Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Sends Software Fix Following Shanghai Model S Fire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Tesla said a Model S fire in Shanghai was caused by a single battery module.

The fire, which broke out in April, attracted international headlines, prompting Tesla to issue an explanation. Additionally, Tesla issued a software update it said will help prevent the failure from occurring in other vehicles.

Tesla said an investigation of the incident included analysis of the car’s batteries, software, manufacturing data, and history. The team ultimately determined that a single battery module led to the car going up in flames.

Tesla’s announced the findings Friday on its official Weibo account.

The new software update changes the charge and thermal management settings for the Model S and Model X. Tesla said the update will not only improve safety, but also longevity of the batteries.

Last edited by a moderator:
The impact has been reduced range.

The fix has had the effect of lowering the maximum battery charge voltage.

It has been observed in some batteries but not others being on the same fix level of software.

I have a hunch "it depends" on actual observations of battery condition in your vehicle, looking at the battery parameters bank by bank.
If a bank is going out-of-spec the whole battery pack charging characteristics are changed (e.g. lower max voltage across the board).

On affected cars, the lower overall state of charge also means lower peak performance too. So maybe "Not So Ludicrous".. and the "Maximum Plaid" is more like "Very High Plaid".

Some people are getting very worried about pushed fixes from Tesla affecting their cars this way, and are looking at creative ways of preventing OTA software "upgrades" in the future.

• Funny
Reactions: Brando
This update has not only slowed the charging speed of my 2015 85D but also the usable space in the battery. I just bought this car in May of this year and stated within the sales information is the range of 270. How is it legal for a auto manufacturer to CHANGE the size of my gas tank without my specific written approval? I am in the process of filing legal action as this increased charging time, decreased range, decreased value, as well as safety.

Tesla you need to take ownership of why this change was made and replace the lost space and range or give me a new battery. I bought a 85D not a 70 or 75 you need to make this right for those affected not wash it under the table.

2015 used Model S; complaining about some battery degradation?
seriously

Get real, sell that Lemon as fast as possible and buy an e-tron or i-Pace. Don't delay.
Things can only improve. Besides the fast chargers of Audi and Jag put Tesla SuperChargers to shame, right??
I am in the process of filing legal action as this increased charging time, decreased range, decreased value, as well as safety.
Please stop whining and do what is best for your family's safety.
DO NOT RISK YOUR FAMILY SAFETY on a used Tesla Model S.:eek:

I may just do that but this is not battery degradation Tesla deliberately reduced the battery capacity and slowed charging. No one has been able to get answers as to why. If they don’t fix it I will be buying something else trust me.

• Love
Reactions: Brando
2015 used Model S; complaining about some battery degradation?
seriously

Get real, sell that Lemon as fast as possible and buy an e-tron or i-Pace. Don't delay.
Things can only improve. Besides the fast chargers of Audi and Jag put Tesla SuperChargers to shame, right??

Please stop whining and do what is best for your family's safety.
DO NOT RISK YOUR FAMILY SAFETY on a used Tesla Model S.:eek:

I complained for years. I ranged about: 22 to 36 mpg (61.11% variation)
22 around town and 36 mpg if I did 55 mph.
Average over time was 27-34 mpg per fill up (79.41% variation)
The best I could read my fuel gauge was about 7% (nearest 1 gallon).
:rolleyes:So I boycotted buying new cars

Seems electric are only slightly better.:D