Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
why would there be a case of "car can't autosteer" since they explicitly are not disabling autosteer in the recall?

You are correct my wording was sloppy but I hadn't read all the full recall notice when I wrote that.

At the very most, the recall will mean the car can't be driven using autosteer the exact same way it was being driven before. There will be some change, likely to enforcement of attention of the driver.

Tesla has a history of removing features in order to comply with NHTSA recall requests. So for a long time we could not use the Vent feature in the app or "auto-close windows on lock" as a result of a previous NHTSA recall. For most people, those features have been returned. But, given the history, it is not an unreasonable gut reaction to think that Autosteer will be hobbled for a period of time. Further information is being posting from official sources which shows that is unlikely to happen. But my good faith expectations for Tesla have been disabled by Tesla's past actions (along with my radar.)

That link to Tesla contains details on which cars will start getting the fix:

At no cost to customers, affected vehicles will receive an over-the-air software remedy, which is expected to begin deploying to certain affected vehicles on or shortly after December 12, 2023, with software version 2023.44.30. These include vehicles equipped with an in-cabin camera and Autopilot Hardware 3.0 or Autopilot Hardware 4.0. Remaining affected vehicles, including vehicles equipped with Autopilot Hardware 3.0 but without an in-cabin camera and vehicles equipped with Autopilot Hardware 2.5, Autopilot Hardware 2.0 or Autopilot Hardware 1.0, will receive an over-the-air software remedy at a later date.

So at this point the only vehicles that will get the fix in 2023.44.30 are HW3/HW4 vehicles with an in-cabin camera.

Who knows what version will contain the fix for the remainder of vehicle configurations:
  • HW3 without an in-cabin camera
  • HW2.5/HW2.0
  • HW1.0

WASHINGTON, Dec 13 (Reuters) - Tesla (TSLA.O) is recalling just over two million vehicles in the United States fitted with its Autopilot advanced driver-assistance system to install new safeguards, after a safety regulator said the system posed safety concerns.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has been investigating the electric automaker led by billionaire Elon Musk for more than two years over whether Tesla vehicles adequately ensure that drivers pay attention when using Autopilot. The largest ever Tesla recall appears to cover nearly all of its vehicles on U.S. roads.

So WHAT exactly the "new safeguards" will be?
Shorter nagging intervals?
Fair weather only?
Eye tracking?
Geo-fencing to major straight (non-winding) divided highways?

Enforcement of all the disclaimers?
View attachment 998942

🤷‍♀️🤷‍♂️
probably constant nagging to keep hands on the wheel and eye tracking....

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
From Tesla's statement:

What is this issue and how does it affect my vehicle?

"Autosteer is designed and intended for use on controlled-access highways when the feature is not operating in conjunction with the Autosteer on City Streets feature."

"If the driver attempts to engage Autosteer when conditions are not met for engagement, the feature will alert the driver it is unavailable through visual and audible alerts, and Autosteer will not engage."

Conditions not met might include not operating in conjunction with the Autosteer on City Streets feature. In fact, it should as per their initial statement.

"additional checks upon engaging Autosteer and while using the feature outside controlled access highways"

Several ways to interpret this, some requiring mental gymnastics, which I am probably guilty of doing here.

Wort case scenario is autosteer is no longer allowed outside controlled access highways unless operating in conjunction with autosteer on city streets. i.e. AP1 vehicles. This is my concern.

"Neither the recall nor its remedy disables Autosteer or features that rely on Autosteer."

Is it considered disabling something if it was never intended to be used there in the first place? Or is it considered patching a loophole? I don't know.

Conditions not met might include not operating in conjunction with the Autosteer on City Streets feature. In fact, it should as per their initial statement.
There are already conditions to enabling Autosteer. We don't know if/how those conditions have changed. Well, I can almost guarantee that one condition that is changing is that enabling Autosteer will now require that, if equipped, the in-cabin camera is operating and not covered. (Autosteer currently works with the in-cabin camera covered.)

Wort case scenario is autosteer is no longer allowed outside controlled access highways unless operating in conjunction with autosteer on city streets. i.e. AP1 vehicles. This is my concern.

But that is in conflict with this statement:
additional checks upon engaging Autosteer and while using the feature outside controlled access highways and when approaching traffic controls
How can they have additional checks while using it outside of controlled access highways, if they don't allow it to be used outside of controlled access highways?

I haven't read this yet but haven't seen it posted anywhere so far, here's Tesla's own page about the recall that may include additional details

Vehicles in Canada are affected as well

This response is incredibly helpful and answers fully what to expect, what software update, and roughly in what order. Looks like I'll be jumping from 2023.27.7 (11.4.7.3) to 2023.44.30. As I don't have wifi at my parking spot, it will be interesting to see if this is sent to my car via the LTE network (some previous ones were installed that way.)

Thank you for posting the link to all the answers.

Reactions: navguy12
How can they have additional checks while using it outside of controlled access highways, if they don't allow it to be used outside of controlled access highways?
It is only intended to be used out of controlled access highways when operating in conjunction with autosteer on city streets.

No AP1 vehicles have autosteer on city streets, but many of them do currently have the ability to engage autosteer outside of controlled access highways. This is what could be taken away.

Also, no AP1 vehicles have in cabin cameras.

It's going to be interesting to see how they implement this on AP1 cars since I think the code is locked and hasn't has been touched in years. There is already a check in AP1 that limits AutoPilot to 50 mph on a non divided highway since an update in 2016 but sounds like maybe more alert messages are coming soon. :mad:

8 people out of 2,000,000 ruined common sense for everyone.
It's been a couple of years since I had my 2015 AP1 P85D but I seem to recall it was +5 MPH over the speed limit, not a hard 50 MPH limit.

Reactions: cleverscreenam
It is only intended to be used out of controlled access highways when operating in conjunction with autosteer on city streets.

No AP1 vehicles have autosteer on city streets, but many of them do currently have the ability to engage autosteer outside of controlled access highways. This is what could be taken away.

Also, no AP1 vehicles have in cabin cameras.
AP1 vehicles do not appear to be included in the recall.

• Disagree
Reactions: MP3Mike
AP1 vehicles do not appear to be included in the recall.
They are. I bolded it in their statement below.

"Remaining affected vehicles, including vehicles equipped with Autopilot Hardware 3.0 but without an in-cabin camera and vehicles equipped with Autopilot Hardware 2.5, Autopilot Hardware 2.0 or Autopilot Hardware 1.0, will receive an over-the-air software remedy at a later date."

Reactions: MP3Mike
There are already conditions to enabling Autosteer. We don't know if/how those conditions have changed. Well, I can almost guarantee that one condition that is changing is that enabling Autosteer will now require that, if equipped, the in-cabin camera is operating and not covered. (Autosteer currently works with the in-cabin camera covered.)

But that is in conflict with this statement:

The first part relates to engaging it, the second relates to operation. So perhaps there are strict checks where you can engage it (for example it may now require you to be on a controlled access road to engage), but you can continue operating it if you reach more local roads and system won't actively disengage.

I find this more acceptable. In daily driving, I am using it on controlled access roads, but on longer trips, there are sometimes roads that transition to a one lane road with no barrier in the middle (which is still high speed, but it is not the same as a traditional controlled access road). As long as it remains engaged, that is ok with me.

Reactions: navguy12
Looking at the actual recall here ls what I see.

1) it will affect all cars that autosteer (AP1 -> FSDb)
2) it's going to add more checks and nags
3) it will lock you out quicker if abused
4) it will still work on back roads
5) it will simplify engagement/disengagement. (I hope this means AP will auto resume after a lane change for us proles without EAP or FSD/b)

Looks like I’ll stick with software version 2023.38 for the foreseeable future…

I'd be careful with that. From the New Vehicle Limited Warranty:

You may void this New Vehicle Limited Warranty if you do not follow the specific instructions and recommendations regarding the use and operation of the vehicle provided in your owner documentation, including, but not limited to:

Installing the vehicle's software updates after notification that there is an update available

4) simplifying engagement/disengagement. (I hope this means AP will auto resume after a lane change for us proles without EAP or FSD/b)
It would be nice if a proper "resume" option existed for TACC even w/o autosteer. Classic Model S and X had this with the nubby AP stalk but the Model 3 (and Y) lack it.

Assuming that won't happen because TACC isn't the focus of this update.