Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla replacing ultrasonic sensors with Tesla Vision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"So much faith" is a mischaracterization of what I said.

The reason I keep an open mind about Tesla Vision is because I listened to the reasoning behind the decision by Karpathy.
It isn’t that I don’t want the new technology it’s the fact that a serious safety/security feature has been removed with no replacement solution.
The answer should have been leave well alone until the new technology is ready.

Who knows, could be 2025 before we see it and when I said that to the delivery team I expected them to correct me … sadly, that wasn’t the case

I don't want to get involved in this debate, except to correct a few statements I've seen. Ultrasonic sensors on Tesla cars are used for parking assistance only. They are not used for AP/FSD decision making. They are not used in safety systems, such as AEB. They are not used in security systems, such as Sentry Mode.

Stop trying to shore up your viewpoint in this debate and sway opinions in your favor with false statements.

Yeah, I forgot to mention this, but when I picked up my car last Saturday I asked on and on about the Tesla Vision timeline and got some tidbits of info.

As I mentioned somewhere on TMC before, the Tesla salesman knew nothing of the timeline for TV parking features but said nobody knows.

What he did mention was a birds eye view is in the works. I corrected him with my TMC fanboi knowledge and said: you mean surround view with FSD visualization and he said: no no, camera based birds eye view.

Let's hope this is true, but it doesn't seem what Elon tweeted about lately. Just wanted to share what I heard.
I'll keep fingers crossed we get a Christmas update :)
In any case, interesting info thanks.

Reactions: jeewee3000
I don't want to get involved in this debate, except to correct a few statements I've seen. Ultrasonic sensors on Tesla cars are used for parking assistance only. They are not used for AP/FSD decision making. They are not used in safety systems, such as AEB. They are not used in security systems, such as Sentry Mode.

Stop trying to shore up your viewpoint in this debate and sway opinions in your favor with false statements.
Incorrect on the sentry mode. They use uss to detect when to turn the cameras on and record. A new update I think has changed this and enabled for none uss cars.

Incorrect on the sentry mode. They use uss to detect when to turn the cameras on and record. A new update I think has changed this and enabled for none uss cars.
This can't be correct. The cameras are "watching" all the time. Someone can walk up to the side of your car or anything that hits the doors (like another car door) that is NOT covered by the USS and Sentry Mode will record.

EDIT: Here is from the manual:

Screenshot 2022-12-06 at 4.51.37 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Dewg
I'm afraid you are mistaken. From Tesla:

Sentry Mode adds a unique layer of protection to Tesla vehicles by continuously monitoring the environment around a car when it’s left unattended. When enabled, Sentry Mode enters a “Standby” state, like many home alarm systems, which uses the car’s external cameras to detect potential threats. If a minimal threat is detected, such as someone leaning on a car, Sentry Mode switches to an “Alert” state and displays a message on the touchscreen warning that its cameras are recording. If a more severe threat is detected, such as someone breaking a window, Sentry Mode switches to an “Alarm” state, which activates the car alarm, increases the brightness of the center display, and plays music at maximum volume from the car’s audio system.

This whole story reminds me of how I was just about to upgrade my Raven with Plaid and then I saw the half-wheel (“yoke” is somewhat of a misname). Glad I stayed with the Raven and mad as hell that I allowed an update to remove the radar.

I’m one of the 0.5% of people (according to Teslafi) who are still holding strong on 2022.20.8. Kind of surprised it’s not a higher number with all of the drama around disabling radar.

There is no way to go back. Otherwise, the number would be higher.

Right, I meant I’m surprised the number of people who decided to update would be higher. I’d assume that people who are savvy enough to link their cars to teslafi would be the same type of person who would be active on forums which would make them more likely to know radar was being disabled.

Still makes me mad thinking about how Tesla handled that. They lost so many reputation points in my book.

The other update, is about enabling other sensors (especially in Europe) for Sentry. The cameras are otherwise always on for Sentry detection.

From link from other thread discussing the update:
"The first is the ability to turn off camera-based detection so that Sentry Mode will only save recordings that are triggered by intrusion, such as a glass breaking, a door opening, or the vehicle's tilt sensor being triggered (only available in some markets)."

AFAIK Tesla has never said they used USS for Sentry.

Reactions: Dewg
This can't be correct. The cameras are "watching" all the time. Someone can walk up to the side of your car or anything that hits the doors (like another car door) that is NOT covered by the USS and Sentry Mode will record.

EDIT: Here is from the manual:

View attachment 882181
“Cameras and sensors” - pretty ambiguous. Can be interpreted either way but ‘sensors if equipped’ makes it sound like it does use the ultrasonic sensors

So, please explain how my sentry mode recordings start well before anyone has gotten near my car. Often there is like 30 seconds of no activity before I see someone appear crossing in front of the car.

Does a Tesla have the ability to travel back in time to turn on the cameras and start recording before it was triggered by the USS sensors? Please explain how the cameras record images before they have been turned on.

• Funny
Reactions: Mikecm1
“Cameras and sensors” - pretty ambiguous. Can be interpreted either way but ‘sensors if equipped’ makes it sound like it does use the ultrasonic sensors
Reread my post and the quote and you will see I was replying to the incorrect statement that the cameras were off in Sentry Mode monitoring.

Also the sensors could be accelerometer and glass breakage detection. Maybe even USS but the cameras are used.

Last edited:
Reactions: sleepydoc
So, please explain how my sentry mode recordings start well before anyone has gotten near my car. Often there is like 30 seconds of no activity before I see someone appear crossing in front of the car.

Does a Tesla have the ability to travel back in time to turn on the cameras and start recording before it was triggered by the USS sensors? Please explain how the cameras record images before they have been turned on.

Editing my post because I didnt read the context here. Carry on!

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Eto Demerzel
Surely if Tesla decides Radar is suddenly needed and adds radar next month,

They will offer a retrofit for those who bought our cars recently without radar….

Right?

>>> I realize this likely won’t happen, but am getting tired of Tesla making constant promises and never delivering
It’s worse than that, if they say this new radar is required, and it’s a big “if”, then they need to retrofit it to everyone who’s bought FSD, just like computer and some camera upgrades.

Have Tesla removed the promise that cars now have all the hardware required? I’ve not seen it for ages, it might have gone when they decided HW3 was “full Self driving computer”.