Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Removing Features...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ford does the same thing. I ordered a 5.0 Mustang GT with performance package, I sold the car a couple of years later. Ford sent a bunch of techs to the new owners house to take off the performance package because the new owner never purchased the Mustang with that package............

Crazy right?
That isn't really the same thing at all when it comes to software. Would it be acceptable for Apple to remove apps you never paid for when you upgrade the OS on your iPhone?

No they don't need to stop. One is larger than the other, but many of the functions are similar and both have very similar software architectures. That sounds like apples to apples to me. Just because you mistakenly got a software key from a manufacturer, does not mean you should be able to keep in perpetuity. If you are hell bent on keeping the function you never paid for, you should disconnect your car from the Internet instead of continuing to download updates to those features.

Reactions: M109Rider
I was one of those who got EAP in error on my SR + model purchased in April, 2019. I enjoyed the features, but always expected them to recognize the error and remove them at some point. Then I saw the FSD upgrade lowered to $4000 my Tesla account because the system thought I had paid for EAP. I jumped on the deal the following day… I don't imagine they will pull a feature that I have a paid invoice for.

This thread shows how awful Tesla's record keeping is. It doesn't bother me, they are a startup automaker that is been operating at a breakneck pace since inception. I trust myself to keep better records than they do, so I keep my FSD invoice in a safe place.

Reactions: VT_EE
This thread was started by someone who sold a Tesla privately and features were removed in error.
Tesla has challenges in this area for sure, but it’s not a conspiracy, or a deliberate attempt to steal from owners.
They make similar errors, and likely more of them, in favor of owners.

It would be nice if the drama wasn’t so thick around these things.
I’ve owned a BMW for years, and when they mess up on these things, I don’t see one thread on their forums. Likely because they don’t get the attention they get here.

Drama writers love and need attention.

No they don't need to stop. One is larger than the other, but many of the functions are similar and both have very similar software architectures. That sounds like apples to apples to me. Just because you mistakenly got a software key from a manufacturer, does not mean you should be able to keep in perpetuity. If you are hell bent on keeping the function you never paid for, you should disconnect your car from the Internet instead of continuing to download updates to those features.

True

In my experience with no proof of purchase Tesla will screw you. I know as I had written proof of a purchase promise and they still said "no" because they decided the person that offer it was "not authorized". This is the kind of Tesla BS you can expect, as if one needs to go to Elon to get approval. Believe me the management there will lie and screw you if they can get away with it and this is why they have their slimy arbitration clause in the sales contract.

This is the kind of Tesla BS you can expect, as if one needs to go to Elon to get approval.

Heh- they DID kinda do that for a while-
Read the email Elon Musk sent to Tesla employees calling for 'hardcore' control of expenses

Elon Musk said:
going forward, all expenses of any kind anywhere in the world, including parts, salary, travel expenses, rent, literally every payment that leaves our bank account must be reviewed, confirmed as critical and the top of every page of outgoing payments signed by our CFO.

I will personally review and sign every 10th page.

this is why they have their slimy arbitration clause in the sales contract.

To be fair- you'd have a hard time finding ANY major company that doesn't have the same sort of clause in their sales contracts anymore.

And you DO have the right to opt out within a time period after purchase- just most are too lazy to do it.... (or too lazy to have actually read the contract to realize they have the option)

Reactions: TomB985
There is no way you don't have a record or an email on this transaction. Did you lose access to that email account as well?
Not everyone got an email when it was purchased aftermarket. I didn't get one. Yes, I checked my junk mail folder at the time, too.

P.S. Eventually the invoice came available under my Details for the car, on their website. I've since saved that PDF to my hard drive. But I've heard of people than have never seen, that, either. *shrug*

Reactions: Glamisduner
In my experience with no proof of purchase Tesla will screw you. I know as I had written proof of a purchase promise and they still said "no" because they decided the person that offer it was "not authorized". This is the kind of Tesla BS you can expect, as if one needs to go to Elon to get approval. Believe me the management there will lie and screw you if they can get away with it and this is why they have their slimy arbitration clause in the sales contract.

Wow, drama much.
This was an error, and it was corrected.
Many errors in favor of owners occur as well.
Don’t hear anyone saying “Here’s another owner screwing Tesla “ .....

Tesla has improvements needed in this area for sure, but I’ve seen NOTHING here that would confirm it was malicious or intentional.

The only malicious behavior I’ve seen is from the accusations that imply Tesla is purposely screwing people over. :)

Apple let’s you keep the purchased app forever even when you get a new phone.

• Funny
Reactions: SammichLover
Why do you think that is unethical? At that point Tesla has paid the original owner for the car, and feature, so I think that they can remove it if they want. Which obviously reduces the value of the vehicle, giving the new owner the choice of paying for the feature or not.

I do wonder if someone trades a Model 3 in that has no AP features, does Tesla enable the basic AP that is now standard or do they sell it with nothing enabled?
Others have commented in the past that Tesla removes the feature the original owner paid for, but doesn't subsequently lower the price of the vehicle accordingly.

No, EAP and FSD is a purchase linked to the VIN and stays with the VIN. The Free Supercharging though is different and although it was initially linked to the VIN Tesla changed that policy for newer sales in that it was then linked to the purchase itself, and thus the original purchaser. All the vehicle purchases prior to that policy change retain the Free Supercharging linked to the VIN, while the newer ones are not transferable..
This is a bit misleading. I purchased a vehicle from Tesla which originally had free SC tied to the VIN (2016 model). Once the vehicle was traded in, the FUSC was removed by Tesla. I didn't really care since I don't use SC's at all, but Tesla does what it wants with previously paid for features once the vehicle is turned in to them.

Reactions: SammichLover
This is a bit misleading. I purchased a vehicle from Tesla which originally had free SC tied to the VIN (2016 model). Once the vehicle was traded in, the FUSC was removed by Tesla. I didn't really care since I don't use SC's at all, but Tesla does what it wants with previously paid for features once the vehicle is turned in to them.
That's because you bought it from Tesla, I expect some time after the policy change? That's a different thing because it wasn't a direct owner-to-owner sale. Once Tesla comes into ownership (having paid the prior owner for it) they decided to strip that particular value from the vehicle (I don't know when that part of the policy change happened), so you didn't pay for that. However if you'd bought direct from the original owner (or some chain of owners that didn't include Tesla) you would have and would have free SCing.