Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 20,000 km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
oldest one going on 3 years. The worst case scenario is the caliper will cease and require a more expensive service to replace. I don't know much about cars but don't you eventually need to replace calipers anyway at a certain point?
Ceased calipers are generally from contaminated/aging brake fluid. Not generally from road salt related corrosion.

Things like pins and sliders are mostly affected by salt and corrosion.

Reactions: GtiMart
My right rear parking brake on the Model S was causing all kinds of error codes. I then had no summon, no braking/hill hold, and limited park brake function availble only on the right. Lucky the park brake only locked up twice and I was able to release it by shifting in and out of PARK. I had repacked last year and nothing was seized from the elements.
Took off the electric motor to find the connector loaded with wet sand and the gasket seal area on the motor housing corroded. This is not a user serviceable part as the motor is pressed together and the electrical connections are spot soldered together.
Cleaned up, soldered, sealed with silicon grease, then reassembled and tested. Seems it may have just been a connector issue. Been working fine every since. Bad design as water a crud will sit on the seam and eventually ingress past the gasket.
Now Tesla won't take back the new one I bought over the counter. Just the fact that they even had one in stock means this is a common problem for a model S/X.

Attachments

• 20221211_114532.jpg
    20221211_114532.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 20221211_123515.jpg
    20221211_123515.jpg
    368 KB · Views: 85
  • 20221211_123542.jpg
    20221211_123542.jpg
    292.3 KB · Views: 91
  • 20221211_123710.jpg
    20221211_123710.jpg
    315.1 KB · Views: 86
  • 20221211_150710.jpg
    20221211_150710.jpg
    327 KB · Views: 85
  • Informative
Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Rich rebuilds just did a video on this. I'll probably do this myself when I swap the winter tires over. Unless it's a reasonable amount thru tesla. So if anyone gets pricing post it here....

I just got a $152.08 quote from Tesla (they come to me I live in NY). then I spoke an authorized repair center and they told me if its bot squeaking no need to!.

I just got a $152.08 quote from Tesla (they come to me I live in NY). then I spoke an authorized repair center and they told me if its bot squeaking no need to!.
That is an OK price. $110 for my local mech to do it on our 2nd Gen Volt.
I'd say if it is squeaking then it is too late. Waited too long and had to get from rotors replace since they were not sliding easily on the pins. You can hear mine "grind" just a little as I back out of our garage and brake after driving in the rain or snow ... since they rust a little and are not warm when I pull in (regen keeps them cool since they are not physically braking much).

Hi, looking for a mechanic recommendation around Toronto to service the brakes (clean & lube) on my MYP. I reached out to Tesla and they quoted me $306+tax which seems outrageous (This was the Railside Dr location).
That price is absurd. They really weren’t kidding around when they said they will start making service and Superchargers a profit center.

Reactions: hydro
That price is absurd. They really weren’t kidding around when they said they will start making service and Superchargers a profit center.
Tesla suggests to do this annually. $306 annually to clean/lube your brakes. Oil changes don’t sound so expensive anymore. 🤔

They used to charge $175 for this service and they would come to you. And they would swap your tires at the same time for free. Times have changed!

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
Tesla suggests to do this annually. $306 annually to clean/lube your brakes. Oil changes don’t sound so expensive anymore. 🤔

They used to charge $175 for this service and they would come to you. And they would swap your tires at the same time for free. Times have changed!
They charge a high price for things they don’t particularly want to do. You’re paying for the convenience of doing it with them.

There is nothing special about Tesla brakes (or wheels, or wipers etc) - just go to any shop that does brakes. Even better, if you change over to winter wheels, get it done then. Best of all, DIY when you change wheels - it takes 5 mins per wheel to do this yourself, at home. Save time and money.

You are over estimating the ability of many. Last year I was in an auto glass shop. 3 young adults walked in and asked to buy wipers for their Honda. They also asked for someone to install them as none had a clue. Oh My!
LOL. Just giving options. Main one for the non-handy who don’t like Tesla rates is go try any of the many many places around you that do brakes.

Reactions: Bytor
just go to any shop that does brakes
With the caveat that the shop knows the specifics of servicing Tesla brakes. The brakes themselves are pretty standard but you have to consider:
  • Raising the car using the proper jack points (and pucks if necessary).
  • Having a socket for the kind of uncommon 21mm wheel lug nuts.
  • How to put the car in tow mode to release the rear electric parking brakes and then unclipping the power connector so the parking brake can't accidentally re-activate during the work.
  • Where and what lubricant to apply (though a competent shop would know this).
  • The torque specs for bolts removed to service the brakes.
  • The torque spec for the wheel lug nuts, since it's higher than what it is for many similar sized vehicles.

Reactions: gbertsch
With the caveat that the shop knows the specifics of servicing Tesla brakes. The brakes themselves are pretty standard but you have to consider:
  • Raising the car using the proper jack points (and pucks if necessary).
  • Having a socket for the kind of uncommon 21mm wheel lug nuts.
  • How to put the car in tow mode to release the rear electric parking brakes and then unclipping the power connector so the parking brake can't accidentally re-activate during the work.
  • Where and what lubricant to apply (though a competent shop would know this).
  • The torque specs for bolts removed to service the brakes.
  • The torque spec for the wheel lug nuts, since it's higher than what it is for many similar sized vehicles.
Most of those things vary no more for Tesla than they do for other brands. At this stage any decently busy shop has seen plenty of Teslas, I really wouldn't sweat it. Drop in, speak to them, give them your pucks if needed.