Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Update on my waiting for tesla to send me the update via LTE.

Got an email this morning saying I need to update:

"If your vehicle is not running one of these software versions, then please accept the latest pending software update for installation by tapping the yellow clock icon at the top of your vehicle’s touchscreen and following the prompts. For awareness, software updates typically take 20 to 60 minutes to complete."

No mention on what they will do if I continue to be unwilling to drive to an SC (40 minutes round trip) and park and wait the 20 - 60 minutes for the download/update. Don't bother telling me to use McDonalds. I have never been able to get my car to connect to any commercial wifi like that and my local McD's (or any place with complementary customer wifi) is at least 10 minutes away, so I may as well go to the SC because that is a guarantee connect and reasonably high download speed. Besides, do I really want to hang out at a McDonalds for an hour?

No mention of if their use of the term 'update' time means the time to download and install, just download, or just install time.

No mention of the size of the download (so I could estimate if I can do this using my limited personal cell data.)

No mention if this is a two-part update.

Please note, the only updates that have only taken 20 minutes to download and update are the ones to the games that follow on a much longer update. And those are really annoying because I drive to the SC, download and update (usually for about a combined 40 - 60 minutes for both steps) and then 5 minutes into my drive home the download icon reappears letting me know that I have to turn the car around and go back to pick up part 2 of the update. These two parters aren't mentioned by you guys because you probably don't even notice them when you have wifi available at home. The second part downloads and updates in one step, so no action for the second part is required by you. If you are set up to automatically download updates, and clicked install from the app on part one, then the second part downloads and installs without you being aware. I, on the other hand, am painfully aware.

So I'll continue to wait and see what tesla plans to do for those of us without easy access to wifi. They've updated me in the past via LTE so I fully expect them to do so again. They know my car doesn't have access to wiif (from my download records and the fact that they don't get much data from it.) The ball is still in their court but I suspect the fact they targeted me with an email means they are getting closer to sending me the update.

Don't bother telling me to use McDonalds. I have never been able to get my car to connect to any commercial wifi like that ...

If you don't want to use cellular data, on some cellphones you can connect the cellphone to the wifi and then share that wifi connection using the phone's hotspot.

I believe iPhones can do it, and some Android phones as well. (I have a Samsung A13, and that doesn't do it. It turns off the wifi when you enable the hotspot.)

• Helpful
Reactions: JB47394
If you don't want to use cellular data, on some cellphones you can connect the cellphone to the wifi and then share that wifi connection using the phone's hotspot.

I believe iPhones can do it, and some Android phones as well. (I have a Samsung A13, and that doesn't do it. It turns off the wifi when you enable the hotspot.)
My phone can't do it. I didn't realize any could since I thought it could only hotspot cell data, not pass through wifi due to hardware limitations on the antenna.

Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
My phone can't do it. I didn't realize any could since I thought it could only hotspot cell data, not pass through wifi due to hardware limitations on the antenna.
OK.

I think those that do either have multiple antennas or good enough software and hardware to handle multiple wifi networks. Was worth checking.

Other solutions would involve a portable router. If it's a recall, they'll eventually have to cave and send it over cellular.

"If your vehicle is not running one of these software versions, then please accept the latest pending software update for installation by tapping the yellow clock icon at the top of your vehicle’s touchscreen and following the prompts. For awareness, software updates typically take 20 to 60 minutes to complete."

No mention on what they will do if I continue to be unwilling to drive to an SC (40 minutes round trip) and park and wait the 20 - 60 minutes for the download/update. Don't bother telling me to use McDonalds. I have never been able to get my car to connect to any commercial wifi like that and my local McD's (or any place with complementary customer wifi) is at least 10 minutes away, so I may as well go to the SC because that is a guarantee connect and reasonably high download speed. Besides, do I really want to hang out at a McDonalds for an hour?

No mention of if their use of the term 'update' time means the time to download and install, just download, or just install time.

No mention of the size of the download (so I could estimate if I can do this using my limited personal cell data.)

Please note, the only updates that have only taken 20 minutes to download and update are the ones to the games that follow on a much longer update. And those are really annoying because I drive to the SC, download and update (usually for about a combined 40 - 60 minutes for both steps) and then 5 minutes into my drive home the download icon reappears letting me know that I have to turn the car around and go back to pick up part 2 of the update. These two parters aren't mentioned by you guys because you probably don't even notice them when you have wifi available at home. The second part downloads and updates in one step, so no action for the second part is required by you. If you are set up to automatically download updates, and clicked install from the app on part one, then the second part downloads and installs without you being aware. I, on the other hand, am painfully aware.

So I'll continue to wait and see what tesla plans to do for those of us without easy access to wifi. They've updated me in the past via LTE so I fully expect them to do so again. They know my car doesn't have access to wiif (from my download records and the fact that they don't get much data from it.) The ball is still in their court but I suspect the fact they targeted me with an email means they are getting closer to sending me the update.

Don't you have internet connection at home?

OK.

I think those that do either have multiple antennas or good enough software and hardware to handle multiple wifi networks. Was worth checking.
Android supports this function. If your phone has support, it is under Network & Internet, Tethering, Mobile Hotspot, then enable Wi-Fi Sharing. My LG V40 support this, but YMMV depending on which phone you have.
Other solutions would involve a portable router. If it's a recall, they'll eventually have to cave and send it over cellular.
Yeah, any 5GHz router that can install Open WRT can do it. Just connect the router as a client on one band (5GHz or 2.4 GHz) and the car or other devices can connect to the router on the other band. Some devices even allow connecting on the same band (probably multiple antennas per band as you say). Some also have a USB port to support USB tethering or a USB LTE adapter.

I'm currently using a USB powered TP-Link TL-WR902AC travel router to do this, connecting to xfinitywifi hotspots (which is free and plentiful if you have Xfinity service at your home or business or you can also pay per use if you don't), then my security cameras in my car can connect to that. The same thing can easily be used to bridge the car. This works because Xfinity uses Mac address based authorization, so it sees the router's Mac address when you log into the captive portal with your cellphone connected to the router, and subsequent devices no longer need to use the captive portal. For captive portals that work based on cookies (I'm not sure any exist given AFAIK, Mac address whitelisting is the common method, but there's a possibility), it might not work though.

20-60 mins is for the install. If the update is really important to Tesla they’ll send it via LTE. If it’s important to you then it seems like you already know how to do the Service Center drive for it. Are there any superchargers near you with Tesla wifi? Perhaps that could be a closer option. For public wifi any network that has a pop up to access where you have to accept terms or put in your email or something will not work with the Tesla. It would have to be a network with a password or password free but no pop up.

Reactions: zoomer0056
I really hope they don't force this update via LTE. If they force the update one me, my next vehicle will be a used Toyota with full OpenPilot support...
It is a double edged sword. There are two updates that will include recalls. One is semi important because people abuse AP due to tesla's design choices and impressions given by tesla and others that are not true to the documentation and one is silly (and to be honest, I personally believe the current icons are more understandable than the official ones we'll be forced by NHTSA to adopt.)

The fact that these recalls can be delivered by an OTA update is a plus so I don't mind them being forced.

On the other hand, I shared your misunderstanding of what OTA updates would do TO my car. I honestly thought it would only improve it, and didn't realize that it allowed tesla to remove paid-for features (the function of my radar), and UI changes would make the car more difficult to use. I'm not just during the learning period for UI changes, but permanent changes to the UI that removed the mic icon that the front passenger could use to access voice command. As well, the limitations on having safe driving elements (wipers, defrost) removed from the home screen and then returned in a more limited fashion and the repeated reworking of the audio entertainment system that means having to relearn that UI for that part of the overall UI and changing the steps to access the different streams since I'm limited in the number of options I can have on the home page (and lose some of them to things like defrost.) Thankfully, up until now, they have allowed the left scroll wheel button to remain on/off and volume. That physical button is the only thing that has not changed on the audio system since I got the car.

Tech CEO calls for Tesla boycott over self-driving capabilities in Super Bowl ad campaign

New York
CNN

Tech entrepreneur Dan O’Dowd, a fierce critic of Tesla, isn’t pumping the brakes on his campaign against the automaker’s self-driving software.

O’Dowd’s “The Dawn Project,” which says it wants to make software systems safer for humanity, is airing two ads during the Super Bowl calling on consumers to boycott the electric automaker’s products and stock after running a similar campaign during last year’s Super Bowl.

“Buying either puts money in (Tesla founder) Elon (Musk’s) pocket and funds his dangerous self-driving experiments,” a spokesperson for the Dawn Project told CNN on Sunday.

Tech CEO calls for Tesla boycott over self-driving capabilities in Super Bowl ad campaign

New York
CNN

Tech entrepreneur Dan O’Dowd, a fierce critic of Tesla, isn’t pumping the brakes on his campaign against the automaker’s self-driving software.

O’Dowd’s “The Dawn Project,” which says it wants to make software systems safer for humanity, is airing two ads during the Super Bowl calling on consumers to boycott the electric automaker’s products and stock after running a similar campaign during last year’s Super Bowl.

“Buying either puts money in (Tesla founder) Elon (Musk’s) pocket and funds his dangerous self-driving experiments,” a spokesperson for the Dawn Project told CNN on Sunday.
Two superbowl ads. Someone's worried about FSD V12.

I didn't see it air in my area. I kept waiting to see it for a good laugh, but it never showed up. 😂
Same.

If it did air and I missed it or it aired on providers other than the one I was watching, I'm sure I'll hear about it in the coming days and, yet again, I'll have to explain the situation. Correcting misinformation about EVs - particularly as an EV owner - admittedly gets tiring.

Reactions: navguy12 and DrGriz
Same.

If it did air and I missed it or it aired on providers other than the one I was watching, I'm sure I'll hear about it in the coming days and, yet again, I'll have to explain the situation. Correcting misinformation about EVs - particularly as an EV owner - admittedly gets tiring.
It aired during the Super Bowl alright, you missed it because you weren’t watching the quilting channel.

• Funny
Reactions: navguy12