Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My AliExpress cabin camera cover arrived today and it does the job well for the $3 or so I paid for it.
I’d think electrical tape would do the same? You could do a couple thousand Tesla’s with one $3 roll.
Next step will be figuring out how to remove the wifi module from the vehicle...
Don‘t know how that’s going to work out for you. Suspect you be like the guy who's running Windows 95 in 2023 2024. Of course, if you have an accident caused by running older version of auto pilot and purposely avoiding a fix. Well, you may get some lessons about the legal system.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: ph0ton
My AliExpress cabin camera cover arrived today and it does the job well for the $3 or so I paid for it. Next step will be figuring out how to remove the wifi module from the vehicle...
You could pull out the card from the MCU, but it also has the 4G, and GPS on it, so you'll lose those. Maybe try disconnecting the WIFI antenna on the card first and see if that impairs it enough.

My AliExpress cabin camera cover arrived today and it does the job well for the $3 or so I paid for it. Next step will be figuring out how to remove the wifi module from the vehicle...
What's the goal in removing the wifi module? The update can still download over LTE if it's urgent or enough time has passed. Also, for wifi, you can just delete all your wifi connections and turn if off, not sure what removing it will do.

You just need to be vigilant about not pressing to schedule button by accident (both on screen and on the app, as well as making sure any shared user does the same). There haven't been strong evidence that updates install by themselves.

What's the goal in removing the wifi module? The update can still download over LTE if it's urgent or enough time has passed. Also, for wifi, you can just delete all your wifi connections and turn if off, not sure what removing it will do.

You just need to be vigilant about not pressing to schedule button by accident (both on screen and on the app, as well as making sure any shared user does the same). There haven't been strong evidence that updates install by themselves.

I discovered the hard way a few days ago that the vehicle will automatically connect to wifi at some supercharger locations. Turning off the wifi in the setting is a temporary change and reverts back after parking. I had already deleted the existing wifi configs and blocked the MAC address at my home router, but this doesn't fix the supercharging issue.

Once the update downloads on its own, it is very easy to accidentally schedule or install it due to the incessant popups. I got around this issue by reinstalling the software via the service menu while the older version (2023.44.1) was still installed.

• Informative
Reactions: ph0ton

Exactly! Got the update notification 1 1/2 weeks ago. Today, Tesla pushed the update to both our vehicles via cellular.

• Disagree
Reactions: ph0ton and afadeev
Organized? By who?

Do you really believe that?
There are similar articles appearing all over the MSM but the above takes the cake. In almost each case the article is designed to spread FUD about Tesla and EVs in general. You just have to read the above article to see how it fits the pattern.

There's no doubt that widespread EV adoption is seen as a threat by the fossil fuel industry, and I'll leave it at that.
see:

at :050

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: afadeev
I read the article yesterday and it seems pretty typical of reviews of the latest software right here on TMC.

Everyone who owns a Tesla and uses AP knows that basic AP will drive through stop signs and red lights. The WP article states that AP somehow is designed to stop at controlled intersections but doesn't, Some quotes:

The two times Autosteer allowed my car to roll right through intersections with stop signs were especially nerve wracking. I could tell from icons on the car’s screen that it could see the sign, yet it did not disengage Autosteer or stop. After digging around Tesla’s website, I discovered that Tesla says obeying stop signs and stop lights is a function included for those who pay for Full Self-Driving. Should you really have to pay extra to keep the software your car comes with by default from doing reckless things?

I wasn’t able to discern what prompted the hands-on-the-wheel alerts I received. On roads with stop lights, I did sometimes get a warning ahead of the intersection — but usually just deactivated the software myself to stay safe. Ahead of the two stop signs the car ran through, one time I got a hands-on warning, and one time I did not.

Reactions: DrGriz
There are similar articles appearing all over the MSM but the above takes the cake. In almost each case the article is designed to spread FUD about Tesla and EVs in general. You just have to read the above article to see how it fits the pattern.

There's no doubt that widespread EV adoption is seen as a threat by the fossil fuel industry, and I'll leave it at that.
You’re saying fossil fuel industry had a meeting planing an attack on Tesla and the EV industry? Then convinced the media to help them in the attack ? The amazing part is the media has kept it a secret.

Maybe the story fits a pattern because it’s true?

Everyone who owns a Tesla and uses AP knows that basic AP will drive through stop signs and red lights. The WP article states that AP somehow is designed to stop at controlled intersections but doesn't, Some quotes:

Seems like the author discovered that the same way as all new users do. I don’t see anything nefarious about those quotes. The target audience is people who don’t own Teslas and are not familiar with how it operates, so that must be explained to the audience.

Seems like the author discovered that the same way as all new users do. I don’t see anything nefarious about those quotes. The target audience is people who don’t own Teslas and are not familiar with how it operates, so that must be explained to the audience.
But it's not explained to the audience and the author states:

Last weekend, my Tesla Model Y received an over-the-air update to make its driver-assistance software safer. In my first test drive of the updated Tesla, it blew through two stop signs without even slowing down.

Yet the author is not new to Tesla or AP! He should have stated right in the first sentence that basic AP, like any other makers adaptive cruise control, is not designed to stop at controlled intersections.

Yet the author is not new to Tesla or AP! He should have stated right in the first sentence that basic AP, like any other makers adaptive cruise control, is not designed to stop at controlled intersections.

He does go on to say, “After digging around Tesla’s website, I discovered that Tesla saysobeying stop signs and stop lights is a function included for those who pay for Full Self-Driving.”

So he specifically calls out the distinction you are asking for.

Most of the general public thinks Teslas are completely autonomous, so I don’t understand why you are so concerned about him not writing the article the way you want him to. He is calling out all the things he should, and clarifying for the reader the differences between the different versions of the software.

Basic AP does, indeed, drive through stop signs even though the visualization on the screen clearly recognizes them. This story is discussing the software version that was the result of a safety recall.

The author knew that AP rolls through stop signs and the slightest effort would have made it clear that nothing had changed with the update in that regard. He feigned surprise and, what's more, purposely let it roll through stop signs, which is a traffic violation. He even reported in his article that he was told by NHTSA that his test was essentially illegal.

He does go on to say, “After digging around Tesla’s website, I discovered that Tesla saysobeying stop signs and stop lights is a function included for those who pay for Full Self-Driving.”

So he specifically calls out the distinction you are asking for.

Most of the general public thinks Teslas are completely autonomous, so I don’t understand why you are so concerned about him not writing the article the way you want him to. He is calling out all the things he should, and clarifying for the reader the differences between the different versions of the software.

Basic AP does, indeed, drive through stop signs even though the visualization on the screen clearly recognizes them. This story is discussing the software version that was the result of a safety recall.
It doesn't matter what the general public thinks. What matters is that the article be truthful and factual.

The article is carefully written to imply that basic AP was/is designed to stop at controlled intersections, The author/driver owns his Tesla and knows what basic AP can and cannot do. Like every car owner he is responsible for it's safe operation and it is incumbent upon him to understand how his vehicle operates and to accurately report that information when writing articles for the general public.