Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Service Plan Change

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems to me that the best way of dealing with this "low maintenance" EV is to skip the service plan, and spend the $600 a-la-carte every 2-3 years, that way you get the factory service, TSBs, etc. And you don't spend more servicing your "low maintenance" vehicle than you would your old "high maintenance" ICE

The only catch with that, is that by the "letter of the law" on Extended Service Agreement, you have made yourself ineligible for covered repairs.

Let's say 2-3 years from now there turns out to be a rash of pricey failures/issues and you think perhaps you'd like to buy in to the ESA (which would be priced accordingly if the cars proved problematic). Since you'd skipped recommended service intervals, Tesla could deny repair coverage under the ESA. I imagine the website would still let you buy it, however, but you'd never get it refunded if denied service was what prompted the request.

In for a penny, in for a pound. The 4 year Service Plan (and/or minimum 3 a-la-carte annual inspections, depending how you interpret the calendar) are REQUIRED to maintain even the OPTION of buying into the Extended Service Agreement later.

Except that I can't even stomach the concept of paying more in maintenance for this "low maintenance" EV than I pay for servicing an ICE vehicle. It seems to me that the plans are insanely overpriced, and the best bet is to make sure everything works perfectly at the end of the warranty, and do the occasional service every few years thereafter.

The car is already extremely expensive, It's supposed to make up for it in savings on fuel and maintenance, but if the maintenance is more expensive than an ICE vehicle, all that's left is fuel savings, and it takes a very long time to make up 100,000 (plus maintenance) by those fuel savings.

It is not Tesla's fault in Fla. I take delivery in 6 days and looked into the extended service plans but Fla has a law that prevents these from being available due to some unscrupulous air conditioning companies that offered extended plans then left the state leaving the buyers empty handed. It kind of makes my choice easy. I have no choice. Just counting on Tesla to provide a near maintenance free machine.

Seems to me that the best way of dealing with this "low maintenance" EV is to skip the service plan, and spend the $600 a-la-carte every 2-3 years, that way you get the factory service, TSBs, etc. And you don't spend more servicing your "low maintenance" vehicle than you would your old "high maintenance" ICE
At some point Tesla may also quit installing those free upgrades that became available during the period that you "went bare". I paid for the full meal deal, and my service guys really roll out the red carpet, although I need to ask about the beefed up trunk floor panel since I think I have the flimsy version....

Have we determined that TSBs will be covered under annual service? Last I checked they were under warranty and all cars got them regardless of whether they were paying for service or not.

Have we determined that TSBs will be covered under annual service? Last I checked they were under warranty and all cars got them regardless of whether they were paying for service or not.

TSBs have always been listed as "Warranty" on my service repair paperwork. So I think that implies rather strongly that they would be covered whether or not you have a service plan.

For what it is worth, I got the 8 year service up front as a full disclosure sort of thing.

Changes to service plans... And the debate continues... Sigh... To buy or not to buy. One thing is for certain, according to my service center, unless you prepay for service they will only give you an alignment/rotation at the date of service vice every 6k miles...

this is makes no sense to me, but is what I was told... Hrmmmm

I think it's the opposite, since there is supposedly no longer a mileage limitation to the service plans, if you drive a lot of miles it makes sense to get the 4 year prepaid. If you don't drive a lot then it makes sense to skip the annual. I will probably be getting the 4 years as I have to decide in 3 days.

I don't think if you drive a lot of miles in a year its a good idea to do the pre-paid service. If you do "average" miles, then the 4 year plan makes sense, not so sure the 8 year plan ever makes sense.

More thoughts here:
Should you buy the Tesla Pre-Paid Service Plan? - TESLARATI.com

Well, I emailed ownership again about the mileage restriction and the response I received was, that there is still a mileage restriction:

"This is Akalin from Technical Support in Fremont, CA. Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors Service regarding your concern about the service plans. The service plans all have a mileage restriction, please see below: (screen shot of the service plan pages)"

I have the prepaid plan and I called in for an appointment for my 25,000 mile service yesterday May16. The first available appointment in Orange County is June 25 more than a month away. I asked for a loaner and was told they do not know if they will have any available. If necessary they will valet an Enterprise rental to me! Nothing is wrong with the car so it is no big deal. I know they are slammed with work, but 5-6 weeks for a service appointment. I stopped by (with an appointment) on a Saturday a couple of months ago to have the tires rotated. 1 1/2 hours later they had it done--this is with an appointment. After they rotated the tires they asked if I would like the car washed--no thank you I have already waited 1 1/2 hours. Tesla needs to scale up the service centers quickly.

Well, I emailed ownership again about the mileage restriction and the response I received was, that there is still a mileage restriction:

"This is Akalin from Technical Support in Fremont, CA. Thank you for contacting Tesla Motors Service regarding your concern about the service plans. The service plans all have a mileage restriction, please see below: (screen shot of the service plan pages)"

That is extremely disappointing to hear. I wish I did not buy my service plan now. I bought it in part on the assumption (based on emails from Tesla posted here) that it could be used once a year, instead of every 12K miles.

I'm not even at 5 months and I'm almost at 11k miles. I do not need service 2 times a year, for a car that is supposed to be low maintenance.

the agreement you made with Tesla is still unfortunately based on the following:
service.PNG

This is what they are bound to. If they do anything else I would be thankful, but there isn't really anything you can do about it. If someone has a copy of an agreement which states otherwise (even through email) you might be able to leverage that to get what you want, but otherwise this is what we all agreed to.

PS: I broke down and decided to pay for the service for 4 years... Worst case, I just say screw it, and sell the car in 4 years.

Another clarification for service plan:

"As far as the service plan/ annual services go. I apologize that you keep getting the run around. It's either 12,500/or 1 yr which ever comes first. To give you an example it's like when you first buy a gas powered car and they tell you the basic warranty is either three yrs or 36,000 miles which ever comes first. So based on that principal if your coming near the mileage or the year I would advise to have an annual service completed. Remember even though this car is packed with amazing technology it does need a check up to make sure that technology is running up to par. It's up to you in deciding whether or not you want to go a head and purchase the service plan or not. It's a good idea just because every bring is pre paid a head of time rather than paying every time you do have an appointment. "