Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The bollard is seen but the ground is nowhere in view.

Sonar is just like a very simple ruler tape measure. You roll your ruler out and you get the distance. It emits ultrasound and it bounces back to instantly translate to distance.

It's more difficult with cameras. As you said, it can use the cues like a bollard and the ground. It has to translate pixels into meaningful objects (labeling). It's not a simple ruler. It's a very complicated computation of the pixels to get what you want: In this case, distance.

Right, it sees it before pulling it and uses vehicle and scene kinematics to track it. The Occupancy Network is the hard part. Once that works, USS behavior is easy to code.

So much crap in this thread.
I'm attaching a photo from today of my Vision Only Model 3 after manually parking

Attachments

• IMG_20221005_115307728.jpg
    IMG_20221005_115307728.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 165
Reactions: finman100 and GOVA
AGIAN, here is an example from yesterday. I pull up to 12" warning and then move another inch or 2 to keep people from squeezing between my bumper and the bollard. This can ONLY be done with ultrasonics and NO WAY vision could tell me this.

It could if you back into the spot since the car has 3 cameras all looking behind it.

Potentially in could pulling in forward too if you didn't turn so tightly the front cameras never got to see the pillar

Yet another reason why it is looking more likely that my current Tesla will be my last Tesla. I was already critical of them going all-in on Vision and removing the radar, making TACC less capable (as evidenced by lower speed limits) and bringing back phantom braking on highways in NoA. Now they are going further by removing USSes?!?

Congratulations new Tesla Owners! You cars now have had the ugly aesthetic, extra weight, and signal inefficiency of last-century ultrasonic sensors removed in lieu of Telsa's far more capable Tesla Vision. Welcome to the future! (fine print: your car will no longer autopark, park assist, summon, smart summon, avoid small children and pets, or chime when you are about to hit a pole)

What software version are you referring to?
I'm on 10.69.2.2. Yes I understand that there is a bit of recurrence in there, but it still forgets vehicles stopped in a line for a light the moment they are obscured by the vehicle directly in front. At least with radar, it could usually pick up one or two vehicles in front even if it couldn't see them. It is certainly not going to remember there was an object somewhere around the perimeter of your car that is out of camera range over the time you get out of the car and go somewhere and then come back.

I'm on 10.69.2.2. Yes I understand that there is a bit of recurrence in there, but it still forgets vehicles stopped in a line for a light the moment they are obscured by the vehicle directly in front. At least with radar, it could usually pick up one or two vehicles in front even if it couldn't see them. It is certainly not going to remember there was an object somewhere around the perimeter of your car that is out of camera range over the time you get out of the car and go somewhere and then come back.
What is displayed in the UI is different from what it is tracking internally.
It projects paths of occluded objects which would appear very strange.

(fine print: your car will no longer autopark, park assist, summon, smart summon, avoid small children and pets, or chime when you are about to hit a pole)
Settle down Goose. I know you're pissed and lashing out, but take a breather before posing and try to be objective. "no longer" is a definitive statement, and you cannot say that with any accuracy. When Tesla Vision was released, the speed limit was 75MPH and Smart Summon was disabled. The limit was increased over time to current 85MPH and Smart Summon was re-enabled fairly quickly. Someone reads "no longer" and they think they'll never get the features back, and their car will run over children and pets. Dramatic, yes. Accurate, we don't know yet. Why alarm people when the sky isn't falling?

It could if you back into the spot since the car has 3 cameras all looking behind it.

Potentially in could pulling in forward too if you didn't turn so tightly the front cameras never got to see the pillar
1. It is an angled parking spot so backing in is NOT an option.
2. I'm at a Volta Free Charging Station charging (see left Repeater pic). So backing in (within I can't, see no. 1 and would mean I couldn't charge, the point of parking there)

IMG_1784 (2).jpeg

Also for all those that say Tesla only uses back-in for Supercharging. Here is a Supercharger site that opened just yesterday. Angled parking and pull in forward.

Screen Shot 2022-10-05 at 2.04.29 PM.png

Last edited:
What is displayed in the UI is different from what it is tracking internally.
It projects paths of occluded objects which would appear very strange.
Vehicles which are occluded for a very short period (definitely less than a couple of seconds, likely much shorter). This relates back to the scenario I've posted about so many times I dread repeating it yet again: On the top of my list of bad driving by FSDb is the desire to go around parked cars on a two lane road with a double-yellow center line. One particular scenario is that if I am in a long line of cars waiting for a traffic light, it won't try to go around the car in front of me if it sees more cars ahead of it also stopped or slow moving. However, if something happens that occludes the other cars waiting ahead (crest a hill, large SUV, etc.), then all of a sudden (and I mean in a split-second) it decides that we're not waiting in a long line of cars for a light but instead the car ahead is "parked" and it needs to go around. So over the double yellow line it goes into oncoming traffic (whether it can see them or not) to go around the car.

This has been a problem for me since I first got FSDb back last November. And now, almost a year later, it has yet to be fixed. I assume because such a scenario doesn't happen on either Elon's or the other Tesla Autonomous Vehicle engineers commute to and from work.

Reactions: XPsionic
Settle down Goose. I know you're pissed and lashing out, but take a breather before posing and try to be objective. "no longer" is a definitive statement, and you cannot say that with any accuracy. When Tesla Vision was released, the speed limit was 75MPH and Smart Summon was disabled. The limit was increased over time to current 85MPH and Smart Summon was re-enabled fairly quickly. Someone reads "no longer" and they think they'll never get the features back, and their car will run over children and pets. Dramatic, yes. Accurate, we don't know yet. Why alarm people when the sky isn't falling?
What that obvious fake and sarcastic statement was meant to portray was the absolute hypocrisy of Tesla touting the removal of the ultrasonics as some sort of step forward in autonomous vehicle capability due to the amazing Tesla Vision, while simultaneously disabling existing features apparently because they can't be performed as well without the ultrasonic sensors. IMO, it is clear they didn't remove ultrasonics because they thing Tesla Vision only is better. It's more likely a supply chain and/or cost-cutting issue.

So they gave you 50% back 1.5 years later? Still missing 90mph and follow distance of 1. I think it's safe to assume that vision USS will be at least somewhat worse than using the actual sensors for a long time to come, if not forever (like auto wipers and auto high beams)