Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Says Model 3 Will Be On Sale 2017 Alongside Chevy Bolt

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I keep hoping the Model 3 is a hatchback like the Kia Spectra5 or Honda Fit, with a front end more like the Model S. The Bolt has too much slope in the rear, which will probably make the back seat hell for any adult. The BMW i3 is just ugly.
I find it unlikely it'll be styled like a traditional hatchback like those. It'll far more likely be a sedan-like hatchback like the Model S. I only hope they make the slope more like a sedan (like 3 series for example) than like a coupe (like 4 series Gran Coupe) in order to make rear headroom acceptable.

Perhaps they might have a traditional hatchback or wagon variant, but I suspect they'll go directly to a CUV instead.

They did say multiple body types, right? And for some reason I'm thinking three, but I don't know if I heard Tesla say it, read it here, or imagined it. What are the chances of them showing multiple body types in March?!

They did say multiple body types, right? And for some reason I'm thinking three, but I don't know if I heard Tesla say it, read it here, or imagined it. What are the chances of them showing multiple body types in March?!

They have talked about multiple body types on the Gen-III platform (not on the Model 3). One is the sedan - Model 3, and one is the CUV - Model Y? More then that is as far as I know not expressed. RoadsterNG might come on the Gen-III platform, and they have hinted on a van and a convertible (both on the Gen-II platform and the Gen-III I think). It's allowed to hope that they show both the Model 3 and the Model Y in March, but not to expect it ;) The van (or perhaps a pick-up truck?) will probably be based on the Model Y (CUV).

No chance. They can only produce one new type in 2018, and some people would wait for the type not produced. Tesla has literally taken years to actually produce a car after showing a public version. They are simply not capable of suddenly producing a variety of vehicles. A couple of years after the 3 they will do the Y. At some point this decade they will produce a new style model S, perhaps on the Model X platform.

No chance. They can only produce one new type in 2018, and some people would wait for the type not produced. Tesla has literally taken years to actually produce a car after showing a public version. They are simply not capable of suddenly producing a variety of vehicles. A couple of years after the 3 they will do the Y. At some point this decade they will produce a new style model S, perhaps on the Model X platform.

Totally agree. Taking Mercedes as an example, they launch the new E-Class now but they will start with the "state" version late this year. And we are talking about MB, one of the biggest in the car industry (and a company with ¿30? current different models).

Then why are they showing both sedan and CUV variants at launch in March? The "split personality" 3 will show they are on the same platform. Why show both and only take orders for one?

Who said they are showing sedan and CUV in March? That's the first time I've heard that.

If they are, one reason would be to hurt Bolt sales. I suppose the calculation could be that they will be sold out on small car production for several years regardless of what they show. Showing multiple cars could also be part of the strategy to minimize the cost of acquiring additional capital.

When Musk shows a car and doesn't deliver for years we don't really know what is going on. Is he actually serious about the dates he gives, or is he just messing with us?

Look at the guy above who thinks full AP is coming this year.

Hah! Chevy is so far behind - full AP coming this year, and Chevy coming out with a cheap "EV" in 2017. No competition. Tesla is so far ahead that no company (except maybe Apple) could come close to their genius. Go Tesla!
What do you mean by "full AP coming this year"?
When I see the words "full AP" I think "autonomous driving", meaning no human intervention required for the vehicle to go from the beginning to end of a navigation route entered by a human, so for example, from a house to a workplace using surface streets and highways.
Only the Google cars can do that right now, and no car manufacturing is currently selling an autonomous driving system in a production vehicle that you can buy.

Then why are they showing both sedan and CUV variants at launch in March? The "split personality" 3 will show they are on the same platform. Why show both and only take orders for one?

Who said they are showing sedan and CUV in March? That's the first time I've heard that.

Agree with tga, first post I've seen that indicates they would show both. Source please.

Too bad real manufacturing doesn't work that way.

Nice to hear that you are more informed then J.B. Straubel in what Tesla is calling their platforms ;)
tesla-jb-straubel-slide-SC-energy-summit-02.jpg.650x0_q70_crop-smart.jpg

This is pure speculations.... And with this added:
(Update: A Tesla Spokesperson called this report “wrong” and that only 1 of the vehicles would be announced in March. She reiterated that Tesla is indeed working on [at least] 2 different Model 3 platform vehicles which we reported previously. Here’s something they were able to verify)