for upcoming exits and turns.
I've observed this, too - trying to move into the left lane just before making a right turn. I've also seen the opposite where it stayed in the right lane of a 3 lane road before an upcoming left turn and only trying to get over once I reached the light. I actually let it do its thing since there were no cars around at the time and I was curious. It missed its turn. I think, there is more than one issue at play here, though. The lack of foresight as you mentioned but there is something seemingly random, too. There is a section of road I drive each morning with two lanes and my car, if left to its own devices, will bounce back and forth several times between lanes for no apparent reason. My next turn is miles away. Does it whether there are cars nearby or not. It just can't decide where it wants to be. (This is still happening on 11.3.3 with Minimal Lane Changes set). For me MLC seems to only apply to the freeway. I am quite happy with freeway behavior (with MLC set).

I've observed this, too - trying to move into the left lane just before making a right turn. I've also seen the opposite where it stayed in the right lane of a 3 lane road before an upcoming left turn and only trying to get over once I reached the light. I actually let it do its thing since there were no cars around at the time and I was curious. It missed its turn. I think, there is more than one issue at play here, though. The lack of foresight as you mentioned but there is something seemingly random, too. There is a section of road I drive each morning with two lanes and my car, if left to its own devices, will bounce back and forth several times between lanes for no apparent reason. My next turn is miles away. Does it whether there are cars nearby or not. It just can't decide where it wants to be. (This is still happening on 11.3.3 with Minimal Lane Changes set). For me MLC seems to only apply to the freeway. I am quite happy with freeway behavior (with MLC set).
I just got V11 of FSD over the weekend. Before I got accepted into FSD Beta, I had almost given up on Autopilot due to all the very poor lane change choices. Discovering the option to turn off lane changes for speed saved it for me. It was then pretty useful, except with all the phantom breaking. The pre V11 FSD was so bad at road strategy that I would often leave it off, except for long sections w/o turns. The V.11 has been a net-loss. It -still- has all the same phantom breaking problems, plus it's lane choices are worse (all the same poor choices about overtaking, -plus- the seemingly random decisions to go into wrong lanes.) Tesla clearly realizes how bad this is and prevents one from setting the MLC to be permanently. Otherwise, I suspect so many would do this that they get no testing on the feature.

I'm glad I dropped by this thread and realized the right scroll wheel can pull up a card to activate MLC.

I'd suggest that on first blush, v11 is a big success. We have the beginning of single stack. And almost all of the issues we are seeing are the same ones we've been talking about - lane choice, nav, errant signals, hesitation, etc.

Sure there's some new "features" that need adjusted. But this release sounds about as good if not better than my expectations. I've made my criticisms of Tesla in the past. But in this case, despite their inability to distribute OTA software, they have done well. Good adjustment in an attempt to satisfy the recall.

In the meantime, I remain on the Tesla recall list. <sigh>

Reactions: Dewg
Move the right scroll wheel left and right. Similar to changing tracks of music with the left scroll wheel. This replaces the functionally of follow distance that was available with Autopilot.
Oh, I see. It looks like the 3's, Y's and Paladium powertrains can do this. I have a Raven, so no left/right on the scroll wheel for me. Still, I wish there was another shortcut for me to use. Maybe I'll play around and see. Thanks, anyway!

I just got V11 of FSD over the weekend. Before I got accepted into FSD Beta, I had almost given up on Autopilot due to all the very poor lane change choices. Discovering the option to turn off lane changes for speed saved it for me. It was then pretty useful, except with all the phantom breaking. The pre V11 FSD was so bad at road strategy that I would often leave it off, except for long sections w/o turns. The V.11 has been a net-loss. It -still- has all the same phantom breaking problems, plus it's lane choices are worse (all the same poor choices about overtaking, -plus- the seemingly random decisions to go into wrong lanes.) Tesla clearly realizes how bad this is and prevents one from setting the MLC to be permanently. Otherwise, I suspect so many would do this that they get no testing on the feature.

I'm glad I dropped by this thread and realized the right scroll wheel can pull up a card to activate MLC.

Otherwise, I suspect so many would do this that they get no testing on the feature.
It's funny, I came to this same conclusion on my drive into the Office this morning. If Tesla didn't 'force' it, I (and I suspect many others) wouldn't normally use this feature because it's just so bad. But, we are BETA testers, right? This is what we're for - to help improve FSD by actually testing its features.

Reactions: GalacticHero