Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 20,000 km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Kind of weird for different pricing at different locations. Work is the same - fishy dealer network employees can't get rid of their old habits?
I was at the Mississauga SC today and I specifically asked for the cost of the cleaning and lubricating. He said it was $189 (not sure if that was pre or post tax dollars).

I told him there have been reports that members here are being charged $175 per axle and he said "that is just wrong". I pressed him on it and he said that they NEVER charge per axle. He then asked me if I wanted to do mine there... to which I said, "only if you match Kal-Tire's price" - lol ... to which he declined.

In any event, I had a bunch of routine service I had to do and walked out of there almost $800 lighter in the pocket (Hepa filter, AC dessicant bag, Air filter, etc.... - the HEPA filter alone was $295).

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I was at the Mississauga SC today and I specifically asked for the cost of the cleaning and lubricating. He said it was $189 (not sure if that was pre or post tax dollars).

I told him there have been reports that members here are being charged $175 per axle and he said "that is just wrong". I pressed him on it and he said that they NEVER charge per axle. He then asked me if I wanted to do mine there... to which I said, "only if you match Kal-Tire's price" - lol ... to which he declined.

In any event, I had a bunch of routine service I had to do and walked out of there almost $800 lighter in the pocket (Hepa filter, AC dessicant bag, Air filter, etc.... - the HEPA filter alone was $295).

So this is a service that can be done elsewhere than Tesla?

Oh, sorry I thought you were referring to the brake job specifically. No parts should be required for that.

Also for the filters and stuff, you can definitely buy them from Tesla.

Normally no parts are needed, but you never know. i don't want to have my car on a lift only to be told they will have to tow it to the Tesla service center because Tesla won't sell them a part needed.

Goodwill should be a two way street. I'm not sure charging 3x the market rate (and in some cases where the people were billed for two axles) 7x the market rate, is goodwill on their part.

Tesla's labour rate is no worse than its competition selling and servicing similarly priced premium brands, namely Mercedes-Benz, BMW, etc. Try taking a smart EV to a M-B service center for a brake lube job, and the charge will be in the $350 plus range (as discovered by someone I know), not the $175 at Tesla, where you get your car serviced in a fumes-free non-stinking emissions-free environment as you wait for your car.

Tesla's labour rate is no worse than its competition selling and servicing similarly priced premium brands, namely Mercedes-Benz, BMW, etc. Try taking a smart EV to a M-B service center for a brake lube job, and the charge will be in the $350 plus range (as discovered by someone I know), not the $175 at Tesla, where you get your car serviced in a fumes-free non-stinking emissions-free environment as you wait for your car.
If the starting point the way the old guard has done things for years, how about changing the starting point?

I wanted to post here again because I got the old bait and switch at Kal Tire yesterday and because I was critical of Tesla’s pricing here, it would only be fair to correct my post. I had the brake service done at Kal Tire in the past and paid $55 + HST. I store my tires there so I do it on the winter change. The Kipling location seems to be under new management and boy was yesterday a mess. They got so many things wrong, it’s a whole other thread but suffice it to say they also now charge $53 PER AXLE for the brake service (even though they quoted me $55 for all four and have done it at that price in the past). Tesla quoted me $189.

I didn’t end up doing it yesterday for a variety of reasons. I am actively looking for a new place to do my tire storage.

I wanted to post here again because I got the old bait and switch at Kal Tire yesterday and because I was critical of Tesla’s pricing here, it would only be fair to correct my post. I had the brake service done at Kal Tire in the past and paid $55 + HST. I store my tires there so I do it on the winter change. The Kipling location seems to be under new management and boy was yesterday a mess. They got so many things wrong, it’s a whole other thread but suffice it to say they also now charge $53 PER AXLE for the brake service (even though they quoted me $55 for all four and have done it at that price in the past). Tesla quoted me $189.

I didn’t end up doing it yesterday for a variety of reasons. I am actively looking for a new place to do my tire storage.

The $175 at Tesla is for Model 3. You were quoted $189 for your Model S. Different models - maybe different procedure?