Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You are conflation the FSD Capability package (what you buy) with FSD Beta (aka: Autosteer on City Streets). Traffic Light Chime is a feature included in the FSD Capability package (I think it may be standard now). BUT it has nothing to do with FSD Beta.

The Traffic Light Chime was a feature in the FSD Capability package (like Summon or NoA) before FSD Beta became available for us to apply for and test.

So YES you did have it before you got FSD Beta and got it when you bought the FSD Capability package.
I got my car March 2019 with Nvidia chip. Paid 3K for autopilot. Paid 6K for FSD September 2019. Got Tesla card I THINK February 2020. Got FSDb code 2 months ago. NEVER heard traffic light ding until September 2019. What I am "complaining" about is it dinged for green (but wasn't) and the touchscreen showed the traffic light flashing red then green and back every few seconds. So. if NOT in FSDb NOA mode just plain old I'm driving myself mode it was wrong. Had I been in self drive mode and was at a busy intersection would it have proceeded and got hit, I don''t know. I was at a very light traffic intersection. So Elon said on the webcast yesterday he thought end of year FSD for everyone and for anyone who buys a car now with 15K code. And when asked he didn't deny it would be almost driverless end of year. I don't think so.

I got my car March 2019 with Nvidia chip. Paid 3K for autopilot. Paid 6K for FSD September 2019. Got Tesla card I THINK February 2020. Got FSDb code 2 months ago. NEVER heard traffic light ding until September 2019. What I am "complaining" about is it dinged for green (but wasn't) and the touchscreen showed the traffic light flashing red then green and back every few seconds. So. if NOT in FSDb NOA mode just plain old I'm driving myself mode it was wrong. Had I been in self drive mode and was at a busy intersection would it have proceeded and got hit, I don''t know. I was at a very light traffic intersection. So Elon said on the webcast yesterday he thought end of year FSD for everyone and for anyone who buys a car now with 15K code. And when asked he didn't deny it would be almost driverless end of year. I don't think so.
Do you have FSD beta? If yes, forum members here have said the stoplight recognition function is flawless compared to AP stoplight recognition, so the problem isn’t the FSD beta code, the problem is the driver/you.

• Funny
Reactions: enemji
Do you have FSD beta? If yes, forum members here have said the stoplight recognition function is flawless compared to AP stoplight recognition, so the problem isn’t the FSD beta code, the problem is the driver/you.
I'm the problem? So you're saying AP code is at fault? Then why would anyone buy a Tesla? I ALMOST got rammed backing out of a parking space by a passing car and got NO warning. This is a safe car?

I'm the problem? So you're saying AP code is at fault? Then why would anyone buy a Tesla? I ALMOST got rammed backing out of a parking space by a passing car and got NO warning. This is a safe car?

Sure it is.

If you let the car auto-park it pulls in backward. Which is objectively safer, because then when you exit the spot you're pulling forward with vastly better visibility.

Sure it is.

If you let the car auto-park it pulls in backward. Which is objectively safer, because then when you exit the spot you're pulling forward with vastly better visibility.
I've been reading around. I am under the impression it doesn't work as well as summon. I can barely get summon to work, As far as backing out, MANY cars today have alerts when backing out of a space. Since my rear cameras come on how come they can't warn me? A few lines of code maybe?
I think there a certain number of people on this site who make excuses like the one above. For 15K the GD car should warn you if there is a car/person behind you.

• Funny
Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I've been reading around. I am under the impression it doesn't work as well as summon.

What doesn't? Autopark? Since the update to vision it works very reliably, and can finally park in spaces without requiring other cars around too.

It's still slower than a human, but no longer painfully/unusably slow-- and recognizing there's a spot there has improved drastically from the non-vision version.

, As far as backing out, MANY cars today have alerts when backing out of a space. Since my rear cameras come on how come they can't warn me? A few lines of code maybe?

Because they can't see to the left/right very far. Most other cars with rear collision warnings do so with side/rear facing radars.

But again it's objectively more dangerous to back out of a spot-- even if manually parking you can certainly back yourself in and not have to worry about did your car warn you enough during an unsafe exit.

That's not an excuse, it's a fact- back in parking is safer regardless of the systems the car has or not.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS
I've been reading around. I am under the impression it doesn't work as well as summon. I can barely get summon to work, As far as backing out, MANY cars today have alerts when backing out of a space. Since my rear cameras come on how come they can't warn me? A few lines of code maybe?
I think there a certain number of people on this site who make excuses like the one above. For 15K the GD car should warn you if there is a car/person behind you.
Told you the reason here, you just didn't listen:
The way those are done in other cars is using radar sensors on the left and right of the rear bumper (same ones used for blind spot monitoring). A camera is going to be of limited use for this application unless they are mounted in similar locations, especially if you have cars on either side of you blocking the side cameras. They can do a rudimentary software solution, but it won't give you any warning beyond what you can see with your own eyes in the rear view camera, and would give a false sense of security.

FSD Beta is designed to never back out of a parking space (it's designed to back in), so they won't have incentive to address this ever.

By the time you see them in the rear view camera, you can see them with your eyes also in the camera view, what extra does that add? It's not the equivalent of cross traffic alerts in other cars where it can warn of a car coming before the rear view camera can see it. This is only possible because it has the sensor mounted right at the rear corners of the car.
images

And new cars from other brands coming out in the market today have those sensors removed also because they are running out of the chips to run them.

Last edited:
Told you the reason here, you just didn't listen:

And new cars from other brands coming out in the market today have those sensors removed also because they are running out of the chips to run them.

yeah... but notice the difference in approach "According to Edmunds, only entry- and mid-level trims are affected by the missing features; the top-spec models are set to retain them."

and VW clearly communicated that lower trim models will see blindspot monitor sensors w. rear cross traffic alert removed for now due to a chip shortage. Tesla never offered rear cross traffic alert (a $30k Mazda has it standard) to begin with and radar / parking sensor removal is being sold as "Tesla Vision !!! not needed anymore..." when it is clear that it's cost cutting and coping with chip shortage...

Reactions: enemji and Boza
yeah... but notice the difference in approach "According to Edmunds, only entry- and mid-level trims are affected by the missing features; the top-spec models are set to retain them."

and VW clearly communicated that lower trim models will see blindspot monitor sensors w. rear cross traffic alert removed for now due to a chip shortage. Tesla never offered rear cross traffic alert (a $30k Mazda has it standard) to begin with and radar / parking sensor removal is being sold as "Tesla Vision !!! not needed anymore..." when it is clear that it's cost cutting and coping with chip shortage...
similair approach was taken when removing Lumbar. Some other carmakers said "sorry, parts shortage, no more passenger side lumbar, here is a $250 credit".

Tesla said nothing until users found out...got no credit/refund...and were told "our data showed you people werent using it anyways, so we saved you the hassle of having it in the car and removed it. Consider us doing you a favor" (or something like that).

that said, we were provided with plenty of jokes about 420 and 69 so there is that benefit.

Reactions: E90alex and kavyboy
Wondering if they disable the sensors on the existing fleet…
They don't. But those cars are also static - they have the functionality that's there when you buy them, and that's what you get for the life of the car. You want new functionality, you buy a new car. A "traditional" car, if you will. Teslas aren't traditional cars - they aren't static. They are changing, updating, new features, new capabilities. When I bought my car it couldn't just drive around town, and now with FSD Beta it can. I don't see Toyota or Honda or Nissan doing that with their cars. "Hey, your 2020 Camry will receive an update tomorrow. Just accept it when you get into it in the morning and you'll now be able to go down the city streets and it will stop at stop lights and accelerate for you."

They don't. But those cars are also static - they have the functionality that's there when you buy them, and that's what you get for the life of the car. You want new functionality, you buy a new car. A "traditional" car, if you will. Teslas aren't traditional cars - they aren't static. They are changing, updating, new features, new capabilities. When I bought my car it couldn't just drive around town, and now with FSD Beta it can. I don't see Toyota or Honda or Nissan doing that with their cars. "Hey, your 2020 Camry will receive an update tomorrow. Just accept it when you get into it in the morning and you'll now be able to go down the city streets and it will stop at stop lights and accelerate for you."
Yep, people harp on Tesla for missing some features, but then forget the bunch of extra features that Tesla gives for free. I got a 2021 $39k SR+ with AP included, and just the AP alone would have cost a couple thousand in an option package if I got another car, not to mention other features. For example if I got a BMW, I would have had to add other packages to get the proximity keyless, power lumbar, heated front seats, auto high beam, none of which are included in the $41,250 base price. The ultrasonic sensors are not included either and are in an option package (as is the radar based blind spot monitoring).
https://www.bmwofwarwick.com/2021-bmw-3-series-price/

Sure you can find some loaded non-premium cars that perhaps also have a lot of features, but they simply won't even be in the same class (if only in performance alone).

2020 MS LR+ here. Since I bought the car
New features:
- Sonic the Hedgehog
Removed features:
- (arguably) worse UI with V11
- Radar
Things that I care about and wanted fixed:
- Auto wipers
- Auto high beams
Things that would make a positive change for me:
- Lane change monitor
- 360 top view
- Remote security camera
- Driver-centric UI

Given that the car is becoming worse with every update, I actually prefer “static” Tesla. Change != progress.
I am happy with the “driver assistance” version I have. I could not care less for the FSD pipe dream. If they want to beta test ideas - fine. But please do not ruin my experience with those tests. I am not a beta tester. The car is a tool for me and I have never signed up to participate in experiments.

Last edited:
2020 MS LR+ here. Since I bought the car
New features:
- Sonic the Hedgehog
Removed features:
- (arguably) worse UI with V11
- Radar
Things that I care about and wanted fixed:
- Auto wipers
- Auto high beams
Things that would make a positive change for me:
- Lane change monitor
- 360 top view
- Remote security camera
- Driver-centric UI

Given that the car is becoming worse with every update, I actually prefer “static” Tesla. Change != progress.
I am happy with the “driver assistance” version I have. I could not care less for the FSD pipe dream. If they want to beta test ideas - fine. But please do not ruin my experience with those tests. I am not a beta tester. The car is a tool for me and I have never signed up to participate in experiments.
Auto wipers work fine
Auto high beams work fine
Remote Security Camera is already available (Remote Sentry Mode)
UI is fine
Radar caused PBs, glad it's gone.

I bought into a technology company, and I want to see the class car model replaced. I hate the arrogance of big car companies telling me that I have to buy a new car just to get a basic feature that the previous refresh didn't have. The car is more than a tool for me, and I wanted to be on the cutting edge.

Auto wipers work fine
UI is fine

I bought into a technology company, and I want to see the class car model replaced. I hate the arrogance of big car companies telling me that I have to buy a new car just to get a basic feature that the previous refresh didn't have. The car is more than a tool for me, and I wanted to be on the cutting edge.
IMO:
- The Autowipers suck in low light situations (i.e. dark roads with only your vehicle's headlights). They are merely OK with outside light. Definitely not as good as my Mazda with a dedicated rain sensor.
- The Auto high beams are horrible compared to other cars I've driven.
- Radar/Radar-less is a toss up. I have definitely noticed more phantom breaking without the radar active.

Update: - Will say Vision AP is much better when it comes to not freaking out about cross traffic.

Auto wipers work fine
UI is fine

While I agree with your overall sentiment, the auto wipers and auto high beams are garbage.

I was actually driving about a mile behind a M3 on 95 a few weeks ago and I ID'd it was a Tesla from that far back based on how f'd up the headlights were behaving. It's horrible for anyone that uses the interstate.

The wipers are less annoying but when they go to high for mist/fog or try and clean my showroom polished windshield it detracts from the experience. (I only use invisiglass to clean with a microfiber towel).

Reactions: Sir Surfalot
I have the fluke car, it seems. I can't hold back the wave of people pissed about their Tesla and all the failed features of the car by myself.

I'll just stop I guess - everyone enjoy bitching about their cars. One positive thing that comes from it is that there is a catharsis when you all find similar people complaining about their cars. Hopefully that gives you all some comfort.

Reactions: JohnB007