Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sales continue downwards trend in Europe

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Article is behind paywall but key for UK:

"In the UK, Tesla registrations fell 25% in April and have slumped 14% in the first four months of the year."

Germany also bad:

"While most brands have struggled with the pullback of incentives in Germany — Europe’s biggest car market — Tesla underperformed peers last month. Overall EV registrations were broadly flat, whereas Tesla’s sales plunged 32%."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-05-22/tesla-tsla-europe-sales-fall-to-15-month-low-in-slow-start-to-q2

Maybe random price changes, firing supercharger team, giving other EV's access to Superchargers plus Musk himself isn't working well for Tesla currently. Or maybe deleting the stalks on the Highland is the cause ;)

Guess I can look forward to Tesla slashing £10k of the price of a Model 3 just after I pick it up and the return window closes :)

Reactions: MD70
The EV landscape has transformed over the past few years. When the Model 3 was added to the Tesla range in 2019 there were few other options available to potential customers whereas in 2024 we appear to have (according to Bookmygarage What Electric Cars Are Available in the UK? (2024) | BookMyGarage) :
  • Abarth 500e
  • Audi e-tron
  • Audi e-tron GT
  • Audi Q4 e-tron
  • BMW i4
  • BMW I5
  • BMW i7
  • BMW iX
  • BMW iX1
  • BMW iX3
  • BYD Dolphin
  • BYD SEAL
  • Citroën Ami
  • Citroën ë-Berlingo
  • Citroën ë-C4
  • Citroën ë-Spacetourer
  • Cupra Born
  • DS 3 Crossback E-Tense
  • DS 3 E-Tense
  • Fiat 500e
  • Ford Mustang Mach-E
  • Genesis G80
  • Genesis GV60
  • Genesis GV70
  • Honda e
  • Hyundai Ioniq 5
  • Hyundai Ioniq 6
  • Hyundai Kona Electric
  • Jaguar I-Pace
  • Jaguar I-Pace EV400
  • Kia e-Niro
  • Kia EV6
  • KIA EV9
  • Kia Soul EV
  • Lexus UX300e
  • Maxis MIFA 9
  • Maxus eDeliver 3
  • Maxus eDeliver 9
  • Mazda MX-30
  • Mercedes-Benz EQA
  • Mercedes-Benz EQB
  • Mercedes-Benz EQC
  • Mercedes-Benz EQE
  • Mercedes-Benz EQS
  • Mercedes-Benz EQS SUV
  • Mercedes-Benz EQV
  • MG ZS EV
  • MG4 EV
  • MG5 EV
  • MINI Electric
  • Nissan Ariya
  • Nissan Leaf
  • ORA Funky Cat
  • Peugeot 3008
  • Peugeot e-2008
  • Peugeot e-208
  • Peugeot e-Rifter
  • Peugeot e-Traveller
  • Polestar 2
  • Polestar 3
  • Porsche Taycan
  • Renault Kangoo Van e-Tech
  • Renault Master e-Tech
  • Renault Megane e-Tech
  • Renault Zoe
  • Škoda ENYAQ Coupe iV
  • Škoda ENYAQ iV
  • Smart fortwo EV
  • Subaru Solterra
  • Tesla Model 3
  • Tesla Model S
  • Tesla Model X
  • Tesla Model Y
  • Toyota BZ4x
  • Toyota Proace Electric
  • Vauxhall Combo-e Life
  • Vauxhall Corsa-e
  • Vauxhall Mokka-e
  • Vauxhall Movano Electric
  • Vauxhall Vivaro-e Life
  • Volkswagen ID.3
  • Volkswagen ID.4
  • Volkswagen ID.4 GTX
  • Volkswagen ID.5
  • Volkswagen ID.Buzz
  • Volvo C40 Recharge
  • Volvo EX30
  • Volvo EX90
  • Volvo XC40 Recharge

Yes lots more options. I think the Tesla is a compelling option but almost all others are available on 0% APR and those companies if they also sell ICE’s almost need to give them away because if they don’t hit 22% of sales being EV’s they get a £15k fine per car ICE sold where they missed that target.

Outside of heavily discounting them, if they cannot shift enough some of those makes will likely just stop selling ICE cars to avoid those fines. Probably push up the price of ICE’s when they become harder to get hands on.

Either way though, Tesla with their higher APR deals is hurting. They need to get both their cars here onto 0% APR. Maybe need a lower cost car. Kind of like a Model 2…

There a bunch of other EVs hitting the market now or very shortly...
  • Porsche Macan
  • Audi A6 Avant e-tron
  • Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer Electric
  • Peugeot E-308 SW
  • BMW i5 Touring
  • VW ID.7 Estate
  • Renault 5
  • Polestar 4
  • MG Cyberster
Even the little Microlino bubble car now has a UK distributor.

I won't even mention the cavalcade of Chinese makes knocking on the door like Xpeng and NIO.

Meanwhile Tesla offer just the M3 and MY. Good luck chaps.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and Ricecooker
Its about time Tesla /Musk got a bloody nose, Musk is toxic and perhaps the way he treats his customers is now being reflected in sales.
When Tesla had no competition Musk just did whatever came into his head - and there were no consequences, From trying to produce the most comprehensive - and best car they could the penny pinching started - and he got away with everything.
Then the absolute dishonesty started, encouraged customers to pick up their car early and receive 6000 miles free supercharging - and within weeks slashed the prices of the cars by up to £8K.

I sincerely hope the drop in sales - even partly, is due to the highland and the stalks going.

I hope the drop in sales will gird Tesla into improving service centres, parts availability and a return in ethos to building the best they can.

However, I've said it before - and I believe it to be true - Tesla will not be a car manufacturer by 2030 unless they have been taken over or Musk quits from Tesla completely.

There a bunch of other EVs hitting the market now or very shortly...
  • Porsche Macan
  • Audi A6 Avant e-tron
  • Vauxhall Astra Sports Tourer Electric
  • Peugeot E-308 SW
  • BMW i5 Touring
  • VW ID.7 Estate
  • Renault 5
  • Polestar 4
  • MG Cyberster
Even the little Microlino bubble car now has a UK distributor.

I won't even mention the cavalcade of Chinese makes knocking on the door like Xpeng and NIO.

Meanwhile Tesla offer just the M3 and MY. Good luck chaps.
Don't forget the Dacia Spring and BYD Seagull coming in at the lower price point too.

I guess increasing competition is the main reason, together with an industry-wide dip in EV sales generally. But OTOH, Tesla’s limited range of cars (only two models in the UK) doesn’t help. I still think the 3 and Y are the best overall options in their class though, even if other cars are better than them in some areas (like ride quality or interior fit and finish). If Tesla have any sense they’ll stop opening up the SuCs for other brands since it remains a highly valuable asset to them that will sway new EV buyers into their camp.

Reactions: MD70
Musk doesn’t want to be in the car game any longer. That much is perfectly clear.
Yeah my take also. He was fine with it when car shipments were growing and business was good there while still focusing on AI and later Robotics. However the car side of the business is starting to look more like a liability to the stock price and won’t help achieve his goal of taking it higher.

Musk will drop their original marketing goal of accelerating the planet to green transport like a hot potato. The real goal is accelerating Musk and other shareholders net worth, same as any other company. Being an EV company won’t cut it anymore.

Reactions: mtndrew1
My gripe with Tesla is nothing to do with Mr Musk. I honestly can't jump into the hate-everything-he-does camp that seems so popular these days.

It's the ergonomics, the lack of stalks, the absence of buttons, the changing UI, the auto-wipers that don't work and all the usual gripes I've had for a few years that put me off recommending Teslas.

BUT.... I'll be damned if I five years into my Model 3 ownership I don't still mutter "God, I love this car!" every once in a while (especially when needing an acceleration boost for whatever reason).
If their profit margins are as awesome as claimed, perhaps it's time they started dropping prices.

Last edited:
Article is behind paywall but key for UK:

"In the UK, Tesla registrations fell 25% in April and have slumped 14% in the first four months of the year."

Germany also bad:

"While most brands have struggled with the pullback of incentives in Germany — Europe’s biggest car market — Tesla underperformed peers last month. Overall EV registrations were broadly flat, whereas Tesla’s sales plunged 32%."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2024-05-22/tesla-tsla-europe-sales-fall-to-15-month-low-in-slow-start-to-q2

Maybe random price changes, firing supercharger team, giving other EV's access to Superchargers plus Musk himself isn't working well for Tesla currently. Or maybe deleting the stalks on the Highland is the cause ;)

Guess I can look forward to Tesla slashing £10k of the price of a Model 3 just after I pick it up and the return window closes :)
You can't see through that propaganda?

April (first month of quarter - always lowest). "Down 2.3% since April 2023" - that's pretty minor considering everything that's happening right now. Germany removed subsidies + resale gimmick. UK economy looking a bit ropey, transport (ships + car carrier HGVs) hard to get, routing has to avoid Red Sea.

First 3 months of 2024 (2024Q1) is Tesla's second best market share since 2019/2020. That's over 4 years ago!

Always count on Bloomberg / Reuters / Business Insider / Daily Mail to peddle nonsense.

Source:- Electric Vehicle registrations in Europe: 15 countries, majority of BEV market

1716543397575.png

Attachments

• 1716542606622.png
    1716542606622.png
    156.5 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Lack of model choice was definitely a factor for us. We already have a Y. It’s great. But if you want something a bit bigger, or just a bit different, you have no options in the UK (LHD is not a serious option in my book, M3 just a bit too small for us). Life is too short to have 2 of the same car on the drive.

If you are a fan of one of the German makes you have multitude of options (some good, some sh!t).

Unfortunately I can’t see that changing anytime soon here. Model 3 estate? No chance. Model X RHD. No chance. Cybertruck-lite - No chance.

You can't see through that propaganda?

April (first month of quarter - always lowest). "Down 2.3% since April 2023" - that's pretty minor considering everything that's happening right now. Germany removed subsidies + resale gimmick. UK economy looking a bit ropey, transport (ships + car carrier HGVs) hard to get, routing has to avoid Red Sea.

First 3 months of 2024 (2024Q1) is Tesla's second best market share since 2019/2020. That's over 4 years ago!

Always count on Bloomberg / Reuters / Business Insider / Daily Mail to peddle nonsense.

Source:- Electric Vehicle registrations in Europe: 15 countries, majority of BEV market

View attachment 1050033
But isn't that also misleading? I mean the EU is forcing companies to sell EVs and those market share dynamics don't include any Chinese firms that are looking to capture 25% of the EU market (CCP mandate). I would say maybe the original article is misleading and they put Tesla in to draw clicks but the graph above does not fill me with warm and fuzzies. There is a lot of data missing because the numbers don't add up to 100% and more competition is coming. In fact by my count the graph captures less than 60% of registrations. It's looks higher than BMW and VW and Renault but the reality is that something is missing from the graph and that seems of import. Compare to 2019 when the graph captures over 90% of ev registrations.

If we graph other it would have 40% marketshare? That is from less than 10% in 2019. Other is what you should watch.

• Funny
Reactions: WarpedOne
But isn't that also misleading? I mean the EU is forcing companies to sell EVs and those market share dynamics don't include any Chinese firms that are looking to capture 25% of the EU market (CCP mandate). I would say maybe the original article is misleading and they put Tesla in to draw clicks but the graph above does not fill me with warm and fuzzies. There is a lot of data missing because the numbers don't add up to 100% and more competition is coming. In fact by my count the graph captures less than 60% of registrations. It's looks higher than BMW and VW and Renault but the reality is that something is missing from the graph and that seems of import. Compare to 2019 when the graph captures over 90% of ev registrations.

If we graph other it would have 40% marketshare? That is from less than 10% in 2019. Other is what you should watch.
Previous graph was top 8 car Brands. I switched to top 8 Groups & there's probably the answer - lots of VW/Stellantis/Hyundai brands that have near-clones. Plus so many more smaller brands than North America has. MG is a big seller but SAIC isn't in the top 8 Groups

Not as rosy for Tesla, but pretty good, beating VW Group for only the third time in 4 years.

[Edit: I just reloaded below page and numbers all different, Tesla at 1,3,5,6,8 on most viewed. Out of 356 available now & upcoming. I'd argue that's even better for Tesla popularity]
List of 209 available & 253 total (including upcoming) Models of EV cars in UK - more in Norway/left-hand drive markets - https://ev-database.org/

For a LONG time (years) - the default sort of "most viewed" didn't have Tesla near the top. Now?

1, 2, 6, 7 most viewed are Tesla. This has changed dramatically.

Only the MG4 is much cheaper (by most viewed), Hyundai's are older models (but maybe refreshed plus extra 7.5 kWh for similar cost to base Model 3. Of course it's FROM that price, options may price it above Tesla for similar spec if it can be specified in same way as a Tesla) - see final image below

1716544895638.png

1716545791266.png

Updated UK car list by "most viewed"
1716546597395.png

Last edited:
The EV landscape has transformed over the past few years. When the Model 3 was added to the Tesla range in 2019 there were few other options available to potential customers whereas in 2024 we appear to have (according to Bookmygarage What Electric Cars Are Available in the UK? (2024) | BookMyGarage) :
  • Abarth 500e
  • Audi e-tron
  • Audi e-tron GT
  • Audi Q4 e-tron
  • BMW i4
  • BMW I5
  • BMW i7
  • BMW iX
  • BMW iX1
  • BMW iX3
  • BYD Dolphin
  • BYD SEAL
  • Citroën Ami
  • Citroën ë-Berlingo
  • Citroën ë-C4
  • Citroën ë-Spacetourer
  • Cupra Born
  • DS 3 Crossback E-Tense
  • DS 3 E-Tense
  • Fiat 500e
  • Ford Mustang Mach-E
  • Genesis G80
  • Genesis GV60
  • Genesis GV70
  • Honda e
  • Hyundai Ioniq 5
  • Hyundai Ioniq 6
  • Hyundai Kona Electric
  • Jaguar I-Pace
  • Jaguar I-Pace EV400
  • Kia e-Niro
  • Kia EV6
  • KIA EV9
  • Kia Soul EV
  • Lexus UX300e
  • Maxis MIFA 9
  • Maxus eDeliver 3
  • Maxus eDeliver 9
  • Mazda MX-30
  • Mercedes-Benz EQA
  • Mercedes-Benz EQB
  • Mercedes-Benz EQC
  • Mercedes-Benz EQE
  • Mercedes-Benz EQS
  • Mercedes-Benz EQS SUV
  • Mercedes-Benz EQV
  • MG ZS EV
  • MG4 EV
  • MG5 EV
  • MINI Electric
  • Nissan Ariya
  • Nissan Leaf
  • ORA Funky Cat
  • Peugeot 3008
  • Peugeot e-2008
  • Peugeot e-208
  • Peugeot e-Rifter
  • Peugeot e-Traveller
  • Polestar 2
  • Polestar 3
  • Porsche Taycan
  • Renault Kangoo Van e-Tech
  • Renault Master e-Tech
  • Renault Megane e-Tech
  • Renault Zoe
  • Škoda ENYAQ Coupe iV
  • Škoda ENYAQ iV
  • Smart fortwo EV
  • Subaru Solterra
  • Tesla Model 3
  • Tesla Model S
  • Tesla Model X
  • Tesla Model Y
  • Toyota BZ4x
  • Toyota Proace Electric
  • Vauxhall Combo-e Life
  • Vauxhall Corsa-e
  • Vauxhall Mokka-e
  • Vauxhall Movano Electric
  • Vauxhall Vivaro-e Life
  • Volkswagen ID.3
  • Volkswagen ID.4
  • Volkswagen ID.4 GTX
  • Volkswagen ID.5
  • Volkswagen ID.Buzz
  • Volvo C40 Recharge
  • Volvo EX30
  • Volvo EX90
  • Volvo XC40 Recharge
Tesla was never every going to retain its market share but the idea was that the size of the market would go up so that a smaller market share would still equal greater sales. No one new what a blood bath China would turn into and Europe is basically forcing its manufactures to sell at a loss or be fined.
I'd say Tesla still rules the roost in the US but the US is hyper politicised and the typical US EV buyer may genuinely be put of the some of the stuff Musk spouts these days.
So its tough times all round.

MY RWD in Australia is now £30K on the road as of today apparently

Tesla was never every going to retain its market share but the idea was that the size of the market would go up so that a smaller market share would still equal greater sales. No one new what a blood bath China would turn into and Europe is basically forcing its manufactures to sell at a loss or be fined.
I'd say Tesla still rules the roost in the US but the US is hyper politicised and the typical US EV buyer may genuinely be put of the some of the stuff Musk spouts these days.
So its tough times all round.

MY RWD in Australia is now £30K on the road as of today apparently

Seems Tesla is winning in Europe according to 2024Q1 stats which I'm surprised at because of the headwinds of parts & car logistics and other factors.

Musk knew what was happening in China & he prepared both China and other Tesla teams. Norway has recently had another 10% or so price cut, maybe Rest of Europe will follow & Hyundai group can't compete, maybe even MG is only marginally cheaper.

There's also claims of inventory down on previous 90 days (quarter). Inventory includes cars in transit, stuck in ports awaiting transport and avoiding Red Sea must mean a lot more cars in transit.

Tesla new inventory counts:
US = 6297 (-1010 on 7D ago, +247 on 28D ago, -247 on 90D ago),
Europe = 4605 (-597 on 7D ago, -762 on 28D ago, -1189 on 90D ago),
ROW = 443 (-17 on 7D ago, +21 on 28D ago, +129 on 90D ago).