Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Auto high beams work fine
Yes, if you believe their main objective is to induce epileptic seizures.

Why do they dip at reflective road signs? Why can’t they detect where cars are or will be, based on lights shining around corners, etc.?

Anyway maybe once they switch them over to FSD detection and perception stack they’ll work better.

Definitely tons of room for improvement.

They are better than the Highlander’s, but not much better.

I have the fluke car, it seems. I can't hold back the wave of people pissed about their Tesla and all the failed features of the car by myself.

I'll just stop I guess - everyone enjoy bitching about their cars. One positive thing that comes from it is that there is a catharsis when you all find similar people complaining about their cars. Hopefully that gives you all some comfort.
Woah!

I still love the car!

I wish it would do some things better, that's all.

I think that's what many express here. No need to immediately discard all of us as completely hating Tesla regardless of software/beta/prototype just based on the wipers and headlights.

I'm glad you enjoy yours. I do as well. Headlights suck and wipers are a close second - still the most fun car I've owned.

Huh? I did not say they were the worst, and there are many features the car has that I love (Dog Mode, the excellent driving experience, the silky smooth drivetrain, to name just a few).
Sorry Alan - you can't do it both ways. You can't say the auto high-beams induce seizures, and then say they're not the worst. You can't say something is terrible and a failure and then say they're not that bad.

So I'm on board now. I can't beat em - so I'm going to join em.

Sorry Alan - you can't do it both ways. You can't say the auto high-beams induce seizures, and then say they're not the worst. You can't say something is terrible and a failure and then say they're not that bad.

So I'm on board now. I can't beat em - so I'm going to join em.
I actually can. And that is what I am doing. As you can see many others have the same sentiment and frustrations.

I think some of these features which people have complained about for a long time actually will improve (probably not the auto wipers though - personally I don’t have terrible experience with them, but too small a sample of experience).

I actually can. And that is what I am doing. As you can see many others have the same sentiment and frustrations.

I think some of these features which people have complained about for a long time actually will improve (probably not the auto wipers though - personally I don’t have terrible experience with them, but too small a sample of experience).
No, they won't improve. It's been going since 2016 and nothing has gotten better. Nearly 7 years and we've not seen anything get better, unless you count running over children as getting better.

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
Car history makes a difference in how much these things bother us. My Tesla is the first car to offer auto wipers, auto high beams, and ultrasonic sensors. Historically I drove dinky econoboxes, mainly manual honda civics. While I don't think auto high beams are very good, I am totally fine just using them manually. I actually use high beams very sparingly (only when I actually can't see). The 3's headlights are so good I don't feel like I ever need high beams. When autowipers act up, I just put it on a set interval speed, or I just manually use the button. I don't even think about it because that's how I've always used them in my past cars.

As far as USS goes, I used to live and drive in Boston proper, and I got really good at knowing my corners intuitively. I'm moving in and out of parallel parking spaces with an inch of clearance, and it never bothered me. So I rarely find myself looking at the USS guide lines. I turned the chimes off years ago because they are so excessive. If the vision-only method can't give me 1-inch precision, I'll just deal with it the same way as all my other cars.

I also gave up on high beams and wipers. However, by _disabling_ the radar they are _forced_ on us. That is my issue: I accepted the car at the time of delivery with all the issues at the time of delivery (coming from a line of Audi cars, there were a lot of downgrades). I was at peace with those issues because I loved the drivetrain.
I would have loved to receive real improvements. Instead, I am forced into some beta testing of stuff that diminishes the car utility. So, they are braking stuff that I care about so that I can beta test things that I don’t give a damn about. That is the frustrating part.
This is a horrible philosophy and I hope it does not take hold. Imagine you get a dishwasher with OTA upgrades. The first upgrade is removal of the detergent (“no detergent is better for you”) with some promise of “we will get it better soon. And, BTW, now you cannot use garbage disposal while the dishwasher is working.
We would all call this crazy but that is exactly what Tesla is doing.

I also gave up on high beams and wipers. However, by _disabling_ the radar they are _forced_ on us. That is my issue: I accepted the car at the time of delivery with all the issues at the time of delivery (coming from a line of Audi cars, there were a lot of downgrades). I was at peace with those issues because I loved the drivetrain.
I would have loved to receive real improvements. Instead, I am forced into some beta testing of stuff that diminishes the car utility. So, they are braking stuff that I care about so that I can beta test things that I don’t give a damn about. That is the frustrating part.
This is a horrible philosophy and I hope it does not take hold. Imagine you get a dishwasher with OTA upgrades. The first upgrade is removal of the detergent (“no detergent is better for you”) with some promise of “we will get it better soon. And, BTW, now you cannot use garbage disposal while the dishwasher is working.
We would all call this crazy but that is exactly what Tesla is doing.
Agreed - the drivetrain was pretty good at the time, but so many others are superior now that it just doesn't make sense. Demand for the cars is dropping as more legitimate car companies are releasing real cars with real features and not this toy car with a company being run by a dictator who couldn't engineer himself out of a paper bag.

Agreed - the drivetrain was pretty good at the time, but so many others are superior now that it just doesn't make sense. Demand for the cars is dropping as more legitimate car companies are releasing real cars with real features and not this toy car with a company being run by a dictator who couldn't engineer himself out of a paper bag.
Very impressive transformation. If you lose your job, you should be able to get employment as a trainer for internet comment bots.

In the meantime I'll await the return of genuine Dewg.

1666485458492.jpeg

I have the fluke car, it seems. I can't hold back the wave of people pissed about their Tesla and all the failed features of the car by myself.

I'll just stop I guess - everyone enjoy bitching about their cars. One positive thing that comes from it is that there is a catharsis when you all find similar people complaining about their cars. Hopefully that gives you all some comfort.
Not a fluke! I love my M3LR. The auto wipers and auto high beams work well enough for me. I also love how well Beta works right now. It could be much better, but it doesn’t mean I can’t be happy with where it’s at.

I hate how forum comments are only a thin slice of someone’s thoughts. I’ve said both critical and positive things about Tesla, and I’ve had people assume those comments represented the totality of my opinions as if we’re only allowed extreme black and white positions.
Sorry Alan - you can't do it both ways. You can't say the auto high-beams induce seizures, and then say they're not the worst.
Maybe he likes inducing seizures?

inb4 Alan 👎

Reactions: JohnB007
No, their drivetrain is still superior. If you consider Lucid - they are in a different bucket ($200k and limited numbers). If you want efficiency and range Tesla is still the king. Everything else is on the spectrum from “meh” to “hate it”.

Compared to the BMW X3 I had before, there’s clearly pros and con for both, but being honest that’s cars! I suppose the AHB and wipers aren’t as good as they should be, particularly as it’s a basic and some small tweaks would fix it. The wipers just need a sensitivity adjustment (which could be on the thumb wheel), just like every other manufacturer. Without this I suspect even the dedicated sensors would prove erratic at times. For the AHB, implementation of the matrix lights would solve this completely.
The slightly disjointed UI approach is evident in many of the functions, e.g. adjustment of steering or mirrors is via the thumb wheel, select wipers and you need to use the screen to change the mode? Why not roll the wheel and press? These are just qwerks of manufacturers, some will accept them as a ”feature” of the brand, others will see it as somthing they can’t live with. That’s life!

Compared to the BMW X3 I had before, there’s clearly pros and con for both, but being honest that’s cars! I suppose the AHB and wipers aren’t as good as they should be, particularly as it’s a basic and some small tweaks would fix it. The wipers just need a sensitivity adjustment (which could be on the thumb wheel), just like every other manufacturer. Without this I suspect even the dedicated sensors would prove erratic at times. For the AHB, implementation of the matrix lights would solve this completely.
The slightly disjointed UI approach is evident in many of the functions, e.g. adjustment of steering or mirrors is via the thumb wheel, select wipers and you need to use the screen to change the mode? Why not roll the wheel and press? These are just qwerks of manufacturers, some will accept them as a ”feature” of the brand, others will see it as somthing they can’t live with. That’s life!
Yes, that is the hope. Just a few small tweaks of the software and things will be nearly perfect.

The reality is that Tesla only gets the software to 80% and then moves on to the next thing.

One of my hopes with the Tesla platform and OTA software updates is that the small annoyances you find typical with every car would slowly be corrected by Tesla because of ease in which updates could be done compared to legacy car manufacturers. Problem with an audio issue? Eventually it would be fixed and it would stop bothering you. Unfortunately, so far, this has not been the case with Tesla.

On my last car (a VW), when playing music, the “time remaining” display for a song would tick by at twice the rate for some reason (every second on the display would tick down every 0.5 seconds). It was just a minor annoyance and didn’t affect how the music was played. When I ordered my Model 3, I remember thinking the problems like that wouldn’t occur with my upcoming Tesla, because even if they did, in an update or two someone would notice the mistake and fix it.

But that is not turning out to be what is happening. I am still rebooting my screen every week because Spotify stops playing for some reason. I’ve been doing that since Spotify was added.

I have 2 2022 M3LR and I am curious about the hate on auto wipers. Nothing wrong with them on either of my cars. They works just as good as my other cars ie BMW & Mercedes
I have a 2020 MS LR+. For the past two years, every time I install an update I check to see if they fixed it - but they did not.
For some reason they randomly decide to go low speed swiping on a bright sunny day, without reason. Could not find a particular pattern - clean, dirty windshield, location, etc. It swipes a few times (with the horrible screech on a dry windshield) and it stops.
On the other side, the moment there is a single drop of rain the wipers go max speed.
I gave up on them and control them manually using the stalk. Now, with the radar gone, their behavior makes the AP unusable.

• Informative
Reactions: SalisburySam