Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla service model to switch to Mobile Service as primary means

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suspect Tesla is finding it hard and expensive to find enough real estate to support their growing service needs.

Or, perhaps, they're trying to differentiate their service offering from the standard ICE service model where you are required to take it into a shop of some sort to perform any maintenance. Just another EV differentiation where people say, "that's cool".

The mobile service is much better in my situation since the closest service center is 100 miles away.

I live only 2 or 3 miles from my local SC, so I wonder how that will affect their approach on service for me. I have an appointment for service next week, in fact, to replace a door handle. I have read that rangers have done that in the past. But since it is a fairly quick job (2 hours, they said), they won't provide a loaner and scheduled it for me to come in.

I am glad to see the mobile program expanding because I have heard considerable griping about the lack of service facilities in northern New England (Maine, new Hampshire, Vermont). Maybe they will station a mobile van in one or more locations in that area. Otherwise the mobile tech will spend way too many hours driving back and forth to the two service centers in metro Boston.

My nearest service center is over 300 miles away so mobile service was a factor in my purchase decision.

The cost involved with supporting a customer at 300 miles away would be a very interesting hurdle to overcome. Perhaps what they're doing is batching customers and maybe heading your way once per month for non-emergency related tasks. That way they can hit a handful of customers around you (or on the way to you) with other non-emergency tasks. Otherwise the cost of paying a guy 600 miles roundtrip plus expenses would be almost prohibitive.

My only problem with this is that taking my car to the service center near my work is far easier and quicker than going/staying home for the service. I faced this with a recent tire change: instead of taking 10 minutes to bring my car to the service center near my work on my lunch break, I had to stay home all day. Granted, the calculus there would change if mobile service was available on nights or weekends, but, at least for the tires, they said no.

I have a service center appointment tomorrow and have been pinged twice about using mobile service instead. It is convenient and I would use it except I desperately need a car wash - if mobile service can do washes on top of service, I’d be completely sold.

Oh man, this made me cringe a bit. The SC local to me uses brooms and horse brushes to wash the car. It's horrifying to watch. You would think that a car company like Tesla would use some quality wash procedures, but I haven't witnessed it local to me. Given, I'm a bit ODC when it comes to my car finish and paint.

Reactions: Pinot.Noir
Oh man, this made me cringe a bit. The SC local to me uses brooms and horse brushes to wash the car. It's horrifying to watch. You would think that a car company like Tesla would use some quality wash procedures, but I haven't witnessed it local to me. Given, I'm a bit ODC when it comes to my car finish and paint.

Very odd that each SC does it different. Devon PA I'm not sure, so i always decline. But i did see in cherry hill they use a pressure washer and squeegee to dry

The cost involved with supporting a customer at 300 miles away would be a very interesting hurdle to overcome. Perhaps what they're doing is batching customers and maybe heading your way once per month for non-emergency related tasks. That way they can hit a handful of customers around you (or on the way to you) with other non-emergency tasks. Otherwise the cost of paying a guy 600 miles roundtrip plus expenses would be almost prohibitive.

Oh they absolutely batch service calls. But we have over 30 Tesla’s in the Jackson area so the Ranger (ok, mobile service guy) is here about once a week. Two interesting points: we have a new guy who is based in Boise (which is ~45 miles further than the Salt Lake SC) and he often pulls an auto trailer to haul disabled Tesla’s to nearby garages where he can rent a lift to service the car.

Maybe i’m too trusting, but when I need service I just give him my garage door code. Winters here are a little too brutal to ask him to service the car while outdoors so I let him crank up the heat and work in my garage. The only time I’ve ever taken either S to the SC is for the annual maintenance.