Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Centres - Is this normal?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The service centres are over worked and they know you have nowhere else to go so in the short term they can treat you like crap and they aren't thinking any further ahead than that.

Agree with this. I also believe that Tesla are slowly realising that 1 service centre in the UK can not accommodate servicing/fixing cars within a radius of 60-100 miles (Sometimes more) of the service centre. It seems they are slowly but surely building new Service centres in new towns/cities but not at a great pace.

Look at all other manufactures, they have service centres (Franchised) in most towns/cities plus all the other independent garages that can fix their brand of car under warranty. Tesla at the moment, does not have this, as we can not go to other independent garages to get warranty fixes. It needs to happen quickly as demand of the brand will (probably) boom, but they need these centres to accomodate our warranty issues and the amount they may/will get.

I mean look at the spread below. I feel sorry for the Penzance/St Ives crew, 160 miles in a straight line to Bristol :/. Wales just looks like it didn't get picked in the line up to play football. There is an huge void (ECHO!) between Leeds and Edinburgh (Although Newcastle may be online soon). And East Anglia......its flat.

Service Centres.JPG

• Funny
Reactions: Durzel
Wales just looks like it didn't get picked in the line up to play football.
I had a good chuckle at this, thanks.

There is also the fact that what are you supposed to do if you end up with a grievance with your local SC? If, when I had my Audi, I ever felt like my local dealer wasn't up to scratch I could go somewhere else within ~20 miles or so. I've got Bristol and then er... Birmingham or London? :(

Reactions: davidmc
I have to say that over a 4 year ownership of Teslas my experience with the Birmingham SC has been amazingly good.

I believe that since the surge in ownership, due mainly to the introduction of the Model 3, Tesla have failed to even attempt to adjust appropriately. The extra income generated by Model 3 sales should easily offset any increases in costs for expanding the service side of their business.

Reactions: Durzel and davidmc
The US customer service thing is a myth. Yes it is excellent when companies want to win your business or need repeated business like in a restaurant but once you sign any kind of long term contract like for internet , cell service or buying a car then, with their weak consumer laws they have got you and it all goes out the window, The service centres are over worked and they know you have nowhere else to go so in the short term they can treat you like crap and they aren't thinking any further ahead than that. Once the competition gets its act together they will have to as well or its game over.
Ok, I understand,t uk only see the likes of Apple.

I feel sorry for the Penzance/St Ives crew,

Me too, poor Cornwall ... and most of Scotland ... because they don't even get map space!;) (You would then see the full geographical reach of the Edinburgh SC which has to cover Northern Ireland as well as the whole of Scotland and northern areas in England.) Mind you despite this I think Edinburgh is generally regarded as one of the better Service Centres from the feedback on this forum.

• Funny
Reactions: davidmc
I don’t actually mind if you don’t have any slots until 29th June or whatever. I appreciate everyone has had to cut down the amount of work they are doing due to Covid etc.

However you have just sold someone a £57.5k car and don’t have the decency to call them back, when clearly their car is not functioning as it should...and then you basically say to them live with it for a month or return the car - we literally don’t care because we are delivering 40 new cars a day. Sounds to me like 20 of those are taking up the slots in the service centre, hence the lack of slots!

It doesn’t just boil down to lack of physical space/slots for work...it’s the way you are spoken to and how you are made to feel. If you feel like a valued customer you are much more likely to buy the same again and recommend to others. It also helps to actually get the work done on the day it’s promised as others have eluded to.

I must say if I had purchased the car with my money and not leased I would have dumped it back at their front door, walked away and never looked back. A product is only as good as the support for it, especially when it comes to something as technically advanced as this.

Reactions: Cyclone1
@TM3P1 at least you are withing brick throwing distance of the SC. :p

Just hope you get sorted soon as the car is just astounding compared to any previous car I have owned and better performing than the BM M3 I drove for some years.
Considering the BM cost £36,000 in 2004 as a two year old, my Model 3 SR+ is cheap comparing apples with pears 16 years later as well as being new.

@TM3P1 at least you are withing brick throwing distance of the SC. :p

Just hope you get sorted soon as the car is just astounding compared to any previous car I have owned and better performing than the BM M3 I drove for some years.
Considering the BM cost £36,000 in 2004 as a two year old, my Model 3 SR+ is cheap comparing apples with pears 16 years later as well as being new.
God I hope he doesn't throw that brick, my car is thereo_O

• Funny
Reactions: Beady3647
I have to say that over a 4 year ownership of Teslas my experience with the Birmingham SC has been amazingly good.

I believe that since the surge in ownership, due mainly to the introduction of the Model 3, Tesla have failed to even attempt to adjust appropriately. The extra income generated by Model 3 sales should easily offset any increases in costs for expanding the service side of their business.
My experience with two services and two repairs of 2017 S75D at Heathrow SC in last two years has also been very good, which is fortunate because it suffered HVAC failure May 2018 (undrivable), loose 12v battery terminal April 2019 (undriveable) and PTC heater failure March 2020. The May 2018 repair took two hours but the car sat waiting for it at Milton Keynes SC for four weeks. I then switched to Heathrow (also easier to get to). SC capacity issues are not new.

Frustration got the better of me and instead of waiting until tomorrow to collect it, I drove back to Birmingham this afternoon.

Once there I asked why couldn’t they just have told me this morning that the car was only in to be inspected? Had I known this I’d have waited. I was told that they inspect initially to see if they have the ability to carry out the repair at the centre, unfortunately on this occasion the scratch on the paint work requires a third party to correct it. I mentioned that it was clear in the report and pictures submitted initially On my collection day, that it was a paintwork scratch (actually submitted by Tesla and not me in collection), but I was told they still like to inspect before confirming what, how, when and by whom it needs to be done. What a poor business model for after sales service.......

I was then told that the Technician agreed that my drivers door rubber seal needs replacing, they said it’s a common issue but unfortunately the seal still has to be ordered in.

To be fair to the person that dealt with me they were fine, polite, apologetic and seemingly just following protocol.

So I handed back the key to the Model X (anti climax as was expecting it to be better) and went to inspect what hadn’t been done on my car :D . The car seemed fine and had been charged up. On entering the car I could see the centre console was open and my SD card disconnected.......I guess this is normal practice if sentry is on?

The drive home although frustrating was much better than being in the Model X courtesy car. However, I can’t help thinking I’ve lost 5 hours of my life which could easily have been avoided.

The car is now booked in for another date mid July, but to be honest I’m now pondering either waiting for the Nottingham SC to open and try that, or fix both issues myself. The seal for example is easy so may try one of the more robust aftermarket versions. The paint can be corrected by a good paint shop, albeit at my cost, but at least I know it will be done properly.

So my first experience at a Tesla SC is not a good one. Over the years I’ve used Audi, Toyota / Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and Fiat, with all being fine to excellent and never having this type of experience.

It’s also fair to say that the premises are very down market, a bit disorganised and a touch unkempt. Whilst I’m aware Tesla are still playing catch up in the Vehicle market, they do need to improve in this area also.

Still happy with the car itself, but now know that other aspects of Tesla ownership are slightly compromised.

Frustration got the better of me and instead of waiting until tomorrow to collect it, I drove back to Birmingham this afternoon.

Once there I asked why couldn’t they just have told me this morning that the car was only in to be inspected? Had I known this I’d have waited. I was told that they inspect initially to see if they have the ability to carry out the repair at the centre, unfortunately on this occasion the scratch on the paint work requires a third party to correct it. I mentioned that it was clear in the report and pictures submitted initially On my collection day, that it was a paintwork scratch (actually submitted by Tesla and not me in collection), but I was told they still like to inspect before confirming what, how, when and by whom it needs to be done. What a poor business model for after sales service.......

I was then told that the Technician agreed that my drivers door rubber seal needs replacing, they said it’s a common issue but unfortunately the seal still has to be ordered in.

To be fair to the person that dealt with me they were fine, polite, apologetic and seemingly just following protocol.

So I handed back the key to the Model X (anti climax as was expecting it to be better) and went to inspect what hadn’t been done on my car :D . The car seemed fine and had been charged up. On entering the car I could see the centre console was open and my SD card disconnected.......I guess this is normal practice if sentry is on?

The drive home although frustrating was much better than being in the Model X courtesy car. However, I can’t help thinking I’ve lost 5 hours of my life which could easily have been avoided.

The car is now booked in for another date mid July, but to be honest I’m now pondering either waiting for the Nottingham SC to open and try that, or fix both issues myself. The seal for example is easy so may try one of the more robust aftermarket versions. The paint can be corrected by a good paint shop, albeit at my cost, but at least I know it will be done properly.

So my first experience at a Tesla SC is not a good one. Over the years I’ve used Audi, Toyota / Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and Fiat, with all being fine to excellent and never having this type of experience.

It’s also fair to say that the premises are very down market, a bit disorganised and a touch unkempt. Whilst I’m aware Tesla are still playing catch up in the Vehicle market, they do need to improve in this area also.

Still happy with the car itself, but now know that other aspects of Tesla ownership are slightly compromised.
Glad you kind of sorted it, what MX did you get? I have their black P100D at the mo and although nice I do prefer the M3. Notts won't be open probably until oct-nov time I guess. 4 week site setup say from next week and then 8-10 weeks work I'm guessing. Then they fit out the place 2-4 week and training near end.

Glad you kind of sorted it, what MX did you get? I have their black P100D at the mo and although nice I do prefer the M3. Notts won't be open probably until oct-nov time I guess. 4 week site setup say from next week and then 8-10 weeks work I'm guessing. Then they fit out the place 2-4 week and training near end.

It was a 2018 MX75D. I had my younger son with me who had previously loved the MX in the showroom we visited back in Feb, but was totally underwhelmed with this one. It looked and felt tired (only done 20k miles), and given CV-19 wasn’t exactly clean inside either, my son commented that it had an odd smell! I know these cars are kindly used as courtesy cars but again the standard of them reflects the rest of today’s experience. It was set to operate in Chill mode, so not really able to get a feel for what this model is really like.

How did you find the P100D?

It was a 2018 MX75D. I had my younger son with me who had previously loved the MX in the showroom we visited back in Feb, but was totally underwhelmed with this one. It looked and felt tired (only done 20k miles), and given CV-19 wasn’t exactly clean inside either, my son commented that it had an odd smell! I know these cars are kindly used as courtesy cars but again the standard of them reflects the rest of today’s experience. It was set to operate in Chill mode, so not really able to get a feel for what this model is really like.

How did you find the P100D?

Shame that it came in that condition. Mine was not bad, usual scuffed rims. Terrible wipers, passenger rear door not working very well. Luckily they left it unlocked so ludicrous+ works and has FSD. Great fun at lights. Had no type 2 cabl when I got home so luckily my friend lent me his or would have been really stuck :/

I know what you mean about underwhelmed but the M3 inside is very space aged minimalist compared to the X and S and I have gotten use to that look.

Shame that it came in that condition. Mine was not bad, usual scuffed rims. Terrible wipers, passenger rear door not working very well. Luckily they left it unlocked so ludicrous+ works and has FSD. Great fun at lights. Had no type 2 cabl when I got home so luckily my friend lent me his or would have been really stuck :/

I know what you mean about underwhelmed but the M3 inside is very space aged minimalist compared to the X and S and I have gotten use to that look.
You did well then. At least you got to experience the car to it’s full capability. Good luck with collecting yours and hope the work is done to a good standard.

You did well then. At least you got to experience the car to it’s full capability. Good luck with collecting yours and hope the work is done to a good standard.
Ill find out next Friday (i hope!) its been carried out by a company up the road (on behalf of Tesla - Tesla calls them the Bodyshop) who look pretty decent and work on well known brands and supercars etc.

Looking at Teslafi, they have only works on my car for 3hrs. Its been there 2 weeks :( and they need it next week to finish it. Must be busy

Sorry for reviving an old thread, but I recently picked up my new Model X from the Bristol service centre for pain work and other issues to be sorted. There were a couple of paint issues that I was informed would be properly addressed.
But when I picked it up they had just done cheap smart repairs and they were bad, they also got overspray on the chrome trim and door rubbers and scratched the spoiler posts when polishing it.

I emailed them about it and they just came back with the car is within spec...

I don't think its too much to ask that a car costing £120K be repaired properly.