Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think they are starting to do that. Isn't there a requirement coming up that all new vehicles will have to monitor for drowsy drivers and alert them? (Maybe it was just suggested.)

I know they were also trying to get it enacted that all cars would have to monitor for impaired, i.e. drunk/high, drivers, but again I don't know if that passed or not.
I wouldn't be surprised. Humans are such outstanding drivers, to the tune of 42,000 dead in the US, per year in car crashes.

Reactions: JB47394
What drives more social media hits, stating that the AP recall is no big deal or stating that Tesla and NHTSA have ruined it?

X is the Chicken Little platform.
I was just talking to a younger friend about that. He sells Fords and is generally more open-minded than my dad, for example. He doesn't mind EVs and was expressing his frustration over being unable to sell any Mach-Es and hearing the incessant stream of depressing, frustrating, and discouraging objections from anti-EV shoppers.

The only information people without first-hand EV experience have is what they see on TV, read in the paper, and hear on the radio.

I asked him when is the last time he saw in the headlines, "Family successfully drives EV from New York to California while stopping for 15 minutes to pee and charge every 200 miles without incident". Never.

People may say they want to hear "good news stories", but what actually gets their attention are murders, hurricanes, wars, political mudslinging, celebrity gossip...and how awful EVs are.

The success stories about EVs (which greatly outnumber failures) are never on the news - at best, they'll be in groups and forums like this one, which are mostly echo chambers.

If EVs were are bad as the news says they are, Tesla would never have sold their first one and no other automaker would be selling them, either. They may even be illegal if they actually drove people off cliffs and were guaranteed to explode in your garage and would increase global warming.

You have to pay more attention when using driving automation to protect Tesla from liability, even though you still assume full liability. #logic.

If the world wasn't upside down, they'd demand the attention features when autopilot is OFF.
I think they are starting to do that. Isn't there a requirement coming up that all new vehicles will have to monitor for drowsy drivers and alert them? (Maybe it was just suggested.)

I know they were also trying to get it enacted that all cars would have to monitor for impaired, i.e. drunk/high, drivers, but again I don't know if that passed or not.
Yep, NHTSA is working on drunk driver interlock requirements for all new vehicles.

Tesla's nags are child's play compared to that. Be careful what you wish for.

I was just talking to a younger friend about that. He sells Fords and is generally more open-minded than my dad, for example. He doesn't mind EVs and was expressing his frustration over being unable to sell any Mach-Es and hearing the incessant stream of depressing, frustrating, and discouraging objections from anti-EV shoppers.

The only information people without first-hand EV experience have is what they see on TV, read in the paper, and hear on the radio.

I asked him when is the last time he saw in the headlines, "Family successfully drives EV from New York to California while stopping for 15 minutes to pee and charge every 200 miles without incident". Never.

People may say they want to hear "good news stories", but what actually gets their attention are murders, hurricanes, wars, political mudslinging, celebrity gossip...and how awful EVs are.

The success stories about EVs (which greatly outnumber failures) are never on the news - at best, they'll be in groups and forums like this one, which are mostly echo chambers.

If EVs were are bad as the news says they are, Tesla would never have sold their first one and no other automaker would be selling them, either. They may even be illegal if they actually drove people off cliffs and were guaranteed to explode in your garage and would increase global warming.

Humans have a built in negative bias. We tend to notice negative things more than positive. There is a reason for this, in a survival situation there is more danger in missing the sabre toothed tiger lurking in the bushes than missing a morsel of food.

Reactions: zroger73
I wouldn't be surprised. Humans are such outstanding drivers, to the tune of 42,000 dead in the US, per year in car crashes.
Agree, Tesla doesn’t need to fix the cars, they need to fix the drivers.

Since that’s impossible, limit Lane Assist thru FSD to highways and 90% of the problems would go away. Seems like it would be a very simple software patch.

I also think there should be mandatory on-line training before the AP features are activated.

Reactions: navguy12
Agree, Tesla doesn’t need to fix the cars, they need to fix the drivers.

Since that’s impossible, limit Lane Assist thru FSD to highways and 90% of the problems would go away. Seems like it would be a very simple software patch.
That's like using a nuke to kill a fly. I think the current approach (better attention detection) is fine and it leaves the feature useful for those that use it responsibly.
This is not to mention FSD Beta is specifically designed for off highway usage anyways.
I also think there should be mandatory on-line training before the AP features are activated.
I would agree, but I doubt its usefulness in actually preventing serious accidents. The ones that get into them tend to be people fully aware of the system's limitations, so it's not a matter of education about the limitations. That training will help new users, but I have yet to see them get into serious accidents, given they tend to be naturally untrusting of the system.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz and navguy12

February 2, 2024​

Tesla recalling another 2.2 million vehicles for warning lights that are too small​

New YorkCNN —
Tesla is recalling 2.2 million of its vehicles on US roads because the font size of the warning lights on its display is too small, according to federal safety regulators.

The recall was announced by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, which said it discovered the problem during a routine audit of Tesla vehicles.

“Warning lights with a smaller font size can make critical safety information on the instrument panel difficult to read, increasing the risk of a crash,” according to the agency’s notice.

Tesla said it is not aware of any crashes or injuries caused by the problem.

The problem will be fixed with an over-the-air software update that will not require Tesla owners to bring their vehicles into a Tesla service center.

Tesla recalling another 2.2 million vehicles for warning lights that are too small​

On Twitter Teslascope claimed that this recall is because the standards changed for how warning lights should be displayed & since Tesla has a fully customizable screen dash they can do a recall to update the warning lights to the new standards. I do not know if Teslascope has verified their claim that this is due to a new standard versus Tesla failing to comply with old standards.

On Twitter Teslascope claimed that this recall is because the standards changed for how warning lights should be displayed & since Tesla has a fully customizable screen dash they can do a recall to update the warning lights to the new standards. I do not know if Teslascope has verified their claim that this is due to a new standard versus Tesla failing to comply with old standards.
I hadn’t seen that, thanks.

The recall covers most but not all Teslas on US roads. The models that are covered include the newly released Cybertruck pickup, the Model X and Model Y SUV up to and including the current 2024 model year, and the Model S and Model 3 sedan up to and including the 2023 model year.

• Informative
Reactions: navguy12
I hadn’t seen that, thanks.

The recall covers most but not all Teslas on US roads. The models that are covered include the newly released Cybertruck pickup, the Model X and Model Y SUV up to and including the current 2024 model year, and the Model S and Model 3 sedan up to and including the 2023 model year.
What Tesla on the road in the US does it not cover? (Well besides the original Roadster...)

The subject population includes all delivered Model Year (MY) 2012-2023 Model S, MY 2016-2024 Model X, MY 2017-2023 Model 3, and MY 2019-2024 Model Y vehicles that are or were operating a software release through 2023.44.30.9, and all MY 2024 Cybertruck vehicles that are or were operating a software release through 2023.44.9.1.

I don't think 2024 Model 3/S are included because they didn't deliver any by the time the recall was announced.

From that document:

"The remedy increases the letter font size of the Brake, Park and Antilock brake system(ABS) visual warning indicators to be not less than 3.2 mm (1/8 inch)"
The "remedy" actually eliminated the icons for Park, Brake warning and ABS warning. Now, those indicators consist only of text lettering with no international/universal icon symbol. Because the area devoted to the entire symbol wasn't big enough to accommodate both the icon and the text title, without making the text very small.

IMO, the core problem of too-small and too-subtle indicators in the UI has not actually been remedied by this compliance change.

Thanks to @willow_hiller for posting this useful comparison:
1706899998555.png

That's it.
The "remedy" actually eliminated the icons for Park, Brake warning and ABS warning. Now, those indicators consist only of text lettering with no international/universal icon symbol. Because the area devoted to the entire symbol wasn't big enough to accommodate both the icon and the text title, without making the text very small.

IMO, the core problem of too-small and too-subtle indicators in the UI has not actually been remedied by this compliance change.

Thanks to @willow_hiller for posting this useful comparison:
View attachment 1014743
On the last several Hondas I owned, the indicators were words only on US models and symbols only on Canadian models.

1706901990268.png