Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was so excited to take delivery of my new 2023 Model 3 Tesla last Thursday, October 27th. Unfortunately, the excitement is wearing off. While exploring the features of the Model 3 I realized that the summon feature was missing from both the app and the controls under autopilot (Enhanced Autopilot). Contacting Tesla I spoke with Tiffany who had me provide screenshots of the app and told me she would get back to me. After waiting two days with no contact from the rep, I again contacted Tesla and spoke with Brandon, who knew immediately what the issue is. Tesla removed the radar and is only using cameras for autopilot (which I was aware of). Unfortunately, the software will not yet support summon, smart summon, or auto park.

I have a tight garage and the summon feature was going to be a big help in getting everyone in and out of the vehicle. Further, I am unable to roll back the purchase of the Enhanced Autopilot and recoup the extra $6000 I invested to be able to utilize all the benefits of the EA. Hopefully, the bad taste this has left me with will wear off and I will again be excited about my new vehicle. In the meantime, all I can do is wait for Tesla to get around to releasing the update that will allow me to use features that I have already paid for.
What does removing radar (a year ago) have to do with parking in your garage?

The occupancy network uses all the cameras to do its 3d mapping. The system may also use the wheel sensors to determine how the car is moving. That means unless all views of the cameras are featureless, it would likely have plenty of cues to determine how far the car moved relative to the wall.
Ahh OK I didnt realize it did a 3d mapping with the other cameras as well, still relatively new to Tesla and how their software works behind the scenes...

If it already does 3d mapping with the cameras around the car, I wonder what the hold up is then not having summon/park/etc on the new USS-less models?

Everyone should wait until this is really confirmed. So far there is this single tweet that is simply being referenced again and again. Who is this Green person anyway? Why should anyone believe that there is a solution for USS if Tesla is not making a public statement about it? Tesla informed the world that there would be no USS and for a limited time no functionality; one would think that they would then give a public update that the function is now being reinstated with this release. I do not see such a statement as of yet. Only a tweet from someone gives no proof.
LOL. Those of us who have been around this forum awhile know Green is the ultimate Tesla hacker. If he said it's in there, then it is.

Ahh OK I didnt realize it did a 3d mapping with the other cameras as well, still relatively new to Tesla and how their software works behind the scenes...

If it already does 3d mapping with the cameras around the car, I wonder what the hold up is then not having summon/park/etc on the new USS-less models?
The occupancy network was just recently rolled out to FSD Beta. It has not hit the main code yet. The rumor being discussed by green is that there is an upcoming update that will incorporate it into main. After that happens they can probably start restoring some of the features missing from the cars without USS.

Reactions: TenKOhms

From a UK thread discussing similar. Any thoughts from members here?

The UK thread kind of links radar and USS sensor changes and their impact on existing Vs new cars and also implications for maintaining different code variants for different hardware.

Say you order a kettle. Then on delivery day the salesman makes you sign a waiver saying that this new kettle is missing the part that will boil the water...
From a UK thread discussing similar. Any thoughts from members here?
Yes. My thought is that tinkering with the sensors truly must stir a deeply held feeling of outrage, if it can be compared to interfering with afternoon tea in Britain.

Reactions: WllXM
Musky promised this well over a year ago, so no
This is not correct. Elon never promised a 360 view like those that use parking cameras. Before the occupancy network even existed, he promised a vector space bird's eye view for FSD Beta which the engineers did make and release for FSD Beta. This was presented in various technical presentations about autopilot by Andrej. This was as opposed to the previous raster based road lines.

It was others that interpreted the bird's eye view (BEV) as 360 parking camera, when that was not what he meant.

Here's an article on how Tesla's vector space BEV worked (this was before the latest occupancy network):

Yeah and when they added the repeater cameras to the backup camera view, I took this as an admission that they're so behind on the "vector space" parking view that they're just going to throw us a bone and add in more cameras. Not quite full 360 but better than nothing.

Why do you need camera views when your car can build a 3D Minecraft level from the occupancy networks? Just throw the output into the 3D visualization and color the cuboids based on distance, gray when they're clear of the car, red when you're about to crash, etc.

I was so excited to take delivery of my new 2023 Model 3 Tesla last Thursday, October 27th. Unfortunately, the excitement is wearing off. While exploring the features of the Model 3 I realized that the summon feature was missing from both the app and the controls under autopilot (Enhanced Autopilot). Contacting Tesla I spoke with Tiffany who had me provide screenshots of the app and told me she would get back to me. After waiting two days with no contact from the rep, I again contacted Tesla and spoke with Brandon, who knew immediately what the issue is. Tesla removed the radar and is only using cameras for autopilot (which I was aware of). Unfortunately, the software will not yet support summon, smart summon, or auto park.

I have a tight garage and the summon feature was going to be a big help in getting everyone in and out of the vehicle. Further, I am unable to roll back the purchase of the Enhanced Autopilot and recoup the extra $6000 I invested to be able to utilize all the benefits of the EA. Hopefully, the bad taste this has left me with will wear off and I will again be excited about my new vehicle. In the meantime, all I can do is wait for Tesla to get around to releasing the update that will allow me to use features that I have already paid for.
This actually strikes me as Tesla being in breach of contract - smart summon is part of the EAP (and FSD) package so not including it means they are not delivering a feature that was explicitly promised at the time of order.

If they can duplicate all the functionality of the ultrasonic sensors with cameras, great. Do it before you remove the sensors so there is no loss of functionality.

Last edited: