Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla recommends cleaning and lubricating all brake calipers every 12 months or 20,000 km

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any recommendations for this service up in Vaughan? Curious, as I've never done this before on any car I've owned for the last 20 years, what is different about the Tesla's that require this service to be done?

Somewhat off topic, but are folks bedding their brakes when they get their cars new and/or do their pads?
The "physical" brakes on a Tesla don't see much use. Regen does most of your braking. That's why cleaning is recommended as the salt and mud tends to stay on longer because the brakes are not being used much.

Any recommendations for this service up in Vaughan? Curious, as I've never done this before on any car I've owned for the last 20 years, what is different about the Tesla's that require this service to be done?

Somewhat off topic, but are folks bedding their brakes when they get their cars new and/or do their pads?
Tesla’s use their friction brakes a lot less due to regenerative braking. Because of that the pins/sliders in the brake assemblies don’t move as often as they do in gas cars and can seize up at a faster rate. Because of this we need to lubricate the pins/sliders more frequently, especially if you live in an area that has winter conditions.

I’ve not ever bed in OEM spec pads on any cars. Only upgraded spec pads.

• Helpful
Reactions: scottf200
I just checked with a friend who had the brake servicing done several months ago. He doesn’t have that line item on his invoice. I don’t recall having it on my first invoice for this work either otherwise I wouldn’t be surprised by it now. I can’t seem to find that invoice to compare it to right now so I’m not going to speak to 100% confidence in that.

I’m going to ask if they’ll swap on my winter tires for me in that cost. I know the answer is likely going to be no but I have nothing to lose by asking.
Did you get a response if they'll swap your winter tires for you at the same cost? This is frustrating because I was quoted this summer through service chat $140-160+HST for standard brake service on my Y. Now I got the same estimate you did with the added 0.5 hour ($87.50) charge for "Corrosion Present" without them even seeing the vehicle. My 2020 Y has less than 6000 km on it of dry summer driving! If I can get them to swap the winter tires (already on rims) for the same price, it will soften the blow.

Did you get a response if they'll swap your winter tires for you at the same cost? This is frustrating because I was quoted this summer through service chat $140-160+HST for standard brake service on my Y. Now I got the same estimate you did with the added 0.5 hour ($87.50) charge for "Corrosion Present" without them even seeing the vehicle. My 2020 Y has less than 6000 km on it of dry summer driving! If I can get them to swap the winter tires (already on rims) for the same price, it will soften the blow.
I am guessing the "Corrosion present" line item is to avoid them having to add this if there's a lot and the process to remove takes longer. I wouldn't be surprised if they remove it when the job is straightforward. Can't you use the chat in the app service item to ask them about it?

I am guessing the "Corrosion present" line item is to avoid them having to add this if there's a lot and the process to remove takes longer. I wouldn't be surprised if they remove it when the job is straightforward. Can't you use the chat in the app service item to ask them about it?
Yes, I asked them about it in the service chat and the response I got was "All service and parts prices are subject to change. A brake service will include costs for the wheel removal and installation, the brake cleaning and a standard half hour of corrosion labor." Total estimate comes to $247.18 (taxes in). I guess we'll see if they drop the "corrosion labor" when they do the work in Vaughan in a couple weeks. I'm doing it more as a preventative measure before winter because I've heard that they don't lube the caliper pins much in the factory. I will update what the final charge is.

Reactions: Biscuitman
Yes, I asked them about it in the service chat and the response I got was "All service and parts prices are subject to change. A brake service will include costs for the wheel removal and installation, the brake cleaning and a standard half hour of corrosion labor." Total estimate comes to $247.18 (taxes in). I guess we'll see if they drop the "corrosion labor" when they do the work in Vaughan in a couple weeks. I'm doing it more as a preventative measure before winter because I've heard that they don't lube the caliper pins much in the factory. I will update what the final charge is.
I just booked too in Ottawa - same price. We'll have to compare notes afterwards!

I'm getting my brake service and winter wheels/tires swapped at Wheeler Automotive for $200 cash in about 10 days.

You can message him directly on FB messenger if you like. Great guy, fair prices and very honest.

Here is a link to his FB page.

Reactions: Tony_YYZ
I'm getting my brake service and winter wheels/tires swapped at Wheeler Automotive for $200 cash in about 10 days.

You can message him directly on FB messenger if you like. Great guy, fair prices and very honest.

Here is a link to his FB page.

That’s where I was planning to go but just can’t accommodate the 3hrs transit time (both ways combined) right now .

Hey, sorry for the late reply.

I actually messaged them this morning and they confirmed that they will indeed swap my winter wheels on for me within that $70 charge! I asked them to confirm if I was going to get charged that same $70 fee regardless and they said yes. So it’s a no-brainer here since I was planning on swapping them myself the day after my service visit.

Hey, sorry for the late reply.

I actually messaged them this morning and they confirmed that they will indeed swap my winter wheels on for me within that $70 charge! I asked them to confirm if I was going to get charged that same $70 fee regardless and they said yes. So it’s a no-brainer here since I was planning on swapping them myself the day after my service visit.
So what is the total you're being charged for a brake service plus wheel swap?