Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla sends out delivery delay emails

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My target (CA, online reservation on 3/31, non-owner):

1st Production: was Dec '17 - Feb '18, now Jan - Mar '18, 1 month shift
SR: was Feb - Apr '18, now Early '18, doesn't look like much of a shift
AWD: was Aug - Oct '18, now Sep - Nov '18, 1 month shift

I had to reselect my preference and Save again.

For me at least it clarifies which tax year I will be getting my M3 in, which simplifies several things in my financial planning.

Last edited:
Also only slipped a month and we already knew that since October is long gone, but I wish they would have moved it a couple more months. Much better to under promise, though Elon seems to be a CEO that likes to keep the pressure on himself and his workforce by over promising. Unfortunately his health will probably eventually slow him down whether he likes it or not and constant pressure on the workforce may blow up in his face, too.

Reactions: jsrawa
Also only slipped a month and we already knew that since October is long gone, but I wish they would have moved it a couple more months. Much better to under promise, though Elon seems to be a CEO that likes to keep the pressure on himself and his workforce by over promising. Unfortunately his health will probably eventually slow him down whether he likes it or not and constant pressure on the workforce may blow up in his face, too.
My theory on the discrepancy between the 1 month delay in delivery estimate vs Tesla's3 months delay in hitting 5K/wk, is that Tesla is planning to hit towards the end of the 3 month delivery estimate window. By March, they could be running at close to 5K/wk, so 1 month is ~20K cars, and can make up for all the customer deliveries that they missed in the original 3 months window from Oct-Dec. So if you now have a Nov-Jan window, it's likely they you will get it in Jan, then the Dec-Feb people get it in Feb, and the Jan-Mar people (like me) get it in March.

Another theory on the vagueness of SR being in "Early 2018": since the SR vs LR packs differ mainly in how many cells they put into each module (my understanding), and since they have to redo the HW/SW for module production line, chances are Tesla has only worked out what they need to build the modules for LR pack, and hasn't finished working on revamping the line for the SR packs yet. It may require more SW tweaks, additional validation, and even more tooling tweaks to the module production line, so there is more uncertainty in SR.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: landis and CmdrThor
1 month shift for me as well. Now Dec 17 - Feb 18.

This just does not seem believable. Yes, the date is not inconsistent with the information about the design configuration tool (6-8 weeks) or the guidance that it will take 1-3 months from order to delivery but that means I should be invited to design a car by mid-Jan at the latest.

I hate to say it as a shareholder but a public company CEO should be punished by the markets for the constant over-promise and under-delivery. Then he wants to unveil the semi...:really?

What the hell do I know, I propped up the guy’s equity and lent him $2k for almost two years.

Last edited:
Mine has pushed back 1 month as well, now showing Dec-Feb. First day line waiter, non-owner on the East coast. I doubt I’ll see it in December, but I’ve been waiting 20 months for this thing so I can live with an additional 3-4 months.

Reactions: landis
I am within my original Dual Motor range from after the unveiling of Sep 2018 - Jan 2019. The recently updated date is shifted one month (really the next quarter).

3/31 online, no Tesla, New York

FP:

Feb - Apr 2018

SR:

Mid 2018

Dual motor:

Oct - Dec 2018 vs previous Sep - Nov 2018

Last edited:
I also have been bumped back a month. I find this both not unexpected and no big deal. This is a ground up, brand new model with new tooling, new batteries, new supply chain, etc. 30 days? No biggie. Personally, I am extremely appreciative of Tesla's forthright, honest and transparent attitude towards their customers in keeping us informed and up to speed on their ramp up.

Like it or not we are ALL early adopters. I went through it with the Volt years ago. These types of things are part and parcel with being first to own. We all could easily have avoided any and all of these perceived stresses by simply waiting a couple of years to see where it all shook out. Instead we chose to be on the cutting edge of this technology because we believed in what was being done.

I am as excited now as I was the day I put down my deposit...maybe even more so! It's happening folks! Not without struggles and glitches and delays...but it's happening and I am thrilled to be a part of it.

Oh geeze...I guess that makes me a "fan boy". God I hate that term. Oh well, I'll own it I guess.

East coast day of 31st order 10:48am boston location non owner
bumped back 2 months. Neighbor doesn't believe he'll see the car then.
Only able to configure it then-probably a wise thought to stay positive.

At least you are able to admit what many others won't.
I can't afford the only other alternative electric transportation available to me today...which is also a Tesla. Even if I have to wait double this delay, there won't be a comparable competitive BEV to choose. If you've decided your next wheels will be battery powered like I have, it's a waiting game no matter whose product you expect to buy.

Much better to under promise, though Elon seems to be a CEO that likes to keep the pressure on himself and his workforce by over promising

Exactly right. While it is nice to beat expectations, it is often better to simply achieve the highest level performance possible regardless of whatever expectations are ( within the boundaries of contractual obligations and securities disclosures). So i agree your last point is why he doesn't do your first point.

As a human management psychology matter in order to achieve group performance of x you have to demand performance of x + y. If you just demand merely performance X you will more often just get performance of x -z.

Reactions: landis