Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Says Model 3 Will Be On Sale 2017 Alongside Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Somehow, I doubt Canadians will decide to 'settle' for a base configuration of Porsche Cayenne instead. Though the fully loaded Model X P90D may well have an 'astronomical' price, it is still several thousand dollars less than a Cayenne Turbo S -- $157,300 to start, USD -- which goes even higher with more options. I do find it strange that those in media keep quoting the highest price point for Tesla Motors vehicles, but the lowest price points for their competitors.
Not taking anything away from the X the Porsche is a sure thing. Quality and luxury is all over the board. Canadian prices will kill the Model X in Canada...

Luckily Tesla only promised a Model 3 price point in USD. The strong dollar makes that easier because of cheaper components. Makes it harder to sell outside the US, though.
Well said. At 35K in the US it will be 45K cdn bare naked! It's all about the market and at least 45K if not more when it's gonna hit the market here in Canada it's way too much. Don't forget there supposed to sell half a million of these in the world...good luck.

Well said. At 35K in the US it will be 45K cdn bare naked! It's all about the market and at least 45K if not more when it's gonna hit the market here in Canada it's way too much. Don't forget there supposed to sell half a million of these in the world...good luck.

Depends on how you view it's competition. Tesla is aiming for the BMW 3 series so the pricing I feel is right online with what BMW has to offer. Go to BMW.ca and build a 3 series. Easy to hit $55K with options which is what I'm budgeting for and wha to tuck a decent optioned Model 3 will really sell for and given our new EV rebates, I'll go as high as $60K if need be.

Sure, that's not a mass market car like a Civic or a Fusion but it's sure more mass market than a base Model S70 @ $95000...

'At's all right. We down here will buy them all. You guys can try to keep Porsche afloat.
And some people will buy Tesla because it's electric, not because it's the "quality" and "luxury" of a German auto maker.

This would not be possible as the Bolt is suppose to be on sale by late summer early fall 2016, with a 2017 Model . At the very earliest, and based on history Tesla has never been on time for a launch, it would be at least one to two years past this. Unlike other companies Tesla uses actual year for their model Year. So cars made in November by Tesla would be a 2016 model where with other cars like the Bolt it would be a 2017 model. The best estimate for Tesla a Model 3 will be sometime, probably mid-late 2018. This is based if they don't have the delays they have had with the Roadster, Model S and Model X.

Drawings.... Hmmph. Hey @Darryl

image.jpeg

Based on what the Wall Street analysts saw last month in regards to production ramp-up at Fremont, and the super-secret Gigafactory tour, it would not be outside the realm of possibility that Elon has good news for us on Thursday night.

Also, I don't want to start a whole new thread, but feel the need to express angst at the clueless writers spinning out Model 3 articles.....

the repeated line "bigger battery/all-wheel drive likely won't be seen in the first production wave" irks me to no end.

Those are EXACTLY the vehicles that will be FIRST off the line. Two seconds of reading Elon's comments could have told you that.

Reactions: tga
Personally I am hoping that they can better meet their targets this time. I know Tesla is notorious for not meeting target but part of the problem with the Model X was the fancy smancy doors. If the Model 3 stays to a more basic formula there are possibilities that it could be on time. Think about all the items they learned from on the Model S and Model X. You take the stuff that they know they can pull off and build a cheaper car using those methods and they might actually be on time. I know there will be new things they have to work through to get the car cheaper but if they managed to get car designers from other major car companies hopefully they'll have that experience already.

If I think about it the Model 3 should hopefully be all of things they worked through already on the Model S and Model X that can keep the car down in cost PLUS lower cost manufacturing techniques that are already well known in the industry. Perhaps the only major hurdle on this car is the GF.

Q1 2016 until 4/1/16.
Okay, so for Tesla FY== CY. Chevy claimed the end of the year for having cars on the road, we assume CY, even though the MY will be 2017...

I am curious if Tesla will start the first deliveries at the beginning of next year. For the workers at Tesla, and some Owners that live in CA... That way they don't give Chevy too much lead time (marketing...) but don't send out potentially buggy cars to the lay people...