Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service is rapidly becoming one of the worst!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Personal relationships? That sounds like dealership talk

Doesn't Tesla want to be different from "traditional" dealerships (the vast majority which have been excellent to me)? The suggestion for customers to "kiss up" to Tesla sales advisors in order to get acceptable service is ridiculous. When I go to a "traditional" dealer, that Tesla owners love to look down on, there are usually some refreshment and cookies, fruits,..... I don't want, or have to, bring cookies to them (as someone mentioned upthread), Lol.

Umm, wow? 'Dealership talk' and 'kissing up to Tesla'? Good lord.

I tend to treat Tesla folks the same as others in my life - with respect and appreciation, until there is reason not to do so. And when one person screw up (Tesla or any other group), I blame the person, not the entire company.

But you guys do you. My life is working out just fine. :)

Love them or hate them Dealerships do have a place. Cars are not IPhones that work 99% of the time. Service is rarely needed on a phone unless the user damages it. Then it is often just a screen repair of complete replacement. Cars are much more complicated as Tesla is finding out but did not put a proper service network in place.

I tend to treat Tesla folks the same as others in my life - with respect and appreciation, until there is reason not to do so. And when one person screw up (Tesla or any other group), I blame the person, not the entire company.

You fail to see the irony. Eliminate the evil dealer! Just buy online and don't have to mess with a guy selling you something. The nice thing is I have that guys cell number.

Sadly I see people here all the time who need references on who to call. Or they get some national call line which is a dead end. Dealerships arent perfect but I would pay an extra 2 percent on sticker to have that personal touch within 5 miles.

• Helpful
Reactions: neroden
You fail to see the irony. Eliminate the evil dealer! Just buy online and don't have to mess with a guy selling you something. The nice thing is I have that guys cell number.

Sadly I see people here all the time who need references on who to call. Or they get some national call line which is a dead end. Dealerships arent perfect but I would pay an extra 2 percent on sticker to have that personal touch within 5 miles.
I can think of a lot of reasons to avoid dealerships, but wanting to not form relationships with the people you interact with was never on that list.

Showing appreciation and civility is how some of us choose to live our life. You may think that's weak. I assure you that no one who knows me would agree. :)

So no irony noted.

If you call your local SvC and ask for the (5-digit) extension to the front desk, then the next time you call the local number, press 9, enter the extension, and you should be routed to the front desk of that local SvC. Now, whether someone answers, else the calls rolls to a central call center is another matter.

4 visits to a local SvC later (this past month), and using the local extension has worked consistently *as a preferred means of follow up and inquiry* for example for work that spans multiple appointments.

Having said that, the online appointment-setting feature works well. The local SvC has suggested calling anyway if interested in a different time/day than those displayed, but as a first step, online has been peachy keen.

It is somewhat antithetical to be advised to not "bother" a *service* center with service concerns. That's what they're there for, and staffing appropriately to handle peak times (e.g., EOQ) is Tesla's responsibility - not yours. Tesla has somewhat made their own bed in this regard, since Service seems to be the dumping ground for EVERYTHING that can't get handled in 5 minutes via the 800# pre- or post-sale. So do they deserve bagels? Absolutely, and the Appreciation Days referenced above are a kind idea that *all* local/regional Owners Clubs should promulgate.

With that said, should you feel compelled to produce them for a minimum threshold of service matched by the Hyundai stealership down the road? Um, no.

I can think of a lot of reasons to avoid dealerships, but wanting to not form relationships with the people you interact with was never on that list.

Showing appreciation and civility is how some of us choose to live our life. You may think that's weak. I assure you that no one who knows me would agree. :)

So no irony noted.

I take it that you call the main number, hit the 5 digit extension, press 9, then the extension reroutes you and you end up in the central call center and you say: Hey friend! Do you remember me?

Personal relationships? That sounds like dealership talk

Doesn't Tesla want to be different from "traditional" dealerships (the vast majority which have been excellent to me)? The suggestion for customers to "kiss up" to Tesla sales advisors in order to get acceptable service is ridiculous. When I go to a "traditional" dealer, that Tesla owners love to look down on, there are usually some refreshment and cookies, fruits,..... I don't want, or have to, bring cookies to them (as someone mentioned upthread), Lol.

You all took @bonnie way out of context.

It’s something like honey being better than vinegar or winnng friends, influencing people - that sorta thing.

I don’t know my SC staff that well because I never have to come in. :(

When I do, I’ll be friendly and courteous.

• Informative
Reactions: neroden and bonnie
I take it that you call the main number, hit the 5 digit extension, press 9, then the extension reroutes you and you end up in the central call center and you say: Hey friend! Do you remember me?
No, actually I call my service advisor's cell phone or send him an email. If he's not around, I call someone else. As I mentioned to someone else in this thread (or another, not sure), you simply have to ask for a business card. They also know I prefer a text when tires have been swapped, whatever. At the beginning of the winter season, they showed me how to pop the lug nut cover and how to install the chains.

When I said "That's not good" ...
My first impression was that you were just channeling Linda Ronstadt, but yes, there is something more to it.
And I have the same thoughts on the development of European Service (i.e. Amsterdam for me personally.)
I used to have very good personal communications to the first and second generation staff, but that isn’t possible anymore. Current staff are effectively hidden from direct contact. Something I can understand from a business perspective, but don’t personally like.

Basically it’s a heads up for the (near) future where Tesla ownership will increase three- of fourfold in the next year, everywhere.

You all took @bonnie way out of context.

It’s something like honey being better than vinegar or winnng friends, influencing people - that sorta thing.

I don’t know my SC staff that well because I never have to come in. :(

When I do, I’ll be friendly and courteous.
I never said to be rude. There are countless threads on this website cheering for the extinction of dealerships. There are good ones and bad ones, but if you value a personal relationship or value the convenience of having a service center within 5 miles instead of 200 miles, then you will get better service from a dealer. There will come a point, assuming tesla can sell millions of cars, that a dealer/service model becomes a necessity.

Let Joe Schmoe spend his $ to open up a lot, have a stock for people to choose from, charge a couple % more because he is the only guy in the greater area, provide convenient local service to his buyers, and let him sell used cars to keep the lights on. Like I said, id pay a premium to have a service cwnter 2 miles away with parts in stock vs 200 miles and wait 6 weeks to get a windshield.

I never said to be rude. There are countless threads on this website cheering for the extinction of dealerships. There are good ones and bad ones, but if you value a personal relationship or value the convenience of having a service center within 5 miles instead of 200 miles, then you will get better service from a dealer. There will come a point, assuming tesla can sell millions of cars, that a dealer/service model becomes a necessity.

Let Joe Schmoe spend his $ to open up a lot, have a stock for people to choose from, charge a couple % more because he is the only guy in the greater area, provide convenient local service to his buyers, and let him sell used cars to keep the lights on. Like I said, id pay a premium to have a service cwnter 2 miles away with parts in stock vs 200 miles and wait 6 weeks to get a windshield.

Do you presently own a Tesla?

The model that Tesla is moving towards is having mobile service come to you.

Online purchase + mobile repair service works fine for me. Least hassle and cost for all involved.

Reactions: dgpcolorado
There are pros and cons to the call center. But if you want to reach the local SvC and dont have the 5 digit extension of your advisor, or a business card with their cell, you can choose option #2 when you hit the call center menu and it will route you to the local center. Unless they re-design the call tree.. in which case, I will hop in my car and make a personal visit and get a card. Thete are always workarounds

The local number is what I’ve been calling. It’s the same number I always used when calling my local SC. After an hour in the phone today, a rep explained to me that all SC will be transitioning to this new model to alleviate stress on the SC so they can concentrate on dealing with owners who are in the SC.

This indicates complete dumbassery on the part of Tesla management. I have never managed to get anything out of Tesla without talking directly to a specific service center and getting a contact person. The call center is a complete waste of money.

Do you presently own a Tesla?

The model that Tesla is moving towards is having mobile service come to you.

Online purchase + mobile repair service works fine for me. Least hassle and cost for all involved.

You should try to reach mobile service on the phone some time. Didn't work a couple of months ago. There's no "secretary" number for it. I ran through all the extensions for the people in my regional mobile service, which I'd gotten at an earlier (disorganized, incompetent) service event... and got either dead air or voicemail. Ended up having to use the PERSONAL phone number of one of them (whose business phone had not rung!) in order to reach them.

I agree with the post that began this thread. My Model S nav became severely disoriented after the last major upgrade, so I called the service number. After about a 20 minute wait, I spoke to an agent who looked over my logs and told me that the new maps had downloaded but, due to their size, had not fully loaded. When I mentioned I was planning a trip for the following day, he assured me everything would be fine.

It wasn't. The nav sometimes put me on the correct road, but mostly had me off road, sometimes many miles away. Directions were naturally incorrect, so we pulled out the iPhone. When I returned home I called service again. This time I spoke to an agent who told me that, in fact, the new map did not download and that was my problem. I was passed to another agent who confirmed that, and told me that he would contact my local service center to have them initiate the download. He further stated that if that, for some reason, was unsuccessful, he would have them come to my house and upgrade the maps there.

I waited four days, but no maps downloaded and no one contacted me, so I called the SC (by using the option that my car was already there so it would ring at the SC). I only got VM, and left a message. When I didn't hear, I sent the service agent I usually communicate with an email, but never received a response.

At this point, one week after my first call, I tried calling service again. After nearly an hour on hold, I spoke to an agent who listened to my issue, and then put me on hold while he reviewed the previous calls and my logs. After 5 minutes, the Tesla phone system transferred me to my SC and told me to leave a message, which seemed pointless, so I didn't. The agent never called back. My nav is dysfunctional and I have not got a clue what to do except waste half a day and drive to the SC. I think that is unacceptable. Really unhappy. Thanks for reading this.

I agree with the post that began this thread. My Model S nav became severely disoriented after the last major upgrade, so I called the service number. After about a 20 minute wait, I spoke to an agent who looked over my logs and told me that the new maps had downloaded but, due to their size, had not fully loaded. When I mentioned I was planning a trip for the following day, he assured me everything would be fine.

It wasn't. The nav sometimes put me on the correct road, but mostly had me off road, sometimes many miles away. Directions were naturally incorrect, so we pulled out the iPhone. When I returned home I called service again. This time I spoke to an agent who told me that, in fact, the new map did not download and that was my problem. I was passed to another agent who confirmed that, and told me that he would contact my local service center to have them initiate the download. He further stated that if that, for some reason, was unsuccessful, he would have them come to my house and upgrade the maps there.

I waited four days, but no maps downloaded and no one contacted me, so I called the SC (by using the option that my car was already there so it would ring at the SC). I only got VM, and left a message. When I didn't hear, I sent the service agent I usually communicate with an email, but never received a response.

At this point, one week after my first call, I tried calling service again. After nearly an hour on hold, I spoke to an agent who listened to my issue, and then put me on hold while he reviewed the previous calls and my logs. After 5 minutes, the Tesla phone system transferred me to my SC and told me to leave a message, which seemed pointless, so I didn't. The agent never called back. My nav is dysfunctional and I have not got a clue what to do except waste half a day and drive to the SC. I think that is unacceptable. Really unhappy. Thanks for reading this.

Go to your account page on Tesla’s website and escalate your concern.

Not sure about personal relationship but one's own attitude always makes the difference. Everyone is a human and likes to be treated respectably. I've never met a "rude" Tesla employee in my 5 years dealing with them. The way some people complain I don't think I'd be nice to them if I were working for Tesla either.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: outdoors
Not sure about personal relationship but one's own attitude always makes the difference. Everyone is a human and likes to be treated respectably. I've never met a "rude" Tesla employee in my 5 years dealing with them. The way some people complain I don't think I'd be nice to them if I were working for Tesla either.

Maybe they complained because after multiple efforts of getting nowhere, patience is wearing thin? If Tesla employees were competent from the get-go and not pass the customer's issues around and avoiding them like hot potatoes, this discontent would not exist?

In my experience (5 years, 4 cars) Tesla Service people have always been nothing but stellar. The problem is Tesla corporate. No matter how much service people want to help you, if Tesla won't give them the parts needed to fix the car, or loaners to give you, or even admit they have a problem so poor service center people don't just keep swapping bad parts for bad parts just to have you come back over and over, so you will and up with complaints. No attitude you could possibly have will move you ahead in the phone hold queue, or magically make Tesla send the parts you need to the service center any sooner.