Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Maybe Tesla should create a autopilot training video for owners. The owner is required to watch the owner in front of the in-camera (to avoid cheating) then take a test. If the owner fails the test then he/she cannot use autopilot. The pre-owner can go to a Tesla sale office to train and take the test before buying the car too. The insurance companies probably like this. Liberty Mutual required my kid to take lessons and take the test before enrolling.
All the people driving poorly passed a test. Even the ones making AP videos from the back seats of their cars. They took a class, drove with an instructor, took a written test and then a driving test. Passed them all, yet still do dumb things.

I don't see a parameter for "dumbass wearing a mask alone in his own car."
There are plenty of good reasons to wear a mask alone in your own car:
1) You are going to pick up or you just dropped off passengers
2) You wore the mask in area where it was necessary prior to getting in the car and prefer not to remove it yet until you get home.
3) You are going to place where it is necessary to wear and prefer to put on the mask prior to leaving home, instead of storing it in the car somewhere and put it on afterwards.

It's not big deal unless you are the type of person offended by someone wearing a mask for some reason or you absolutely hate wearing one and must have it off unless absolutely necessary (however, this is not necessarily good practice given the easiest way to intake particles that got on the mask is to continually take it off and put it on).

A quick google image search found it's the first scenario:
Tesla-Model-3-Cabin-Camera-Footage.jpg

Tesla hacker unveils what the Model 3/Y cabin camera can see (video clips) - Tesla Oracle

That brings up a thought. Previously if I struck out using FSDb, I could still use FSD just fine. Maybe y'all realized that already and I'm just catching on. FSD does most of what FSDb does so that wasn't a huge deal. Now we might have to actually drive our cars for a week if we strike out! <GASP>

Might be my new favorite 1st world problem! :rolleyes:
It’s not a “first world problem“. I paid an enormous amount of money for this feature. Now, after the contract is signed, and the car is delivered, they are moving the goalposts, and changing the rules.

It might not be a big deal for you to drive the car for a week. But for me, it’s the only reason I bought the car. I drive a ton. Some weeks I’ll do 1000 miles. I bought the car specifically to use autopilot. That’s it. That’s the only reason I bought it. Every other car I’ve ever had was half the price. This might not be a big deal to you, but it is for others.

There are plenty of good reasons to wear a mask alone in your own car:
1) You are going to pick up or you just dropped off passengers
2) You wore the mask in area where it was necessary prior to getting in the car and prefer not to remove it yet until you get home.
3) You are going to place where it is necessary to wear and prefer to put on the mask prior to leaving home, instead of storing it in the car somewhere and put it on afterwards.
4. I'm wearing an N95 which is hard to get right and still have my hair look presentable, and I want it on to ride the elevator (currently 3 Covid cases, multiple never-ending colds and 2 pneumonias that I'm aware of among my 500 neighbours in this building) and then wear it at church (singing is a higher risk activity and there are lots of unmasked people coughing and singing). On top of that, I'm on day 29 of the never ending cold and still getting occasional coughing fits, so still not at full strength immune system and don't want others to think IATA. It is 10 minutes to drive to church so I put my mask on when I leave the apartment and take it off when I get home.

The mask doesn't make the FSDb camera freak out any more than without a mask. I don't get many warnings because I've learned how to hold the wheel, after months of 9 & 3 not working for me. I was one of those people who held the wheel and looked ahead. My arm blocked the flashing on the screen and so I'd get a lot of audio warnings and end up swearing at the effing car because I was using AP exactly as it was to be used. Once tesla introduced strikeouts (and I thought they were removing the audio warning) I had to get comfortable with just one hand providing torque because I didn't want to eff over the other driver of the car who actually likes this car and wants to use FSDb. With one hand, my arm doesn't block the screen now, and I use the scroll wheels to dismiss any warnings I do get. When highway driving, I note I get fewer warnings on sunny days than not, so that's how I know sunglasses make a difference. But not using FSDbollocks was the norm for me, though, due to the effing wiper situation. Now I have it turned off completely in my normal profile (and thus have to dismiss the invitation to activate FSDbollocks each time I get into the car.)

It’s not a “first world problem“. I paid an enormous amount of money for this feature. Now, after the contract is signed, and the car is delivered, they are moving the goalposts, and changing the rules.

A lot of people (including me in 2020) don't understand what "owning a tesla" means. It means they can move goalposts and change rules whenever they want. You never get true 'ownership.' All features (even some physical ones, my car no longer uses the installed radar), are there at the whim of tesla engineers and can be removed or broken (auto wipers for example) at any time in an update. And when you purchase the car, you agree to install ALL updates. (And if you are putting off a problematic update but have to take the car in for service, all updates will be done automatically because that is what you agreed to when you bought the car.)

At any time, they can brick your car or make it virtually unusable if you do not follow what you agreed to in the End User Sofware License Agreement.

This is the tesla 'advantage' that many people extol. OTAs mean you get a 'new' car with most updates. OTAs mean added features, bug fixes, UI 'improvements', new apps, and, so far for me, two NHTSA triggered safety recalls that require us to do nothing but wait for an OTA update. All free (I bought a garmin when my last car's NAV software was so out of date it was unusable and it was $$$ and a dealership visit for an update). All relatively conveniently delivered (not so much for me, cuz I don't have wifi or a phone with decent data plan, but that's on me, not tesla and the SCs welcome me to come in for a visit while my car hops on their guest wifi for updates.)

It is what keeps people from getting 'bored' with their car after a few years.

I hate my tesla for a large host of reasons but 'boring' is not a word I could use to describe it.

But all those advantages of owning a tesla come with the cost that you don't really 'own' it. You register, drive, and insure it after paying tesla a pile of money, but you drive it at the will of tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12 and DrGriz
I own a 2022 MSLR and aside from all of the other chatter about this "recall"...I just came here to say that I'm totally excited that they finally got rid of the ridiculous steering "tug" previously required every 30 seconds!!! FINALLY I can just drive my car with my hand on the wheel without having to yank the wheel like some neanderthal. THANK YOU!

I own a 2022 MSLR and aside from all of the other chatter about this "recall"...I just came here to say that I'm totally excited that they finally got rid of the ridiculous steering "tug" previously required every 30 seconds!!! FINALLY I can just drive my car with my hand on the wheel without having to yank the wheel like some neanderthal. THANK YOU!
So your car is now like all of the other cars...Awesome.

I have a 22MSLR and have never had to "tug" on it, just rest a finger on the yoke.

So your car is now like all of the other cars...Awesome.

I have a 22MSLR and have never had to "tug" on it, just rest a finger on the yoke.
In my experience, there was no "resting your finger on the yoke" there had to be an intentional, relatively forceful steering intervention (yes, I know you could also adjust the volume to trigger it). My wife's X3 uses a capacitive sensor, and doesn't require moving the steering wheel. Tesla's system seemed less advanced to me. This is much more seamless.

In my experience, there was no "resting your finger on the yoke" there had to be an intentional, relatively forceful steering intervention (yes, I know you could also adjust the volume to trigger it). My wife's X3 uses a capacitive sensor, and doesn't require moving the steering wheel. Tesla's system seemed less advanced to me. This is much more seamless.
Again, I think it was something with your individual car that the update fixed. I have 3 Tesla's and never have to yank any of them...slight pressure and no nags.

I was about ready to dismiss your claim, then I remembered being surprised by how little force it took to keep the "apply slight turning force to the steering wheel" notifications from popping up this morning on my way to work. It definitely knows when I'm looking at my cell phone, though - it only took a few seconds to get a "beep beep - please pay attention to the road" notification while testing.

Maybe Tesla should create an autopilot training video for owners. The owner is required to watch the owner in front of the in-camera (to avoid cheating) then take a test. If the owner fails the test then he/she cannot use autopilot. The pre-owner can go to a Tesla sale office to train and take the test before buying the car too. The insurance companies probably like this. Liberty Mutual required my kid to take lessons and take the test before enrolling.
Thats a good idea.

Pilots don’t use autopilots without training. After the driver passes, or at least attends the class, Tesla remotely turns on the autopilot.

There seems to be more video training on how to charge your Tesla, than how to use the autopilot.

Last edited:
I was about ready to dismiss your claim, then I remembered being surprised by how little force it took to keep the "apply slight turning force to the steering wheel" notifications from popping up this morning on my way to work. It definitely knows when I'm looking at my cell phone, though - it only took a few seconds to get a "beep beep - please pay attention to the road" notification while testing.
It's not pressure, it's resistance to the turning torque. When people think of pressure they want to push on the wheel parallel to the steering column, when what really needs to happen is resisting the turning torque of the steering motor. This subtle different can easily trip people up and likely explains why some people struggle, while others have no issues.

It's not pressure, it's resistance to the turning torque. When people think of pressure they want to push on the wheel parallel to the steering column, when what really needs to happen is resisting the turning torque of the steering motor. This subtle different can easily trip people up and likely explains why some people struggle, while others have no issues.
For the record, I certainly understood it was applying rotational torque to the steering wheel/yoke. Personally, I found it overly obtrusive and borderline ridiculous in 2023, so I'm super happy with the change.

Reactions: SalisburySam
However Tesla needs to explain it clearly. I think many people including me don't know about this until after couple months of using the car.

Reactions: SidetrackedSue