Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If anyone knows why the discrepancy between the Teslafi "Software Updates" and "Software Update Feed" sections, I'd appreciate knowing. To me, it feels like tesla is doing stealth updates that are not significant enough to be tracked at a full software update.

What version does your car report from the "Software" screen in the car, or at the very bottom of the Tesla app home page?

If anyone knows why the discrepancy between the Teslafi "Software Updates" and "Software Update Feed" sections, I'd appreciate knowing. To me, it feels like tesla is doing stealth updates that are not significant enough to be tracked at a full software update.

I suspect, after some issues with the Tessie app, this is a breakdown in communication between Tesla's API and TeslaFi. APIs are not bulletproof.

Edit: Also, FWIW - I just signed up for TeslaFi and it's saying I installed 2023.44.1 today, which is not the case.
1703863302278.png

iPhones have (or had) a setting that will enable/disable automatic updates.

My iPhone will download updates and nag me, but I do not automatically update iOS or Apps. I got burned by a Cisco VPN AnyConnect update, and couldn't VPN anymore (or any of my colleagues, we were locked out because of a Cisco app update) - ever since then, I don't auto update my apps. As for iOS unless it's a critical vulnerability, I let major updates, i.e. iOS 16, 17, etc. get tested by the general public for a bit, then when the .1/.2 revisions are out - I'll update.

TeslaScope has a FREE software tracker for your car as well. While it does mean another 3rd party can access your car, which some people don't like, it appears to be a "safe" tracking option if you want a 2nd opinion. It does not work historically however - you have to signup ahead of time. You can always revoke by simply changing your Tesla password if you ever think it's problematic.

Teslafi likely assumed that the new software was installed when the update available flag was cleared in the vehicle state report without checking to see if the version field matched the previous update available field.

The normal sequence is the API sets the update available flag and sets the update version text to the new version number. This happens before the new software has been downloaded. Once the software is installed, the version text changes to the new version number and the update version field is set to null.

In your case, the sequence was aborted before the new software was installed (or even downloaded). This likely caused the update available flag and update version field to be cleared with no change to the version field. Teslafi might have had some poor code that assumed that once the version field has cleared, the new software has compelted the installation. This would normally be a good assumption, but not in the rare case where an update is pulled before it is installed.

What version does your car report from the "Software" screen in the car, or at the very bottom of the Tesla app home page?
2023.27.7 (11.4.7.3)

(BTW my TMC signature contains all that information since I find on TMC that people quite often are answering questions incorrectly because they don't have the full vehicle information from the OP. This is incredibly important when people answer confidently in the MY threads but happen to own an MS and don't realize there are significant differences in the vehicles.)

Reactions: navguy12
I suspect, after some issues with the Tessie app, this is a breakdown in communication between Tesla's API and TeslaFi. APIs are not bulletproof.
Fair enough!
Teslafi likely assumed that the new software was installed when the update available flag was cleared in the vehicle state report without checking to see if the version field matched the previous update available field.

The normal sequence is the API sets the update available flag and sets the update version text to the new version number. This happens before the new software has been downloaded. Once the software is installed, the version text changes to the new version number and the update version field is set to null.

In your case, the sequence was aborted before the new software was installed (or even downloaded). This likely caused the update available flag and update version field to be cleared with no change to the version field. Teslafi might have had some poor code that assumed that once the version field has cleared, the new software has compelted the installation. This would normally be a good assumption, but not in the rare case where an update is pulled before it is installed.

Thanks guys, now I think I have an understanding of what is happening. In a way it is odd that Teslafi offers the two logs, especially since the second can be inaccurate (or confusing). On the other hand, tesla owners normally see more data as the desired state.

Supcom: I bolded your "in the rare case where an update is pulled before it is installed" because I suspect that explains what happened over the summer with 2023.7.20 and .30. They were two different versions of FSDb (and the former was problematic for many people) so pulling the update from my car the day it offered me .30 makes sense. I'm guessing that we all knew the December updates were pulled from cars because we were all watching for it, but this behaviour is not exceptional and has happened in the past. It is just that people weren't paying close attention.

OOOH! and this explains why teslafi showed an install happening while the car was being used! The car was awake and out of the underground garage so solid LTE was available which could explain why tesla chose that moment to pull the offer of an update from my car. The only question is why my husband didn't notice the offer of the update. Although I should be pleased because I had specifically told him we were not to download over wifi any update that comes available - which reminds me I need to delete our friend's wifi login from the car before we go away on the weekend.

I can't edit so:

Ignore post #785 in this thread

I've learned what Teslafi was trying to tell me and my signature remains correct, nothing was pushed and installed to my car.

So I continue this experiment, avoiding accidentally connecting to Wifi and seeing how long it will take for tesla to push the download to me over LTE and if it will force install at the same time.

Although I should be pleased because I had specifically told him we were not to download over wifi any update that comes available
Smart move.

While detailing my TM3 in the no-wifi-available parking garage this morning, I tethered the car to my phone as I saw another “update is available“ icon in the upper right corner of the UI.

I missed the precautionary text saying I’m at 90% of my data as well as the “you have exceeded 100% of your data” text.

Turns out it’s another nav update (second one this month); the $25 per gigabit overage surcharge will go up on my TM3 total operating costs spreadsheet as an operating cost, “data”. Sigh.

I missed the precautionary text saying I’m at 90% of my data as well as the “you have exceeded 100% of your data” text.

Turns out it’s another nav update (second one this month); the $25 per gigabit overage surcharge will go up on my TM3 total operating costs spreadsheet as an operating cost, “data”. Sigh.
OMG, I, too, learned the hard way that NAV updates are the big data ones. In my case, I had enough data (it was an annual data prepurchase cuz I'm on prepaid) but it hit my personally set data warning for the month first (and required an OK to proceed) so sat there for a while until I noticed. It stopped the second time when it hit my personal data cap for the month, but by then I was paying closer attention so it only held me up by a couple of minutes (the first time it was over 10 minutes of no progress on the download.)

The tesla ownership is what pushed me off my dirt cheap $15 a month cell phone with 250mB of data a month to 60GB prepaid for the year. I've stuck with prepaid because it gives me pay as I go roaming in the US (with the US minutes/texts/data I buy and that don't expire.)

OMG, I, too, learned the hard way that NAV updates are the big data ones. In my case, I had enough data (it was an annual data prepurchase cuz I'm on prepaid) but it hit my personally set data warning for the month first (and required an OK to proceed) so sat there for a while until I noticed. It stopped the second time when it hit my personal data cap for the month, but by then I was paying closer attention so it only held me up by a couple of minutes (the first time it was over 10 minutes of no progress on the download.)

The tesla ownership is what pushed me off my dirt cheap $15 a month cell phone with 250mB of data a month to 60GB prepaid for the year. I've stuck with prepaid because it gives me pay as I go roaming in the US (with the US minutes/texts/data I buy and that don't expire.)
Are there any chain coffee shops or stores that offer patrons free WiFi? Might be a good alternative to blowing out your month‘s data plan, that is if you get close to 60 gigs.

Are there any chain coffee shops or stores that offer patrons free WiFi? Might be a good alternative to blowing out your month‘s data plan, that is if you get close to 60 gigs.
We usually use the tesla guest wifi at the SC. But lately the updates are sucky and it takes a minimum of 90 minutes to drive to the nearest SC, download, and drive home. So, when I know it isn't too large an update (thanks to crowd sourced info because tesla certainly can't be bothered to share that information with the owners), or I'm really tight on time, I move our car above ground and do the download via hot spot. That means I can lock the car with my phone in it and go back to the apartment until my husband gets the download done notification. Same for installs (which I like to do above ground in case the car needs towing after.)

I've never tried to connect a Tesla to a public WiFi system, but are there problems doing so when there is a sign-on web page required? Does the car bring that up in the web browser?
Just like signing into your home Wi-Fi system.

Just find the public WAP, it will prompt you for the rest. Look for a SSID called public or guest. If they know what they are doing it won’t need a password. Most likely it will want your cell phone number.

• Helpful
One can drive to the local Tesla SC and use their free wifi, which I have done a few times this year.

But most times I don’t want to drive the 17 minutes to that facility because the final one km long access road to that facility also is the main feeder road for a huge gravel pit…and any moisture turns that section of road into mud bogging.