Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Roadside Assistance - appalling

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being a cynic I'd say that the roadside assistance provided by most manufacturers is intended to be a safety net to let them mop up any stinkers that slip through factory QC while avoiding a PR incident.
Not at all in my experience. It’s intended to be a safety net to keep their customers safe (priority one) and mobile.

It’s Tesla’s service that stinks and this one experience is enough for me to be done with the brand. A charmless and average car with zero product back up, never again.

If you've got a local friendly mechanic it's just a brake, should be an easy job for them..

But Tesla should be proactive in sorting this kind of thing, and I agree there's little point in roadside assistance if they don't assist at the roadside.
Yep, I will take it to a local tyre place tomorrow if I can’t loosen it with a short drive tonight.

But yeah, shouldn’t have to. Should have had it resolved by lunchtime whilst i worked. Not the kind of hassle expected with a new car with full coverage.

As others have stated, I feel this is a case of not knowing what is and isn't covered by the product and assuming it is a replacement for breakdown cover.

Having a quick look at the Roadside Assistance policy would indicate to me this isn't covered as its not preventing the vehicle from moving.

I would try and pickup a breakdown package with your insurance, or one provided with a bank such as AA with Nationwide.

EDIT: Also further to this, if it wasn't fixed I was going to ask where you were as I have a LP jack, pucks and a torque wrench so could have had the wheel off in a jiffy.

As others have stated, I feel this is a case of not knowing what is and isn't covered by the product and assuming it is a replacement for breakdown cover.

Having a quick look at the Roadside Assistance policy would indicate to me this isn't covered as its not preventing the vehicle from moving.

I would try and pickup a breakdown package with your insurance, or one provided with a bank such as AA with Nationwide.

EDIT: Also further to this, if it wasn't fixed I was going to ask where you were as I have a LP jack, pucks and a torque wrench so could have had the wheel off in a jiffy.
Thanks so much for the last paragraph, that’s very kind of you to have had that thought.

I don’t disagree that I overestimated the cover. But two points, one that this is not an expected situation with a new car. I’ve always had full coverage elsewhere. I don’t expect to buy a new car and have to source a separate cover policy, I’ve never done that or seen that suggested for any other brand. It’s just another example of Tesla being worse.

Second, nobody at Tesla was communicating. They say communicate with service by text. But they don’t reply. That’s the bit that’s really poor.

There are people on here that will tell you that a Tesla is a premium or even luxury ( 🤣🤣🤣) product. They’re deluded.

I might have considered a Model X refresh and become a two Tesla family. Instead I’m done and beyond repairs and servicing they won’t see another penny of my money. I’d dump the car today for another second hand EV if it hadn’t depreciated over 30% in 3 months.

I have a gravel drive and this is a common occurrence on both our Model 3 and Land Rover Discovery. The first time it happened was indeed worrying however, with experience, I realised that if the stone will go in, it will also drop out. A few times forward and reverse generally does the trick.
Cheers, yes I don’t blame the car for this happening. I was unable to shake it out in probably 30 times of reversing and driving forwards, using Tesla’s recommended push the shield about method, or on quite a big drive around the estate with a mixture of inclines and corners. Having beaten the odds and never having had this issue before I couldn’t even be 100% sure that was the issue although I was 98% there.

Discovery, proper car that 👍

Glad you got it sorted.

I can't be the only person a bit incredulous that a stone caught in your brakes took you from being a satisfied customer (one presumes) to one that basically hates the brand, though. it sounds a bit hyperbolic.

I can sympathise with the expectations being out of alignment relative to other brands you've had experience with, buying cars of a similar price. It is very much the case with Tesla that the whole customer facing experience from car pickup (pretty much "here's your key card your car is over there in the rain, good luck!") to the fact that all communications go via open service requests can be a jarring experience for people who have been used to - and enjoy - the red carpet, silk sheet covering their new car, wine & flowers for the missus treatment (not saying this is you - but it's a sentiment that has been expressed elsewhere in the same context of criticism of Tesla's customer facing attitude).

I would also concede that I haven't really had any issues with my car, and the ones I have had have gone via service requests and communications have been "as expected". I haven't had an acute problem such as the one you've experienced, or one where it's open to intepretation as to whether Tesla should be responsible for helping sort out - e.g. flat tyres.

That's not a criticism, just a reflection of expectations being out of whack for Tesla vs other brands at a similar price point. I would say that you could make a compelling argument that they'll need to recalibrate this attitude towards accessibility to customers as competition increases.

I think this is the first time I’ve ever been stranded without a car in 30+ years.

Left home this morning and immediately had terrible brake squeal. Returned home and contacted assistance through the phone number.

Told to try the rock and debris fix (disc shield). No issue with that. But it didn’t shift the stone causing the squeal. Tried back and fore driving etc. the noise is terrible.

Called Tesla back and told to book a service appointment. First appointment locally is on the 19th Jan.

Booked the appointment and left a note in the chat asking for something more urgent and explained why. No answer.

Phoned Tesla again, a helpful guy said he would contact the service centre again and hopefully they’d have somoebody with an appointment nearby. No promises but he’d get them to call me back as soon as they could. That was six hours ago.

Car sat on drive all day. Work F2F meetings cancelled. Three phone calls to Tesla and 7 hours from my initial call I’ve got no idea when they will look at my car - apart from two weeks time.

This is dark ages stuff compared with other manufacturers. I will await the fanboys to tell me how wrong I am and how you have to expect bumps in the road when driving the future (aka a pretty average car).
just a question:
when you called Tesla, did you called to book normal appointment or road side assistance who would put car "off the road"?

I had a failing AC converter in my car (1 year ownership, 19k miles...) which meant that I could not charge via 7kw chargers.

short story - I was advised by SC to call roadside assistance, to deem car is off road, cannot be operated. then they try to get you a loaner until this is fixed. Thing is - if the branch does not have a loaner tesla, they can arrange a rental (non-EV probably) for the time being.

Reactions: MashinBenzin
Thanks so much for the last paragraph, that’s very kind of you to have had that thought.

I don’t disagree that I overestimated the cover. But two points, one that this is not an expected situation with a new car. I’ve always had full coverage elsewhere. I don’t expect to buy a new car and have to source a separate cover policy, I’ve never done that or seen that suggested for any other brand. It’s just another example of Tesla being worse.

Second, nobody at Tesla was communicating. They say communicate with service by text. But they don’t reply. That’s the bit that’s really poor.

There are people on here that will tell you that a Tesla is a premium or even luxury ( 🤣🤣🤣) product. They’re deluded.

I might have considered a Model X refresh and become a two Tesla family. Instead I’m done and beyond repairs and servicing they won’t see another penny of my money. I’d dump the car today for another second hand EV if it hadn’t depreciated over 30% in 3 months.
I agree with others who have commented how hyperbolic your reactions to Tesla’s response including @Durzel. You may not like Tesla’s response time but if they can’t book you in they can’t!

We can sugarcoat and make it sound like there is a more nuanced approach Tesla can take or improve. But the truth is a stone stuck in break caliper or whatever definitely does not come under roadside assistance (when you can move the car) or needs a rapid response from Tesla. And that is the end of it. A Range Rover/ Audi will book you in quickly depending on who you know or will ask the mechanic to have a look. But usually this service or the future visits will incur huge bills. They are their to make more money thro their service centres. I think if Tesla starts doing the same then they will become part of the traditional car industry and that is sad.

Glad you got it sorted.

I can't be the only person a bit incredulous that a stone caught in your brakes took you from being a satisfied customer (one presumes) to one that basically hates the brand, though. it sounds a bit hyperbolic.

I can sympathise with the expectations being out of alignment relative to other brands you've had experience with, buying cars of a similar price. It is very much the case with Tesla that the whole customer facing experience from car pickup (pretty much "here's your key card your car is over there in the rain, good luck!") to the fact that all communications go via open service requests can be a jarring experience for people who have been used to - and enjoy - the red carpet, silk sheet covering their new car, wine & flowers for the missus treatment (not saying this is you - but it's a sentiment that has been expressed elsewhere in the same context of criticism of Tesla's customer facing attitude).

I would also concede that I haven't really had any issues with my car, and the ones I have had have gone via service requests and communications have been "as expected". I haven't had an acute problem such as the one you've experienced, or one where it's open to intepretation as to whether Tesla should be responsible for helping sort out - e.g. flat tyres.

That's not a criticism, just a reflection of expectations being out of whack for Tesla vs other brands at a similar price point. I would say that you could make a compelling argument that they'll need to recalibrate this attitude towards accessibility to customers as competition increases.
It might be hyperbolic, but basically I don’t have any reason to be loyal to the brand, so little things will make or break the chance of repeat business. The car is ok, nothing special, nothing terrible. The service is poor. That adds up to look elsewhere. Had the service been fantastic that might add up to, wow the Tesla way of doing customer service really works and made me a brand advocate.

I haven’t really discussed this much with my wife, but in passing this morning she said “hmm, I don’t think a Tesla will be my next car after all”.

People in the thread are very focused on the problem and the assumption of what it was. My gripe is the inability to have a proper conversation. The Tesla folk I spoke to were fine, not pushing me from contacting them, but they just weren’t the ones that could tell me if I could be seen earlier. Nobody, outside of a few in this thread who just need me to be wrong, told me that this wasn’t something Tesla would look at.

Tesla service called me this morning and apologised for the lack of contact yesterday. They confirmed that they could fit me in for a mobile visit early next week. That’s all the conversation I needed to have yesterday.

You said “ I would say that you could make a compelling argument that they'll need to recalibrate this attitude towards accessibility to customers as competition increases “. Exactly that.

I agree with others who have commented how hyperbolic your reactions to Tesla’s response including @Durzel. You may not like Tesla’s response time but if they can’t book you in they can’t!

We can sugarcoat and make it sound like there is a more nuanced approach Tesla can take or improve. But the truth is a stone stuck in break caliper or whatever definitely does not come under roadside assistance (when you can move the car) or needs a rapid response from Tesla. And that is the end of it. A Range Rover/ Audi will book you in quickly depending on who you know or will ask the mechanic to have a look. But usually this service or the future visits will incur huge bills. They are their to make more money thro their service centres. I think if Tesla starts doing the same then they will become part of the traditional car industry and that is sad.
How do you know for sure that it’s a stone stuck in a brake. And how do you know for sure that where it is stuck is not problematic or likely to cause damage? I will know the first answer next time, as I’ve now experienced it.

Land Rover would send a guy in a van so your assumption is off beam.

just a question:
when you called Tesla, did you called to book normal appointment or road side assistance who would put car "off the road"?

I had a failing AC converter in my car (1 year ownership, 19k miles...) which meant that I could not charge via 7kw chargers.

short story - I was advised by SC to call roadside assistance, to deem car is off road, cannot be operated. then they try to get you a loaner until this is fixed. Thing is - if the branch does not have a loaner tesla, they can arrange a rental (non-EV probably) for the time being.
Roadside assistance initially twice.

Thanks for sharing your story. You got the service that I am saying should be available to anyone - which is to talk to the service centre and gain their advice.

My opinion is that a) roadside assistance should have covered this and b) I should have been able to talk to the service centre. Two major gripes.

How do you know for sure that it’s a stone stuck in a brake. And how do you know for sure that where it is stuck is not problematic or likely to cause damage? I will know the first answer next time, as I’ve now experienced it.

Land Rover would send a guy in a van so your assumption is off beam.
I am sorry I had series of land rovers/Ranger/jaguars. I will never go back to them even though I love their cars the reason for not going back is their service centres. Btw it is not just one centre, they just make money. You can check in their forums regarding their guy in a van service. May be it worked for you but didn’t work for lots of others and the same principle applies for Tesla. May be not a car for you but for lots of others who doesn’t want a third party dealer swindling money in the name of service. Some chivalry and red carpet welcome is clearly a red flag!

I am sorry I had series of land rovers/Ranger/jaguars. I will never go back to them even though I love their cars the reason for not going back is their service centres. Btw it is not just one centre, they just make money. You can check in their forums regarding their guy in a van service. May be it worked for you but didn’t work for lots of others and the same principle applies for Tesla. May be not a car for you but for lots of others who doesn’t want a third party dealer swindling money in the name of service. Some chivalry and red carpet welcome is clearly a red flag!
You’ve bought a car with the highest profit margin in the industry. So automakers are allowed to make high profits (I won’t use your hyperbolic term “swindle”) but dealers are not? How do you define which parts of capitalism you support and which you prefer to see run on a non-profit basis?

No red flag for me, LR promised a good service and delivered on it. The dealer I used was excellent. Land Rover Assist was exceptional.

ETA - I spent a lot of time on LR forums so very familiar with the ups and downs. Interesting thing there is that owners are allowed to express negative or positive views on the product/service, quite different to how things are on this forum.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.