Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sends out delivery delay emails

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
"Early 2019" still on my delivery estimator. I guess that's sufficiently vague as to only need changing sometime during 2019.
My Brazil reservation changed from “mid-2019” to “late 2018” while my US Florida one changed from ”Oct-Dec 2017” to “Nov 2017-Jan 2018”.

If they made those dates intentionally it seems they expect short term delays with a higher ramp up so they’ll probably delivery RWD LR LHD cars in more markets earlier. The unknown is how soon they’ll produce RHD, P and other variants. If I read the tea leaves correctly they’ll raise production levels before introducing any variants that will require production line complexity.

The previous paragraph is giving lots of credit to two date changes, is it not?:oops:

• Informative
Reactions: landis
Same 1 month slip. First Production went from Dec-Feb to Jan-March. Non-Owner reserved online just before the reveal event on 3/31/16. Based on the specifics they shared about the delay and the fact that it's already November, 1 month sounds like more optimism.

Edit: Also, my delivery estimator won't save my preference at the moment.

1 month shift for me as well. Now Dec 17 - Feb 18.

This just does not seem believable. Yes, the date is not inconsistent with the information about the design configuration tool (6-8 weeks) or the guidance that it will take 1-3 months from order to delivery but that means I should be invited to design a car by mid-Jan at the latest.

I hate to say it as a shareholder but a public company CEO should be punished by the markets for the constant over-promise and under-delivery. Then he wants to unveil the semi...:really?

What the hell do I know, I propped up the guy’s equity and lent him $2k for almost two years.
I'm waiting for responses to your post....but there aren't any. Amazing. Good job.

Tesla communicated basically a 3 month delay to the Markets and the Press but now a 1 month delay to the reservation holders. The reason for the difference in my opinion is that Tesla already had some buffer built into the schedule and now that they are farther along with the production they can remove some of that buffer as there is less uncertainty.

Maybe I am being an optimist but I actually feel better about the dates they gave me with a 1 month delay now than I did before. I think it will be the last month of the 3 month range they have up there now, but I do think they will hit this estimate.

My choice of first production has also slipped one month to Feb-Apr 2018. I expect May delivery to be more realistic; this gives more time to work out the production bugs and software so I am not overly bothered.
But the 220 or so Model 3's roaming around the country seem to be just fine. They appear to be bug free. I'm not sure where all of the bug and testing talk is coming from. The Model 3 has been probed and prodded in the field by some thorough folks.

The car is ready. Tesla isn't.

Its production time....not testing time.

RC's and PC's are long gone.

• Love
Reactions: myblubu
I believe Tesla should have pushed the delivery dates out 3 months.....the exact amount of months they pushed out the ramp.
Maybe.... now stick with me here... someone in the room raised their hand and actually suggested something clever and not overpromised....
Hey Elon.... are we more likely to hit 5000 vehicles 2 months late, or 4 months late?
Elon -2 months late.
Ok, so we will project being 3 months late and come in ahead of that projection.
Elon -Is that possible?

I believe Tesla should have pushed the delivery dates out 3 months.....the exact amount of months they pushed out the ramp.
They didn’t push the entire ramp up back by 3 months. They just said they won’t hit 5000/week until three months later. Say they are able to hit 2500/week in December, that’s still a significant number of cars being delivered.

Reactions: UZJedi
They didn’t push the entire ramp up back by 3 months. They just said they won’t hit 5000/week until three months later. Say they are able to hit 2500/week in December, that’s still a significant number of cars being delivered.
Here we go. Dancing with words and presumptions.

And when they miss the 5000 target I will be reminded that Tesla only said they "Expected" to hit 5000/week some time late in the first quarter. <------- Absolutely non definitive...we've played that game before and are playing it now.

"The company said it planned to produce "about 10% fewer" units of its Model S and Model X models in the fourth quarter and reallocate resources to the Model 3, its newest. Tesla expects to hit a Model 3 production rate of 5,000 vehicles a week by late in the first quarter of 2018."

Lets watch the TMC confidence poll concerning delays. (I'm actually shocked). Is this the last major Model 3 delay

Last edited: