Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla says it can't be done: But it can: new higher resolution rear camera

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Follow up to my post above. If you are not familiar, a few years ago artsci on this forum designed a lighted rear applique. Its amazing. It spells out TESLA in special neolight leds and lights up depending on reverse, brake lights, turn signals even (manually) you can make the letters flash green when you car is charging. Very cool.

Back to my update. One of the items of spare parts that they offer for installation or reinstallation is shown at this link.
Replacement Parts - Tesla Lights On this site, you can order the cut to fit double sided tape for the ends of your regular applique.

I bought and installed one of the first two MC Red appliques that were made. That was in 2013. I used it on my 2013 S for 4 years then moved it to my 2017 S. Still works. The second best mod I have made to my S.

The folks around us; behind us or trying to pass us are beginning to not notice how fantastic Teslas are. They are getting more common on the streets. When someone is sitting behind me at a traffic light, I can see the grins and pointing at my trunk while my center section of the lighted rear applique is sweeping the lights on and off from right to left or left to right when my turn signal are on. While the cars are beginning to become common, the light effects still surprise and amuse those folks behind mine.

Ok I just ordered a C version back up camera from ebay to install on my 14 model s, which I assume has the A version. I recently drove a 19 loaner and could really notice better resolution on the newer cameras. Whats the best way to get the old camera out and new one in? Can it really be done by just pulling out a the grab handle on the trunk lid?

Ok I just ordered a C version back up camera from ebay to install on my 14 model s, which I assume has the A version. I recently drove a 19 loaner and could really notice better resolution on the newer cameras. Whats the best way to get the old camera out and new one in? Can it really be done by just pulling out a the grab handle on the trunk lid?
I've done this before. It's a two part job "the easy way"-

1) remove the left pull cup from the trunk lid. It's hard. Use a spudger tool. Once removed, you can reach your hand into the trunk lid and find the camera disconnect. Use lots of curse words and yelling as you figure out how to disconnect the quick release latch.

2) then you have to remove the camera from the trunk lid. This is a little harder and takes some patience, but it's straight forward. There are three screws you need to remove from the Chrome "appliqué" (the Chrome piece that says "Tesla" on the trunk lid). Then remove the two camera screws holding the camera on. Then you'll need to use floss or thin string to slide under the Chrome appliqué and detach the double sided tape along the entire length of the appliqué. You'll need to buy some 3m double sided automotive tape to replace what you remove.

• Informative
Reactions: Akikiki and hydro
There are three screws you need to remove from the Chrome "appliqué" (the Chrome piece that says "Tesla" on the trunk lid).

I don't remember there being any screws holding on the applique on either of my cars (P85+ and P85d) -- only the four push plug clips @Akikiki mentioned and the 3M tape. Maybe on newer cars there are screws?

Also, anyone swapping the cameras out might want to read this: Comparing four different front camera setups The differenes aren't so great. I believe they're mostly a placebo effect. The 'hires' camera Rev 'B' in my tests (with the separate lens and smaller body) has the same resolution of the older cameras, it just has slightly better low-light sensitivity. (there's a thread with the specs for each camera around here somewhere that show this). I haven't seen the specs for Rev 'C' anywhere. And for all the cameras, you're still limited by the resolution of the MCU screen. Also, no MCU1 cars have sentry mode, so does having a perceived higher resolution camera really needed just for backing up? :) If it makes you feel better to have a marginally better camera back there, by all means do it. I just don't get the need.

Last edited:
Reactions: Akikiki and ohmman
I've removed my appliques a couple of times, to replace the applique with a lighted one. Not removing the camera. But as I recall, just because you can remove the screws, does not mean the camera is without applique provides a graceful egress. If you have the replacement camera, you can see the metal mount is awkward shape.

Guys -- hires or not, you're still limited by the resolution of the touchscreen. The 'hires' camera might look better to some people, but in a double-blind test, I'd bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Also, even if you could tell a difference, do you really need that kind of resolution just to not back into a curb or bollard? We're not watching 4k movies on an 84" screen here. :rolleyes:

Guys -- hires or not, you're still limited by the resolution of the touchscreen. The 'hires' camera might look better to some people, but in a double-blind test, I'd bet you wouldn't be able to tell the difference. Also, even if you could tell a difference, do you really need that kind of resolution just to not back into a curb or bollard? We're not watching 4k movies on an 84" screen here. :rolleyes:
Agreed... but why not

Reactions: HankLloydRight