Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LOL

Your link goes to the "the Chinese Exclusion Repeal Act." which shares a name with the law you ACTUALLY meant...and which is linked here:

Even funnier- your own link, which you clearly did not read, points out that exact difference at the very top.
Despite the wrong link, I think his point, same as yours, was that due to the Magnuson Moss act the warranty wouldn't be voided by refusing a software update.

Despite the wrong link, I think his point, same as yours, was that due to the Magnuson Moss act the warranty wouldn't be voided by refusing a software update.
It may not technically "void" the warranty. Their style is more like "sure, we'll replace that $2k part under warranty but we have to put the latest software on first - want it or not?" approach. Essentially you can resist updates for a time but not indefinitely.

Although there are mixed feelings as some great updates have come along the last few years but I really like the v9 UI that I bought years ago. Part of me would have been happy staying there forever but it just doesn't seem practical.

• Love
Reactions: kavyboy
It may not technically "void" the warranty. Their style is more like "sure, we'll replace that $2k part under warranty but we have to put the latest software on first - want it or not?" approach. Essentially you can resist updates for a time but not indefinitely.

Although there are mixed feelings as some great updates have come along the last few years but I really like the v9 UI that I bought years ago. Part of me would have been happy staying there forever but it just doesn't seem practical.
Do they do that?

I agree with you (although I haven't had my car long enough to feel I've lost anything with any update. It's been improvement virtually every time.) that resistance is futile when it comes to updates, ultimately.

But that misunderstands the act.

If the issue is related to software, even tangentially, they absolutely CAN refuse that service without the update, because they're claiming the update is part of the repair.

Where MM usually comes into play is blocking a car maker from refusing warranty because of something UNRELATED to the actual problem (for example if you put aftermarket shocks on they can't refuse to warranty the stereo because those aren't related... they COULD refuse to warranty the suspension since you modified it)

What I pointed out is the inverse-- they can't refuse service on say the suspension*** because you refuse a software update

In both cases they can't "void the warranty" but they CAN refuse service in some specific situations.

***disclaimer- they maybe COULD still if the issue was on a car with vehicle-adjustable air suspension or something... but not say a 3 or Y where the SW is unrelated to the suspension parts

But that misunderstands the act.

If the issue is related to software, even tangentially, they absolutely CAN refuse that service without the update, because they're claiming the update is part of the repair.

Where MM usually comes into play is blocking a car maker from refusing warranty because of something UNRELATED to the actual problem (for example if you put aftermarket shocks on they can't refuse to warranty the stereo because those aren't related... they COULD refuse to warranty the suspension since you modified it)

What I pointed out is the inverse-- they can't refuse service on say the suspension*** because you refuse a software update

In both cases they can't "void the warranty" but they CAN refuse service in some specific situations.

***disclaimer- they maybe COULD still if the issue was on a car with vehicle-adjustable air suspension or something... but not say a 3 or Y where the SW is unrelated to the suspension parts
Okay, I see what you are saying and would agree. Thanks for the clarification!

This is what I found in the MVPA.
Curious. Here it is, "Wenn Sie die Software-Updates des Fahrzeugs nicht installieren, nachdem Sie darüber informiert wurden, dass ein Update verfügbar ist, kann dies zum Erlöschen der Tesla Beschränkte Garantie bei Neuwagen bzw. der Tesla Gebrauchtwagengarantie führen.“
Translation: "Failing to install the vehicle's software updates after being notified that an update is available may void the Tesla New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Tesla Used Vehicle Warranty." Looks like it is quite possible that terms are different in different countries.

• Informative
Reactions: DrGriz
I know, I know. When logging in to my Tesla account to deal with things like insurance/trade-in it gave me a pop-up regarding Tesla Vision (and the removal of USS) , with a big "I accept and will take delivery" button I had to press in order to unlock my account again.
So they can now legally say "you accepted the fact that you didn't have USS". But that's gun-to-my-head diplomacy, of course.
It states I will get park assist "binnenkort" (dutch for "soon").
If it was end of year I'd be totally fine with that. But if it's more like mid-2023 I'll be pretty pissed off.
You can still cancel the order. But TBH, Park Assist is not all that great. It is v e r y s l o w, often unusable. So even if your car doesn’t have the feature, you are not missing much. I’ve tested it on my car, technically it works, but I never use it.

Curious. Here it is, "Wenn Sie die Software-Updates des Fahrzeugs nicht installieren, nachdem Sie darüber informiert wurden, dass ein Update verfügbar ist, kann dies zum Erlöschen der Tesla Beschränkte Garantie bei Neuwagen bzw. der Tesla Gebrauchtwagengarantie führen.“
Translation: "Failing to install the vehicle's software updates after being notified that an update is available may void the Tesla New Vehicle Limited Warranty or Tesla Used Vehicle Warranty." Looks like it is quite possible that terms are different in different countries.
The point there is if Tesla does something like adjust the pack charge curve or motor waveforms and someone doesn't update and the lack of update causes a failure, then the failure may not be covered under warranty.

But TBH, Park Assist is not all that great.
Very true.

What I would hope more-so than the Park Assist is the close-quarters manual parking like a tight garage. It's nice to know when you are within 12" of an obstacle. That's certainly what I would miss, assuming that is a USS function today. Hopefully the cameras will regain that capability over time and I'm sure it will. History (like removal of radar) would indicate some inconvenience for people until that functionality is restored. While I personally would not defer a purchase for this reason alone, I can understand if others feel otherwise. You are putting a bit of faith the functionality will soon be back.

But on the other hand, if I had pre-knowledge of the fiasco with PB the removal of radar had on cars, I certainly would have kicked that purchase down the road or tried to find a radar-equipped version. It is quite a silly way to run a company, IMHO.

Reactions: VanFriscia
Do they do that?

I agree with you (although I haven't had my car long enough to feel I've lost anything with any update. It's been improvement virtually every time.) that resistance is futile when it comes to updates, ultimately.
They often need to install a service/diagnostics Software with special service features to work on the car. Then they will need to install a user software before returning the car. That means you will get whatever version Tesla sends to the car and that will be a current signed version.

Very true.

What I would hope more-so than the Park Assist is the close-quarters manual parking like a tight garage. It's nice to know when you are within 12" of an obstacle. That's certainly what I would miss, assuming that is a USS function today. Hopefully the cameras will regain that capability over time and I'm sure it will. History (like removal of radar) would indicate some inconvenience for people until that functionality is restored. While I personally would not defer a purchase for this reason alone, I can understand if others feel otherwise. You are putting a bit of faith the functionality will soon be back.

But on the other hand, if I had pre-knowledge of the fiasco with PB the removal of radar had on cars, I certainly would have kicked that purchase down the road or tried to find a radar-equipped version. It is quite a silly way to run a company, IMHO.
Vision *should* be able to be better at that, than USS. Vision does not need a clear view of the ground in all directions, to successfully park. if it can get high res video on approach, call it a "survey" view if you will. The car can calculate precisely how far it can move in any direction to avoid objects in its path that it saw earlier. It does not necessarily need to see the ground in all directions, after it has landed.

I do this every time I walk in to my bedroom, in total darkness. I turn on a light briefly to get a fix on the door knob, then turn the light off and walk straight to the door knob.

It also comes down to NHTSA recalls. There have been several "recalls" from Tesla and NHTSA that were easily solved with OTA software updates. A few of them are safety recalls, such as the seatbelt warning chime. If you have been refusing software updates, and take your car into a service center, they may be required by law to update the software on your vehicle to satisfy those recalls.

• Informative
Reactions: Boza and DrGriz
I’m not sure what your purchase agreements say in the US, but here there is a clause that stipulated that if an owner refuses to take update after being made aware of update availability, then owner foregoes right to warranty.
That is not legal in the US, due to the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. They simply can't void your whole warranty for unrelated things (for example I had glass defects that were covered under warranty, and they would have no way to deny that simply because I didn't install an update). There may be bugs they fix via software updates that if you opt out you don't get the fix, but that is a different matter (and a choice each individual makes).

I am curious - is anyone else surprised that the mainstream news media have not picked up on the USS removal and its impact on Q4 deliveries? If even a fraction of the cancellations or "on hold" claims I see in the various forums are true, I would think there would be a noticeable impact on deliveries for Q4.

100% this will have 0 impact on Q4 deliveries.

Tesla is still selling every car they can produce and with a backlog-- removing radar didn't change that, removing USS sure won't.

100% this will have 0 impact on Q4 deliveries.

Tesla is still selling every car they can produce and with a backlog-- removing radar didn't change that, removing USS sure won't.
....and >95% will not have any true understanding or idea/awareness of the removal at all. They may know that their current car tells them how far they are from a wall but don't know or care how it does this, so won't realize it is MIA.

All people wanting to "hold" will be tax incentive related.

They are doing it with a software update which you can always choose to not install. Anyone that likes their current car as is and are wary of removal or changes in current features should not install updates (at least until others have been guinea pigs or at minimum the release notes are out, although sometimes release notes don't capture all changes).

Currently I have chosen not to install the radar removing update yet personally. I don't really use AP (I still prefer manual driving while cars still allow it), but I want to take some time to test out radar based AP while I still can, and then eventually update to Vision to get some personal insight/experience on if it makes things better or worse (given so many stories either way).
You not have choice on the matter of installing the update. Either it will be installed by a technician next time when you visit a SC, or the car will install it by itself (happened to quite a few people, including me, with V11). Legally, you have to be at the latest release for the warranty to be enforced.

You not have choice on the matter of installing the update. Either it will be installed by a technician next time when you visit a SC, or the car will install it by itself (happened to quite a few people, including me, with V11).
I have never heard of an update installing by itself. The people that had this happened AFAIK either had family members that clicked to install (they didn't know and initially claimed it was self installed, but when they asked that is what actually happened) or they did it by accident themselves. There are still people on V9 in 2022, which shouldn't be possible if they were forcing installs.
Legally, you have to be at the latest release for the warranty to be enforced.
Already pointed out by many others that is not legal in the US. This may apply to other countries however.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: KArnold
I have never heard of an update installing by itself. The people that had this happened AFAIK either had family members that clicked to install (they didn't know and initially claimed it was self installed, but when they asked that is what actually happened) or they did it by accident themselves. There are still people on V9 in 2022, which shouldn't be possible if they were forcing installs.

Already pointed out by many others that is not legal in the US. This may apply to other countries however.
When the clock turns from yellow to black the software will install itself, without intervention from you. It may take months (even years) but it will eventually happen.
Not having the firmware does not necessarily void the warranty (in some cases it may do that). However, the first thing they will ask you to do if you have a warranty claim is to upgrade. Also, as part of the warranty service they will make sure you are at the latest release. Check the purchase agreement language.