Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Referrals Through Mobile App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got my car recently and have been playing around with the car app.

I noticed as of yesterday, there's a new field for "Referrals." However, when I click it, it says, "Error. Unable to Connect to My Tesla."

I thought this would tell me how many people have been use my referral code, but the error message came up. I couldn't figure out how to find this info in my main "My Tesla" account online either. All I can see is my referral link, how many days left to use my referral link, and the general summary and description of the referral program.

I posted the screenshots from my app.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20160824-123633.png
    Screenshot_20160824-123633.png
    99.1 KB · Views: 152
  • Screenshot_20160824-123706-2.png
    Screenshot_20160824-123706-2.png
    682.9 KB · Views: 107
That button gives you in-app access to your contacts so you can invite friends to buy a car. First click on the “choose friends” button but then “allow” access to Contacts or do that in Settings (on iOS). Select from among your contacts and then an email is created which incudes your referral code and with those invited in the BCC .

@ssrajputev my guess is you are running Android 6.0+? In Android 6.0 developers have to prompt you for access to your contacts and get permission at that point; however, it seems Tesla did not do this correctly (or develop it for Android 6.0+ in mind) and so you have to go into app settings and allow it in the permissions access to your contacts. This is a tricky bit of code to do right and something that I challenged my students this Spring with (did not make them happy as only like 2% of Android devices were 6.0+ at that point).

This is a change to the way Android does permissions. So even if you install a very permissive app you can selectively choose which "risky" permissions you want to grant an app when they are asked for by the app. This helps prevent it doing something malicious in the background without having to ask for permissions first.

The Android version doesn't seem to work that way (at least for now). I always get the "can't reach My Tesla at the moment" error, no other action possible.

@javawolfpack I had the same thought. However, the app has permission to access my contacts, and it still doesn't let me do anything else than confirming the error message. I can see the button to "Chose Friends", but I can't push it.

Last edited:
Reactions: javawolfpack
Besides that problem, I once more find it interesting that they can add UI changes and functionality to the app without releasing a new version. That button only started to appear today (or maybe late yesterday) - definitely no app update has happened on my phone for several weeks now.

Besides that problem, I once more find it interesting that they can add UI changes and functionality to the app without releasing a new version. That button only started to appear today (or maybe late yesterday) - definitely no app update has happened on my phone for several weeks now.

Likely has always been there, but hidden... and an API call it regularly makes to Tesla toggled it to be visible now. My guess since it's not working that someone did this by accident or forgot to turn on the section of code that does the acquisition of contacts.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus and rog
@ssrajputev my guess is you are running Android 6.0+? In Android 6.0 developers have to prompt you for access to your contacts and get permission at that point; however, it seems Tesla did not do this correctly (or develop it for Android 6.0+ in mind) and so you have to go into app settings and allow it in the permissions access to your contacts. This is a tricky bit of code to do right and something that I challenged my students this Spring with (did not make them happy as only like 2% of Android devices were 6.0+ at that point).

This is a change to the way Android does permissions. So even if you install a very permissive app you can selectively choose which "risky" permissions you want to grant an app when they are asked for by the app. This helps prevent it doing something malicious in the background without having to ask for permissions first.

Yes, I have a Google Nexus 6. I get the latest Android updates right away and am running 6.0.1.

The Android version doesn't seem to work that way (at least for now). I always get the "can't reach My Tesla at the moment" error, no other action possible.

@javawolfpack I had the same thought. However, the app has permission to access my contacts, and it still doesn't let me do anything else than confirming the error message. I can see the button to "Chose Friends", but I can't push it.

Yeah, that's the exact same issue on my Nexus 6.