Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recalls 2 million vehicles to limit use of Autopilot

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Received the physical recall letter for MX '17 yesterday and under the "What You Should Do" section it says - "At this time, there is no action you need to take. The firmware remedy is not yet available. When the remedy is available, it will be deployed OTA to your vehicle, and we will notify you."

I'll probably continue to avoid any updates, but I was surprised to read the remedy actually wasn't available yet for car.

Received the physical recall letter for MX '17 yesterday and under the "What You Should Do" section it says - "At this time, there is no action you need to take. The firmware remedy is not yet available. When the remedy is available, it will be deployed OTA to your vehicle, and we will notify you."

I'll probably continue to avoid any updates, but I was surprised to read the remedy actually wasn't available yet for car.
So far I’ve been able to avoid updates by not installing them after they’ve downloaded to my car. I wonder if that’ll remain the case for a mandatory recall update?

Just received my letter. Unopened, I put it in a document safe cellophane protector for posterity. I look forward to all updates to my 2022 MSLR.

Reactions: Z_Lynx
I wonder if that’ll remain the case for a mandatory recall update?
I believe the "mandatory" aspect of it applies to the manufacturer, not the owner. The manufacturer is obliged to "repair" any qualifying car that requests it. For a recall that can be implemented as an OTA update, they just need to offer the download. These recall letters are only to notify the owners that they have a flawed vehicle and what they can do about it.

Unfortunately for you, there's no way to get the recall applied without inheriting everything else in the download.

1. If a vehicle owner ignores a recall, they can be held liable for injuries or damages that result from the issue that the recall was intended to correct. Let's say you have a Chevrolet Bolt with a recall that was issued to address a problem with the battery catching fire. If you ignore that recall because you don't want to deal with it for whatever reason and the problem occurs resulting in your house burning to the ground, your insurance company can sue you for negligence. "You were told that this could happen and Chevrolet contacted you by email, phone, and letter telling you to bring in your vehicle for a free battery replacement because it could catch fire, but you failed to do this."

2. Until a recall is performed (whether it requires physical work or a software update), the recall will remain "open" for that VIN in the manufacturer's and NHTSA's databases. In some places, you cannot renew a vehicle's registration on a vehicle with an open recall. I am a former Honda Ridgeline owner. There was a recall a few years ago for the tonneau cover, which could become detached and fly off the vehicle. The vehicles did not come with a tonneau cover from the factory, but one could be purchased from the dealer as an accessory. Because a VIN is not required to purchase this accessory, there was no way of knowing which Ridgelines had the defective tonneau cover or not, so the recall required all Ridgeline owners to bring their vehicles to a dealer for inspection. If the vehicle had a tonneau cover, it was modified and the recall was closed. If the vehicle did not have a tonneau cover, the recall was closed. A few Ridgeline owners without tonneau covers intially refused to take the time to drive to a dealer to have the recall cleared and ended up being unable to renew their vehicle's registrations. They called their dealers and asked them to close the recall because they didn't have a tonneau cover, but dealers rightfully refused because of obvious liability reasons. The owners ended up having to show their dealers they didn't have a tonneau cover before they could close the recall and renew their registration.

In some places, you cannot renew a vehicle's registration on a vehicle with an open recall.
Do you know which states have this rule? (The federal RECALL Act never passed, so it isn't universal.) I looked a little and only found that California requires emissions related recalls to be complete to be able to renew the registration. (I know they are not required to be completed in Oregon.)

Do you know which states have this rule? (The federal RECALL Act never passed, so it isn't universal.) I looked a little and only found that California requires emissions related recalls to be complete to be able to renew the registration. (I know they are not required to be completed in Oregon.)
Someone made a similar claim about dieselgate for California, but some digging showed actually that recall was not mandatory (there were separate non-dieselgate mandatory recalls for emissions related issues such as a “snowflap”, Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) heater, or Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) catalyst) and some notices were sent in error to dieselgate owners.

I'm also curious which state this refers to.

Do you have MCU1 or MCU2? I wonder if that will affect the software update version that includes the recall.
In some places, you cannot renew a vehicle's registration on a vehicle with an open recall.
I’d also like to know where this is true.

Reactions: MP3Mike
I misspoke about this - it only applies to emissions-related recalls, which, of course, don't apply to EVs.

"Trust, but verify." Haha! :D
I dug around prior to you posting and I think I found the post/thread you were referring to. The poster was in California. I think because in the past he got a registration hold on a previous emissions related recall, he assumed this one would also put a hold.

However, as pointed out, it would not have, given California does not do so for non-emissions recalls (and sometimes not even for emissions issues, for example, the dieselgate cars were not given a registration hold).

And to elaborate, for people that don't live in the California, there is an annual smog test required for registration. There however are exemptions, one of which is a new gas vehicle less than eight years old (EVs are automatically exempt regardless of age for obvious reasons). The reason why certain emissions related recalls generate a registration hold is because it would have made the car fail a smog test even brand new, so the base assumption for that 8 year exemption would be invalidated.

Unlike other states, California does not have an annual safety inspection required. You can have a car with failed brakes, broken lights, rusted out frame and suspension and that would not prevent you from getting your registration renewed.

So, it didn't apply to the Ridgeline owners with the tonneau cover recall, and there was some other reason they couldn't renew their registration?
See above. They basically had a registration hold in the past for a recall (given California, it would have been emissions related) and they just assumed the tonneau cover recall would be the same. They never said they got a hold for the tonneau cover issue, they cleared the recall with the dealer before that could possibly happen.

Last edited:
Unlike other states, California does not have an annual safety inspection required. You can have a car with failed brakes, broken lights, rusted out frame and suspension and that would not prevent you from getting your registration renewed.

To be fair the only cars in California that have any serious rust problems are brought in from states that salt their roads. Even the parts of California that get snow (the state does have a lot of mountains), they use sand, not salt on the roads. When I lived there less than a mile from the ocean I did get rust where the paint had chipped from the sea air, but it didn't affect anything structural.

Safety inspections are not a thing in the western US, except Hawaii.
Vehicle inspections by state what to know

Washington had emissions testing every other year for cars under 25 years of age in the more populated counties, then they got rid of it for cars made after 2009 or something like that. In 2020 they shut down the program entirely. I had a 1992 car for 24 years and had to do the emissions testing through all that time, but I sold it right before testing became exempt because of age.